PDA

View Full Version : 2000 iMac won't startup

layton
Oct 5, 2012, 10:28 AM
I have an old iMac that I use to run some old software that isn't available for the newer Mac OS (it runs on OS9). I shut the computer down normally last night and today it won't startup. There's no startup sound or any indication that it's getting any power at all, as if it isn't even plugged in. Does anyone know what might be the issue and if there's a possible fix? Thanks.

Shane1905
Oct 5, 2012, 10:31 AM
I have an old iMac that I use to run some old software that isn't available for the newer Mac OS (it runs on OS9). I shut the computer down normally last night and today it won't startup. There's no startup sound or any indication that it's getting any power at all, as if it isn't even plugged in. Does anyone know what might be the issue and if there's a possible fix? Thanks.

First things first, have you checked the fuse on the power lead/supply?

Intell
Oct 5, 2012, 10:35 AM
The power supply could just be dead. Although, I've always known the power supply's in that model iMac to be very robust.

Because this is a PowerPC Mac, you may get more help in the PowerPC section of this forum. You can ask that your thread be moved by clicking on the triangular report icon on you starting post and request a thread move to the PowerPC section.

layton
Oct 5, 2012, 11:12 AM
First things first, have you checked the fuse on the power lead/supply?

I didn't realize there was a fuse in there. I'll have a look when I get back to my office. Thanks.

Intell
Oct 5, 2012, 11:16 AM
I didn't realize there was a fuse in there. I'll have a look when I get back to my office. Thanks.

I believe s/he was talking about the fuse on the surge protector. They do have a fuse inside, but they are ceramic fused and don't blow unless really over stressed. It's unlikely that the internal fuse is blown. Have you tried a different outlet in a different room?

layton
Oct 5, 2012, 11:38 AM
I found a power cord from an original iMac that I had (it also died) and tried that but still no change. I did discover, however, that when I left either cord unplugged for 10 seconds or so and then plugged them back in, the computer would make a slight noise. Then if I hit the power button there would be a click and a half-second high pitched hum/whine and then it would cut out again. I assume that if a fuse was the issue, there would be no activity at all when pressing the start button.

Intell
Oct 5, 2012, 11:38 AM
Does it make the normal screen crackle noise as it trys to turn on?

layton
Oct 5, 2012, 11:45 AM
I believe s/he was talking about the fuse on the surge protector. They do have a fuse inside, but they are ceramic fused and don't blow unless really over stressed. It's unlikely that the internal fuse is blown. Have you tried a different outlet in a different room?

The iMac is connected to a power bar with other electronic devices that still work. I tried different plugs on the bar without any success.

----------

Does it make the normal screen crackle noise as it trys to turn on?

I'm not sure the power lasts long enough for that to happen. It cuts out pretty fast.

Intell
Oct 5, 2012, 11:47 AM
Does the screen make the thunk noise that normally occurred before the crackle? You could try resetting the PMU.

Shane1905
Oct 5, 2012, 01:18 PM

Sorry, I should have asked what part of the world your in first, here in the uk it's standard for the plug on the end of the cable (for almost all electrical appliances) to be protected by a fuse, either 3A or 13A. It sounds like the power supply inside the machine itself is the problem. Feel like opening her and getting your hands dirty? I'm an electrician so can talk you through checking the power supply. But it might be worth double checking with someone more familiar with your pc as I'll freely admit I've never owned one.

Intell
Oct 5, 2012, 03:23 PM
Unless you know exactly what you're doing inside of an iMac, don't open one. Their CRT screens contain a deadly charge for years after they were last used. Unless you have been trained, don't open the CRT half of the iMac. This is the coloured half, the white bottom half is safe to open. So long as you don't go poking around too much.