Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fontane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Hey guys, I recently got the iphone 5 and a new ipad too.
I've been using a macbook air for nearly two years, but with the iphone 5 and ipad I'm just now really trying to figure out all the benefits of Apple software.

So my question: I live in the U.S. and will be traveling to Europe for a few months. I plan to take my iphone 5 but disable the Verizon cellular data and use wi-fi when available, and maybe a local sim if I can find one that fits.

When I'm on wi-fi, can I use imessage to text for free with people back in the states who also have imessage? Do they have to be on wi-fi also, or just me?

Also, the same goes for facetime. Can I use wi-fi overseas to use facetime with someone in the states and do they need to be on wi-fi (I think not for verizon, right?)?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I've googled around but can't seem to piece together the answers to what I think are pretty simple questions.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
You can iMessage them for free and they do not have to be on wifi, only have an active data connection. The same can be said about FaceTime.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
They should make an Apple commercial out of this post. ;)

Seriously though, I think people fail to realize what a huge step iMessage and FaceTime was to driving people to the Apple ecosystem.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
They should make an Apple commercial out of this post. ;)

Seriously though, I think people fail to realize what a huge step iMessage and FaceTime was to driving people to the Apple ecosystem.
People in Europe have been using WhatsApp and Skype long before iMessage and Facetime were around. You do not have to have an iPhone to get these features...

Nevertheless, iMessage and Facetime do work pretty smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.