PDA

View Full Version : 'Apple Store' App Updated for iPhone 5

MacRumors
Oct 5, 2012, 10:50 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/05/apple-store-app-updated-for-iphone-5/)

Apple today updated its Apple Store (http://www.appshopper.com/lifestyle/apple-store) app for iOS [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id375380948?mt=8)], adding support for the larger screen of the iPhone 5.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/apple_store_app_iphone_5.jpg
Compatibility with the larger 4-inch screen of the iPhone 5 also means that the app will be optimized for the fifth-generation iPod touch when it becomes available. Apple is preparing to ship (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/05/apple-preparing-to-begin-shipping-fifth-generation-ipod-touch-to-customers/) the first orders of the device, with the actual availability date being rumored for October 9.

Article Link: 'Apple Store' App Updated for iPhone 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/05/apple-store-app-updated-for-iphone-5/)

dmelgar
Oct 5, 2012, 10:52 PM
About time. If it took Apple this long for their own store app, how long will it take the hundreds of thousands of other apps to update.

topmounter
Oct 5, 2012, 10:53 PM
Revolutionary!

McGiord
Oct 5, 2012, 10:54 PM
So, what is it about the cases and bumpers? Why Apple is not selling any?

jvpython
It's there own app! It should've been updated the day the iPhone 5 came out!

rorschach
Still no iPad version?

NYhaven
Oct 5, 2012, 10:58 PM
These iPhone 5 updates can't come any sooner :|

ArtyBolshevik
Oct 5, 2012, 11:12 PM
Come on Apple! Give us an iPad version. It's been too long now.

Oldfash33
Oct 5, 2012, 11:16 PM
Ya where's the iPad specific app?

carlos916
Oct 5, 2012, 11:18 PM
I got a chub

dethmaShine
Oct 5, 2012, 11:26 PM
About time. If it took Apple this long for their own store app, how long will it take the hundreds of thousands of other apps to update.

I will chime in there.

I had my credit card expired two weeks back and my AppleID through which I buy apps was associated with this card. Given I was lazy and didn't care about the updates as I am extremely busy these ays I didn't update my bank info.

After 2 weeks, I had 41 updates for my iPhone 4S and 34 out of them 'included support for iPhone 5'.

I am just going to say that Apple did delay this although they should've not. But you must understand that this is not a very important app; pretty important for their business but people are only recently receiving their iPhone 5 devices. Had it been the case that the app didn't support some kind of device before the iPhone 5 launch, this would have been atrocious.

Just my 2 cents.

nagromme
Oct 5, 2012, 11:37 PM
No use of Passbook? Low-hanging fruit there.

mrgraff
Oct 5, 2012, 11:49 PM

Still, you'd think buying an Apple gift card and adding it to PassBook would be a new feature in the Apple Store app.

Apple...
Oct 5, 2012, 11:50 PM
How would Passbook improve it?

krown89
Oct 5, 2012, 11:55 PM
For the iPad the resolution is high enough where you can use the regular apple site. And yes I can't believe it took them this long to optimize it for the 5. Smh the company should lead by example.

jeremyshaw
Oct 6, 2012, 12:25 AM
I don't know if I'm seeing things, but is the ipad compat. feature allowing for the higher height of the iphone 5?

Battlefield Fan
Oct 6, 2012, 02:11 AM
Glad to see more and more adoption of the iPhone 5.

DavidTheExpert
Oct 6, 2012, 03:27 AM
Apple Store App...... Apple App Store.... ahhhh my brain!

Xenc
Oct 6, 2012, 03:42 AM
Apple Store App...... Apple App Store.... ahhhh my brain!

The Apple Store app is on the Apple App Store app for apps.

mack120
Oct 6, 2012, 04:13 AM
Is rather poor so few apps been adapted. Makes a mockery of the new size screen

interfreak
Oct 6, 2012, 06:01 AM
For the iPad the resolution is high enough where you can use the regular apple site.

True, but the app is far more pleasant to use.

madman365
Oct 6, 2012, 06:40 AM
My biggest complaint is not be ing able to order Apple Gift Store Gift crads from the app. I can on the website...just not in the app. What gives? MAYBE I would like to gift an iPhone.

b-rad g
Oct 6, 2012, 07:41 AM
And still no way to get my Apple gift cards into Passbook without downloading another app. C'mon Apple, get it together.

GS17
Oct 6, 2012, 09:56 AM

They decided there was not enough money made from cases and instead decided to make a $29 lighting adapter

dwhittington
Oct 6, 2012, 10:45 AM
I use this app all the time, but I don't really care that it took Apple a while to get it updated. Which would you rather see? Should Apple have delayed the release of the iPhone 5 for this app? Or should they have released the iPhone 5 last quarter so they can recognize revenue from sales of 5 million phones before the end of last quarter. Geez, tough business decision. LOL

FreeSpace
Oct 6, 2012, 10:47 AM
Anyone notice that when you click 'Find a Store' the map icon is the old Google Maps one?

janderson0719
Oct 6, 2012, 01:57 PM
I use this app all the time, but I don't really care that it took Apple a while to get it updated. Which would you rather see? Should Apple have delayed the release of the iPhone 5 for this app? Or should they have released the iPhone 5 last quarter so they can recognize revenue from sales of 5 million phones before the end of last quarter. Geez, tough business decision. LOL

Honestly, how are you using this app all the time?

Zach Vega
Oct 6, 2012, 03:09 PM
Finally! I love the app's theme, but it looked trollish while letterboxed.

tdream
Oct 6, 2012, 03:38 PM
Apple is being run like a ... how shall I say this... a normal company now. ;)

Release now patch later.

