Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.C. Kikuyama H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2005
Pearl City, Hawaii
ive searched around the forums and havent really found a good answer to my question. heres the deal: i am a professional video disc jockey. i own over 30k of audio video equipment including 2 pioneer dvj x1's, edirol v4 video mixer, mcon triple display monitor, pioneer cdj 1000, cmx 3000, djm 3000 x 2, sony vpl-cx85 lcd projector, da-lite video screens, 3600 vz crown amps, jbl srx18 subs and srx15 tops, dvd library, cavs karaoke, martin lighting system, etc... i am 4000 watts of club on the go. not your average system. btw, thats one of 3 systems. anyway...

i also own a pm g5 dual 2.0, 23" cd, no other real goodies yet. i want to be able to record from my video outs to a video in on the mac... not only do i need to be able to view the 2 video signals, but i need to be able to mix 2 audio tracks. more would be better so that i could throw in samples, voice overs, or loops.

i could do somethings live and just record it to my hard drive, but i want to be able to manipulate the audio and video in a non destructive editing environment. is this too much to ask for?

i want to produce some promotional dvds for my business and incorporate footage from some of my past gigs and what my system is capable of doing... i.e. video mixing and large screen projection.

thanks in advance for your help

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
D.C. Kikuyama H said:
i could do somethings live and just record it to my hard drive, but i want to be able to manipulate the audio and video in a non destructive editing environment. is this too much to ask for?
While i do not know what you do with your audio/video, you may want to look into Max/MSP (audio) and Jitter (video) by Cycling '74.

You can basically do anything you can dream of within these programs. For instance, if you were scratching a cd, it would be possible to write a patch in these programs that would "convert" the audio scratching into video "scratching" in real time. Or an audio event could trigger an video event, etc. The previous ideas are just the tip of the iceberg as to what you can do with these programs. It is a steep learning curve, but really can pay off in the end!

I don't know if this would help to solve your problem, but it may open a new world to you. :D

D.C. Kikuyama H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2005
Pearl City, Hawaii
FCP

ive looked into this program, even asked the guys at the apple store here... they had no idea of what im trying to do. and they didnt think FCP could do what i wanted. ill look into FCP some more... seems like it would do what i want. also, is there anyway to encrypt the video with some type of copyright protection when i burn to dvd?

thanks again for the comments

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
D.C. Kikuyama H said:
ive looked into this program, even asked the guys at the apple store here... they had no idea of what im trying to do. and they didnt think FCP could do what i wanted. ill look into FCP some more... seems like it would do what i want. also, is there anyway to encrypt the video with some type of copyright protection when i burn to dvd?

Yes, FCP studio includes DVD studio PRO. Its a professional DVD authoring program, and it will give you the ability to do everything you see in a store bought DVD. That being said, it is not something you'll be able to buy and expect to know how to do everything. Its going to be hard (for amateurs)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
D.C. Kikuyama H said:
also, is there anyway to encrypt the video with some type of copyright protection when i burn to dvd?

AFAIK you can't add copy-protection to DVDs you burn at home. It can only be added by replication facilities. You could add a "bug" or water mark in the lower right hand corner of the screen though if you are worried about people ripping off your work.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.