PDA

View Full Version : Airport card not seeing any networks

ozone7
Oct 7, 2012, 04:15 AM
Hi.

I have a PPC 1.25DP Desktop which has an airport (not extreme) card installed.
This used to work, but now it isn't.

I have it sitting next to my intel iMac which is seeing 6 WiFi networks but the PPC is seeing none. The Airport Express set up as an extender is 10 feet away.

I've tried resetting the PRAM and trashing prefs, but of course when it starts up the setup assistant it gets as far as not seeing any networks and that's it.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

California
Oct 7, 2012, 04:18 AM
Hi.

I have a PPC 1.25DP Desktop which has an airport (not extreme) card installed.
This used to work, but now it isn't.

I have it sitting next to my intel iMac which is seeing 6 WiFi networks but the PPC is seeing none. The Airport Express set up as an extender is 10 feet away.

I've tried resetting the PRAM and trashing prefs, but of course when it starts up the setup assistant it gets as far as not seeing any networks and that's it.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Two things, if you are running Leopard, make sure it is updated to 10.5.8 and search MR because there is some problem with the original airport card seeing modern wifi networks.

ozone7
Oct 7, 2012, 04:40 AM
Thanks. Sorry. Of course the other important info is that I'm running 10.4.11.

I could upgrade to Leopard but I doubt that would fix it.

PerformaGuy
Oct 7, 2012, 04:47 AM
With an original AirPort card, it will only be able to use WEP to get online. To circumvent a potentially dying AirPort card and to be able to use more secure WPA or WPA2 Personal encryption, you might want to consider a Mac friendly USB wifi adapter.

666sheep
Oct 7, 2012, 05:06 AM
With an original AirPort card, it will only be able to use WEP to get online. To circumvent a potentially dying AirPort card and to be able to use more secure WPA or WPA2 Personal encryption, you might want to consider a Mac friendly USB wifi adapter.

This is simply not true. Original AP card does connect to WPA/WPA2 encrypted network since OS X 10.3.9. That's how my Clamshell with 10.4.11 is connected to my home network.
And OP's problem is that their computer does not see any wifi network. Connecting to one is next step, it must see one first.

OP, are you 100% sure that AP card is OK? Try to create wifi network on 1.25 and see if any of you other macs can see it. Did you connect antenna to the card?

PerformaGuy
Oct 7, 2012, 05:45 AM
Wow neat, did not know Apple later came out with a firmware update for the original 802.11b AirPort cards that adds WPA (AirPort software version 3.3). Thanks for the heads up!

But I don't see anything about WPA2 on these original cards.

Also try reconnecting antenna cable.

666sheep
Oct 7, 2012, 05:58 AM
But I don't see anything about WPA2 on these original cards.

I meant mixed WPA/WPA2 Personal router setting, like on my screenshot in this post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15517559&postcount=17