Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mykhaeli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Sunflower Galaxy
Greetings!

Finally gonna buy one.
-I'm just hoping there isn't a new one in March...

A safe time to get one?
(Haven't heard any credible rumors of one next yr.)

TanX!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
You want one now, but are willing to wait until March and are willing to not having its use for 6 months on speculation?

Maybe the question is, do you REALLY want an Apple TV? If so, buy one. I cannot see waiting until March if you want something available now. Waiting a few weeks fine, waiting half a year, on total rumor and speculation (of which there isn't any around Apple TV) really?

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
You want one now, but are willing to wait until March and are willing to not having its use for 6 months on speculation?

Maybe the question is, do you REALLY want an Apple TV? If so, buy one. I cannot see waiting until March if you want something available now. Waiting a few weeks fine, waiting half a year, on total rumor and speculation (of which there isn't any around Apple TV) really?

+1

i could see if you think a new one is coming, like, before xmas. but next year? seriously?

I haven't heard any credible rumors, but I hear there may be a new iphone next year. think it's safe to get the 5 now? I'd hate to get one now and see a new one next fall.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Personally I don't see an update in the near future, as I don't really see what could be added. The Apple TV 3 was a piecemeal upgrade that simply introduced 1080p support. Nothing else was added. And I don't see what else could be added to the hardware configuration. The only other thing people are really interested in are VoD services/some kind of App Store, which would presumably be a software upgrade.

I agree with the posters above. PLUS it's only $99... Now if it were a $1,300 mbp that you were debating waiting on, that'd be a bit different.

I don't really see Apple updating the box again honestly (unless they cancel the tv set initiative). I think the next update will be the tv set and it will cost in the 1500 to 2000 range. So not really comparable, plus you could still use the Apple TV on your old TVs :)

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Greetings!

Finally gonna buy one.

A safe time to get one?

Look at it this way:

There isn't much small stuff that can be added to the V3, so the next one will be a big switch. Which means -- because this is Apple we're talking about -- it'll give with one hand whilst taking away with the other. You pay $100 today, Apple release a V4 which adds some really cool feature and removes something equally as cool. Your current ATV is worth $60-$70 second hand, and if the change is hard enough, possibly nearer $80. So you are either:

a) very glad you got the V3 before Apple screwed up the platform, or
b) $20-30 out of pocket, but you've had the device for six months anyway.

I'm not sure I see the risk here.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Another point to add ...

If you bought an aTV2 right before the aTV3 came out, you'd actually be ahead right now. aTV2's go for over $120 (or so) on eBay/Craigslist due to the fact that they can be jailbroken.

Now, once the aTV3 is jailbroken, the aTV2 prices will tumble.

Let's assume that the aTV3 will be jailbroken soon. When the aTV4 comes out, the aTV3's will command a high price. The only problem with this scenario is if the aTV4 is a complete revamp and so great that all previous aTVs are instant junk ... but then you're only out $100.

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Friendly forum?

Look, can we stop busting the guy's balls and questioning his question? Is is not up to him how much he wants to spend? One man's $99 may differ from another's - especially in today's economy.

He asked a simple enough question. If you don't have a constructive comment, how about giving a guy a break, huh? Some of the posters above just wanted to help - and more credit to them. Life can be tough enough without virtual hassles too. Let's be nice.

Look, can we stop busting the guy's balls and questioning his question? Is is not up to him how much he wants to spend? One man's $99 may differ from another's - especially in today's economy.

He asked a simple enough question. If you don't have a constructive comment, how about giving a guy a break, huh? Some of the posters above just wanted to help - and more credit to them. Life can be tough enough without virtual hassles too. Let's be nice.

uhh..... I didn't see anybody being rude? He asked for our opinions, and we gave them to him. I feel like everybody here has been constructive. Sure, I understand that maybe $100 will be a lot to him, but compared to most electronics (especially Apple products!!) the price is quite low. Compound that to the lack of rumors. I think everyone is mostly just on board telling him to go ahead and purchase away!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have a hunch that a new AppleTV may come with the launch of iTunes 11. At the very least wait until the October event.

Otherwise, it's $99. If a new one comes out, it's not like you lost much. You can resell it and lose at most $50 or you can repurpose it for another room.

$99 isn't much to hesitate over. Most monthly cable bills exceed that.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

And yet you added nothing to help the op yourself so off the soapbox please and move along. Thank you.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
It's a $100. If I bought one today and they released a new one next month I wouldn't be mad. Sell it easily for $70 and buy the new one. If were talking about a MBP ok, but stressing over a $100 purchase is crazy.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Look, if you're thinking about getting an Apple TV and you think you'd use it and enjoy it then you should buy one now. If you can afford the $99 now, then you won't have any regrets if, by some chance, it's updated half a year from now. If you're so strapped for cash right now that $99 is an investment that you're worried will be outdated in six months, then you probably have better stuff to spend your money on, but that's up to you.

Regardless of any of that, nobody here really expects to see an update to the ATV any time soon. Certainly not by Christmas, probably not early next year, and most likely not until next spring/summer at the earliest, and even that's complete and total guesswork. Chances are you won't see an update for another year or so. If you want one, buy it now. And if the update to the ATV six months to a year from now is son incredibly awesome that you can't live without it, then buy that too.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Greetings!

Finally gonna buy one.

A safe time to get one?

TanX!

Go ahead and get one now, they're great. My mother bought one two years ago (gen 2) - I had her sell it on eBay recently, she got $160 and went and bought an ATV3 (paid to upgrade!!). She doesn't have any 1080p content so hasn't seen any improvements in the new one (but loves it just the same), and like one other poster said here, what else could they do to it in a gen 4? It's pretty damn good the way it is now, and it's been that way for a long time, so even if they do upgrade it, you could sell yours (Apple resale value is always good), or just keep it and enjoy it knowing any new features might not even be noticed by you as the device is near perfect the way it is. I'm a huge ATV advocate, have been since I pre-ordered my ATV gen 1 and dumped cable years ago! :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Get it sooner ...most upgrades are via software like recently added Hulu which makes the box (ATV2 in my case) finally really usefull.

Even if a new ATV would come you still could use the ATV 3 as AirPlay "connector" in case you have iDevices.

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
And yet you added nothing to help the op yourself so off the soapbox please and move along. Thank you.

Funny,I didn't single you out, yet you responded. So I guess you knew you were being rude. Kinda like you were with "so off the soapbox please and move along. Thank you."

Speaks for itself I think.

This may be a virtual board, but try to be a little more courteous to other people Marc. We prefer a helpful environment.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.