Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jane5ok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Hi,

about a week ago all of a sudden all the files and documents from the desktop and documents folder all disappeared. The user identity in entourage has also disappeared. if I search on spotlight for anything that contains the entourage user id the emails show there but if I double click on them, entourage opens with a message "to view the item, switch to the xxx identity" but if I try to do that, that identity does not show as an option. I have been unable to find any word documents that were previously there by searching using spotlight. I have tried searching on the internet for a solution to this problem but can not find anything that solves the issue. Please help as many irretrievable and important items (including email) are much needed! This is my sons macbookpro that runs 10.7.2 and he uses it for his schoolwork utilising assistive technology so ALL his saved schoolwork is gone.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Jane,

I hope that you can find the files that disappeared. However, files do not disappear of their own volition. Something happened. If your son's computer has multiple accounts, then my first guess is that it is logged into one of its other accounts.

In this case, logoff and then login to your son's assistive technology account.

jane5ok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
thank you but there is no other account to log into, what is so perplexing is that if i go to spotlight and search for anything using his email id then we get all his email messages appear in the subsequent list, however if you double click on any of those entourage opens and shows the message "entourage cannot open this item. to view the item, switch to the xxx identity" but his identity is not available in the program to switch to". If i go to the bottom of the spotlight screen. it says where it is, but if you actually go there, it doesnt show. We are both totally perplexed. It has nothing to do with the assistive technology - all his software is on the one account - the only account on the laptop.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
It is difficult to understand what Entourage and your Desktop have to do with each other. However, Entourage is notorious for the corruption of its database. The solution is to rebuild the Entourage database.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.