PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G4 MDD 867Mhz DP- $25 - good deal?

davidg4781
Oct 5, 2012, 04:35 PM
I stopped by a thrift store and found a PowerMac G4 for $25. The case looks to be in good condition but dirty. Inside the HDD is unplugged and there's no memory. There also looks like the metal part that goes against the heat sink when closed is bent a bit.

Thoughts? I've been wanting one for a long time but gave up when I had to buy a new car. I was seeing a lot for about $100 but in good shape.

cocacolakid
Oct 6, 2012, 01:31 AM
That doesn't sound like a great deal for the condition it is in and without knowing for a fact that it even works. If the power supply or logic board are dead it's a waste of $25. I'd pass and keep looking. I know prices and availability differ greatly based on where you live, but if you keep an eye on eBay you can even find some deals there if you are patient (and just aren't having any luck locally). Shipping will add $$ but you can often find those in very nice condition for under $100 shipped if you are just patient.

davidg4781
Oct 6, 2012, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I ended up passing on it. I remember some older RAM was pretty expensive so I thought right there it's going to get rather costly.

Zotaccian
Oct 6, 2012, 03:34 AM
Yeah, paying 25$ for machine which is missing parts and is probably broken is not a good deal, especially if motherboard is dead.

I bought Dual G4 1.42GHz for 40$ + shipping, it is in good condition but it was missing a hard drive.