Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sapodaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
After upgrading, ipad2, to iOS6 my email system started sending out emails on its own to many on my contacts. It's gotten so bad I'm thinking of shutting down my email programs.
At first this was happening on my iEmail acct. However, now it's spread to my win7 PC's. Which leads me to believe that it's not because of my upgrade to IOS6.
I have installed Antivirus & Malware programs on both systems, still no major changes have taken affect.
Any ideas on resolving my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Desperate for Resolve

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Possible email account hacked.

Try changing email account password.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Agreed. This is classic malware behaviour....Probably came through an email and spread from there..Run AV on your Windows PC and (although I doubt it's the source) ClamAV from the app store on your Mac's

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Agreed. This is classic malware behaviour....Probably came through an email and spread from there..Run AV on your Windows PC and (although I doubt it's the source) ClamAV from the app store on your Mac's

Email accounts are often hacked without malware being a factor.

This is achieved via a vulnerability in the email service. This has nothing to do with the users system.

What email service do you use?

This is also achieved via packet sniffing on a network. This also has nothing to do with the users system.

What types (WEP, WPA) of networks do you use?

Does the email service use at least login session encryption?

Some email services provided by ISPs don't use login session encryption.

I suspect malware wasn't involved because iOS doesn't have any malware.

If malware was involved, it is on the Windows PC.

sapodaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Email accounts are often hacked without malware being a factor.

This is achieved via a vulnerability in the email service. This has nothing to do with the users system.

What email service do you use?

This is also achieved via packet sniffing on a network. This also has nothing to do with the users system.

What types (WEP, WPA) of networks do you use?

Does the email service use at least login session encryption?

Some email services provided by ISPs don't use login session encryption.

I suspect malware wasn't involved because iOS doesn't have any malware.

If malware was involved, it is on the Windows PC.

Currently using Yahoo email service, network security is WPA2

sapodaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Primary email service: Yahoo, Network security: WPA2, I've also changed my Yahoo email password. On my Apple devices I installed ClamAV Antivirus app.

sapodaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Thanks

Before I forget, I wish to thank the individuals who have assisted me in attempting to resolve my email issue. Each of you have given me some very good ideas and directions in pursuit to end my, "Emails Gone Wild" situation.
Many Thanks Again...

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
ClamXav from the Mac App Store? Which devices?

Is the iPad jail broken?

Do you also use the iPad on public networks?

Pretty sure Yahoo uses login session encryption.

How strong is your password? How long? Does it include lower case, upper case, symbols, and numbers?

gO@wOw75, is an example of a password that meets minimum requirements of a secure password.

Have you checked that email account from a public computer, such as at the library, at any time in the past?

You can never trust the security of a public computer.

----------

Primary email service: Yahoo

Any secondary email accounts associated with the Yahoo account?

Can the secondary email account be used to reset the password of the Yahoo account?

sapodaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
On my iMac & MacBook-Pro

Is the iPad jail broken?
NO,NO

NO

How strong is your password? How long? Does it include lower case, upper case, symbols, and numbers?
Good secure PW

gO@wOw75, is an example of a password that meets minimum requirements of a secure password.

Have you checked that email account from a public computer, such as at the library, at any time in the past?
Only public area,my Dr.'s office on my iPhone5

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapodaca

Can the secondary email account be used to reset the password of the Yahoo account?

Monteolsen1

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
On my iMac & MacBook-Pro

Is the iPad jail broken?
NO,NO

NO

Good secure PW

Only public area,my Dr.'s office on my iPhone5

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapodaca

Yep. Log in and change your password. Yahoo email accounts get hacked quite a bit. If you cannot do that, contact Yahoo tech support and let them know what happened. I don't think this is malware, either. In terms of a Trojan or other virus.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.