Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2004
A friend has a 4th generation iPod (clickwheel) with a Firewire power adapter, and both FireWire and USB cables for plugging in the iPod. They have a PC, so the only reason they use the Firewire cable is to charge it. Question is, can I give them my USB power adapter, and they give me their Firewire power adapter and cables, so I can hook up my iPod Color to my Firewire port instead of my USB port? Will the Color charge with the power adapter and plug into my PowerBook correctly, and will their Clickwheel charge correctly with the USB power adapter? I like to have my iPod plugged into my computer most of the time, but that just leaves one free USB port, and I'd like to have two. :p

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Seeing as Apple now ships all iPods with USB 2.0 cables, you should be able to charge just fine from it. Although, when I had my 3rd gen iPod plugged into my external drive(s) (which have their own power supplies), it would never get to a full charge.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Yep, 4G B&W and Color iPods use the same cables, but like Counterfit said, 3rd generation cables and AC adapters are not fully compatible (I learned this the hard way :().

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
kainjow said:
Yep, 4G B&W and Color iPods use the same cables, but like Counterfit said, 3rd generation cables and AC adapters are not fully compatible (I learned this the hard way :().
Er, that's not quite what I said. And why would the cables not be compatible? The dock connector hasn't changed, and I'm pretty damn sure FireWire ports haven't either...

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Trust me, they aren't compatible 100%. Yes they work sometimes, but not all the times like the 4G ones do (well should). :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.