TableSyrup
Oct 6, 2012, 04:49 PM
I tried to update it yesterday. It's been sitting idle saying installing with no progress bar action. How do I cancel? I restarted my iP5 and still the same.

What the crap?

Monk Edsel
Oct 6, 2012, 06:09 PM
I tried to update it yesterday. It's been sitting idle saying installing with no progress bar action. How do I cancel? I restarted my iP5 and still the same.

What the crap?

Delete the app and download it again manually. Sometimes the installation will hang, it can happen to any app.

----------

...Just wanted to quip like some others: about time! First party apps should always take full advantage of new hardware on day one. It's bad enough so many third parties are taking so long. Apple must always set the good example, without exception.

Dionte
Oct 6, 2012, 09:16 PM
Still no iPad version?

Ditto

dwhittington
Oct 7, 2012, 01:44 AM
Honestly, how are you using this app all the time?

Frequently?

george-brooks
Oct 7, 2012, 10:19 AM
I'm really surprised Apple wasn't ready to roll out the entire iPhone 5 "package" on launch day. Hardware shortages or gaps (lightning adapter, cases) are one thing, but you'd think they would have all of their own software ready to go.

jmcrutch
Oct 7, 2012, 01:54 PM
Anyone notice that when you click 'Find a Store' the map icon is the old Google Maps one?

When I searched for a store the map results were returned via Apple's Maps, not Google's. curious that yours did not.

EDIT - OK I re-read your post - you are referring to the ICON, not the app. Yes, you are correct, it is displaying the old Maps app ICON.

FlatlinerG
Oct 7, 2012, 03:01 PM
The Apple Store app is on the Apple App Store app for apps.

The Apple Store app is an Apple app on the Apple App Store.

ScottInTheOC
Oct 7, 2012, 10:14 PM
I noticed that EasyPay doesn't work in iOS6 anymore. Anyone else see this? I was at the Apple Store and they didn't know why either...

MacFly123
Oct 7, 2012, 11:32 PM
Two things:

1) I'm sorry but I HATE the icon for this app. It is very ugly and childlike and unapple like. Why isn't it just their logo like the stores? See my mockup below.

Please change the icon Apple!

2) Are they ever going to add iPad support for this app?

NightFox
Oct 8, 2012, 04:29 AM
I'm confused - before this update there seemed to be lots of people saying that the app was 'incompatible' with the iPhone 5. Did they just mean it didn't use the extra screen space? Less than a week after getting my iPhone 5 I used it to purchase a USB/Lightning cable in-store with no problem at all. What was the problem meant to be?

mrgraff
Oct 8, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm confused - before this update there seemed to be lots of people saying that the app was 'incompatible' with the iPhone 5. Did they just mean it didn't use the extra screen space? Less than a week after getting my iPhone 5 I used it to purchase a USB/Lightning cable in-store with no problem at all. What was the problem meant to be?

They just meant not using the extra space. Anyone who used "incompatible with" probably should have said "not yet optimized for."

ghostlyorb
Oct 8, 2012, 09:52 AM
I have to say that I love how apps not updated fit right in the middle of the screen. While it looks weird to have the status bar not at the top of the screen, it was well done.

----------

Frequently?

I think he was referring to that if you are using the app a lot, you must be spending a lot of money...

mrgraff
Oct 8, 2012, 09:56 AM
Two things:

1) I'm sorry but I HATE the icon for this app. It is very ugly and childlike and unapple like. Why isn't it just their logo like the stores? See my mockup below.

Really? It's the Apple Store app. That icon is a shopping cart with an Apple logo on it. Maybe the colors need to change or the rays of light need to go or something, but I can't think of a better icon for something that is intended for buying Apple products.

I think your icon would be good if instead of being the Apple Store app, the app was simply called "Apple" and offered everything Apple: store, support, accounts, investor relations, employment resources, news, etc.

----------

I think he was referring to that if you are using the app a lot, you must be spending a lot of money...

I think janderson0719 simply didn't recognize the idiom "all the time" and took it literally.

nutmac
Oct 8, 2012, 12:55 PM
My wish list:

iPad/iPhone universal
Employee Purchase Plan discount
Special Deals (refurbs and clearance)
Passbook for Apple gift cards
Ability to purchase and gift Apple gift cards
PIN security for order status
Integrated order tracking (instead of launching Safari) and push notification for order status change

KdParker
Oct 8, 2012, 01:33 PM

You can get those anywhere. They will let the third party vendors sale those.

----------

Two things:

Really.

You sure put alot of thought and time into your hate for this icon. Even got your own mock up too).

I just like have the app working and never gave much thought to the icon.

wkadamsjr
Oct 8, 2012, 03:27 PM
Is rather poor so few apps been adapted. Makes a mockery of the new size screen

Honestly, I don't understand all the constant complaining about these apps not being optimized for the larger screen. Updating apps takes time. Patience is a virtue...:)

edenwaith
Oct 9, 2012, 08:48 AM
Kind of sad that this report was also on the front page of Google News yesterday, as well. Must have been a slow news day in the tech world.

janderson0719
Oct 16, 2012, 03:29 AM
I think janderson0719 simply didn't recognize the idiom "all the time" and took it literally.

I would hardly call "all the time" an idiom that really expresses a different meaning than what it clearly states.

You were merely being sarcastic in your "all the time" phrase.

Anyways - and beyond the Apple store - I look forward to an update to the eBay app supporting iPhone 5. Hopefully soon.

hamkor04
Oct 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
they should ad new feature, called iPhone 5 engraving (surprise engraving),
you actually can't choose engravings but you get one directly from Foxconn :D