Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Holy cannoli! Take a look at AlienWare's new Navigator Media Center computer:

http://www.alienware.com/main/system_pages/navigator.asp

Cool looking computer by PC standards, but not as cool as the iMac :) Plus the price is $1699 without a monitor, so it definitely isn't cheap. To get a 17" widescreen monitor like the iMac would bump up the price to $2300. In terms of features, the Navigator includes a TV tuner, Tivo-like software, and a remote, but only has a Combo drive and not a Superdrive. Plus I'm sure that the "Media Center" apps are not as elegant as Apple iApps, though I haven't seen them (beyond the screenshots on AlienWare's site). The Navigator is undoubtedly the higher-performing gaming machine, too since it includes an NVIDIA® GeForce4 Ti 4200 w/64MB and Intel's latest CPU with Hyperthreading (they list a Quake III frame rate of 266 at 1024x768)

What do people think about the threat of these new Media Center PC's to Apple's Digital Hub Strategy?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by lmalave

What do people think about the threat of these new Media Center PC's to Apple's Digital Hub Strategy?

I think they're looking at it from a different angle, Apple's more about the computer being a part of the household and connecting to various devices while MS's Media Centre (among other PC solutions) is moving more towards the convergence angle, the computer is all the devices.
I've played with one of the MCPCs at Circuit City and the software's pretty slick. It's easy to use, looks nice (suprising coming from the same people as XP) and it's well integrated. Too bad the recorded streams are a version of MPEG2 that's non-edit or convertable (damn MS) but I don't think it's a threat to Apple, it comes from a different perspective.

I think the ideal setup would be a combo of both, the computer shouldn't house all of the devices, just ones that have the biggest advantage of being included while the rest were seperate.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Yeah, I see what you're saying. It' exciting to see that Philips is getting behind Rendezvous, since they also have the same vision of digital devices working seamlessly together. A stereo could seamlessly play an MP3 from an iMac or an iPod, for example. Or a Mac could send a slideshow from iPhoto or a movie from iMovie or iDVD to a TV (or maybe some kind of Tivo/Cable Box/DVD Player), without even having to burn it to disc first.

Devices working seamlessly together is definitely more compelling than an all-in-one Media Center, but Microsoft is also pursing a "Smart Objects" strategy of networked digitally-enabled devices, so we'll see where they go with that...

P.S. Sheesh! Check out the 200 Watt power supply on that Alienware machine! The power supply must take up 1/2 the space in that tiny case. That thing must be loud, unlike the nice quiet iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.