Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I believe IMHO that the only mobile OS that stood toe to toe with IOS was the WEBOS. It was very polished and felt like IOS on steroids. Yea, app support sucked and Palm's marketing was the worst thing ever but the WEBOS had potential. I am surprised that Microsoft or Google didn't make an offer to buy it because that could have leveled the playing field.

What are your thoughts? :)

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
WebOS is actually very similar to BB playbook OS

In my honest opinion having had a Pre2 and a Pre3... It wasn't that great a competitor. If anything MeeGo had more going for it than WebOS

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
WebOS hardware could not support the actual software. M
Yes. I loved the OS. But hardware has not up to par.

Blackberry QNX is like webos. Hardware better so more fluid.

RIM is in a transition stage. WebOS has zero support even as open OS.

True competitor to iOS in terms of elegance is windows phone OS. But even that is lacking apps.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Currently, I have an iPhone 4 and a Palm Pixi Plus. The Palm has webos and it is no where near as good as iOS. Yes, the interface looks good, but the functionality is severely lacking. Maybe, if they had more time, it could have been a competitor, but they didn't and it isn't.

Last edited:

aaronchow

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
I waited in line when they first released the Palm Pre :)

I really like the OS as well. It was very advance when compared to other platforms at that time. If they didn't go with Sprint, had a better advertising plan and went with Enyo at the very beginning, I think they would have a chance.

Great OS, awful management support and execution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.