PDA

View Full Version : Song tagging

Sphinx
Aug 28, 2005, 04:19 PM
This post is similar to the previous one. I have my music sorted into different catagories. Comedy, rock, country, ect. Example: 70's - War - Low rider. This is the only song I have for this group so it is named as such. When it is imported to the ipod, the tagging software puts Low Rider it the title column. War in the artist column. It may seem that it is a minor issue, but when I have to re-name appox. 7500 songs that is a big task. Any suggestions on turnig off the auto tagging. I called Apple, the tech said it seemed to be a simple request, but had no info to give me.

Thanks in advance

ipod 60 photo

Windows XP, Pentium 4HT

kainjow
Aug 28, 2005, 10:26 PM
What do you mean by "autotagging"? When you download songs off the iTMS, they are automatically "tagged". When you import CD's in iTunes, iTunes will "tag" your songs only if you want it to (Preferences).

Heb1228
Aug 28, 2005, 10:31 PM
When I used windows, there was some program I used that would go through and tag your songs from the filenames. It was customizeable, so I think you could get it to do what you need. Try searching versiontracker.com or download.com.

I'm not sure what you mean by autotagging either. Is this done by iTunes or Windows or some third-party app?

Sphinx
Aug 29, 2005, 12:11 AM
When songs are imported, they are re-named. Even with drag and drop. example: I have numerous ACDC songs. In my Windows file I have them named:

ACDC - Dirty deeds
ACDC - Hells Bells
ACDC - Thunderstruck
ACDC - Back in Black

When they are imported they show up as:

Name column Artist column
ACDC Hells bells
Thunderstruck ACDC
Dirty Deeds ACDC
Track 01 artist

Which means that the songs are scattered all over the place. If it was just one band it wouldn't be difficult. My files are pretty organized. I would like them to stay that way if possible. Having to re-name each file would be a tedious task indeed. Musicmatch has a tagging function, but you have to ask it to do it. You select a song, it searches the net for info, gives you all the info on that song, re-names the file.

kainjow
Aug 29, 2005, 12:15 AM
iTunes will not use the filename as the title of the song if the title is already provided inside the MP3 file. You need to edit this info either with iTunes or another tagging program.

Sphinx
Aug 29, 2005, 08:02 AM
Then why does it only do it sometimes? In the example I gave, back in black and hells bells are on the same album, yet itunes lists them differently. The songs were imported to the hard drive at the same time from the same disc, so thats where I'm confused.

If all else fails, does anybody know of a tagging program that will let me do what I want to?

Or is there a way to remove the tagging info from the mp3 file?

toneloco2881
Aug 29, 2005, 02:00 PM
Then why does it only do it sometimes? In the example I gave, back in black and hells bells are on the same album, yet itunes lists them differently. The songs were imported to the hard drive at the same time from the same disc, so thats where I'm confused.

If all else fails, does anybody know of a tagging program that will let me do what I want to?

Or is there a way to remove the tagging info from the mp3 file?
This behavior only happens on certain song's because the "tagging" info is different amongst the songs. An Mp3, AAC, etc song has it's file information embedded within the file itself. iTunes reads tag information rather than file name info, along with the majority of most jukebox programs, and portable players. This is advantageous because, you maintain your own preference on naming schemes(i.e artist-song, artist-album..) yet for consistency purposes it remains organized across various programs, and players

To possibly answer your question, in iTunes just right-click on the file and choose get-info. From here you can change the tagging info for one, or more songs at a time. Furthermore; I believe there are some applescripts you can download that will take the file name of the song, and import it into the tag info for your songs? Most of my music is tagged correctly because i either rip it from cd's or thru the iTunes music store, yet some p2p stuff I have is not. In this case i made a habit of tagging songs immediately after importing to iTunes. It makes it sooo much easier, when using your music across various platforms, programs, etc..

Hope this helps some!

rainman::|:|
Aug 29, 2005, 03:11 PM
No offense here, but you want iTunes to read your mind, but in reality, it's a computer. So you have to have the data in a useable format, which isn't not. Tag it all, just like we've all had to do at some point. Organizing MP3s by filename died in the 90s when ID3 tags caught on. Surely you're not new to the idea that computers can be pretty annoying when they want to be :)

Sphinx
Aug 29, 2005, 08:23 PM
No offense taken. I figured out the solution though. I used Musicmatch Jukebox. Select as many songs as you wish, right click, edit, remove track tags. Musicmatch wipes them clean. Drag and drop, there you have it. It's not that I don't appreciate upgraded technology, but somtimes there is nothing wrong with the old way. Many hours were spent organizing the files and I can find what I'm looking for in no time. Now I'm happy. Thanks to Heb1228 and kianjow for pointing me in another direction. Looking outside itunes was the key.

Thanks again