Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I currently run one 24" Apple Cinema Display on my Base 2011 Mac Mini via the MiniDisplayPort/Thunderbolt connector. I want to add another 24" ACD, what it the best way to do this ?

Can I run it off hdmi ? is there an adapter ? or can you buy a MiniDisplayPort/Thunderbolt splitter ?

:confused::apple:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Your best bet is the Matrox Dual Mini Displayport adapter. There is no "cheap" way to run two displayport monitors with the Mac Mini since it only has one Thunderbolt/mini Displayport port.

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
thanks, I've been looking at the Matrox DualHead2Go DP Mac Edition, I can get it for £125 on ebay, I'm just unsure if the intel HD3000 would be powerful enough to run to DP screens. According to the tech specs on apple, it would need to be the server mac mini and mines is just a 2011 base model HD3000 Intel graphics with 512mb ram.

Might have to consider ditching the 24" ACD and buy myself two Dell 24" IPS displays instead :-(

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
thanks, I've been looking at the Matrox DualHead2Go DP Mac Edition, I can get it for £125 on ebay, I'm just unsure if the intel HD3000 would be powerful enough to run to DP screens. According to the tech specs on apple, it would need to be the server mac mini and mines is just a 2011 base model HD3000 Intel graphics with 512mb ram.

Might have to consider ditching the 24" ACD and buy myself two Dell 24" IPS displays instead :-(

no difference graphics wise between your mini and the server. Same HD 3000 GPU. If the server can power it, so can the your mini.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
If your Mini has Thunderbolt and not just display port, if you buy a 27" Thunderbolt display you can run the Cinema display as well if you plug it into the thunderbolt display. If you don't already have the second monitor you may want to consider this.

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
If your Mini has Thunderbolt and not just display port, if you buy a 27" Thunderbolt display you can run the Cinema display as well if you plug it into the thunderbolt display. If you don't already have the second monitor you may want to consider this.

Thanks, a 27" is just outwith my budget. I am now considering the older 23" displays with DVI, looking at possibily picked up two used ones, but i am aware of psu problems and the pink screen issue, so in the end, the twin dell option might be a safer bet.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Thanks, a 27" is just outwith my budget. I am now considering the older 23" displays with DVI, looking at possibily picked up two used ones, but i am aware of psu problems and the pink screen issue, so in the end, the twin dell option might be a safer bet.

I understand.
I had a 23" Cinema Display (aluminum DVI) for about 6 years with no problems, and it was a great display. The problem is they're all getting a bit a bit old now, so I would go wih the twin dells.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI

Careful with that one. You have to have another thunderbolt peripheral between the display and the other monitor. The 2nd display cannot work straight off the Thunderbolt Display.

drchuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Sequim, WA
I currently run one 24" Apple Cinema Display on my Base 2011 Mac Mini via the MiniDisplayPort/Thunderbolt connector. I want to add another 24" ACD, what it the best way to do this ?

Can I run it off hdmi ? is there an adapter ? or can you buy a MiniDisplayPort/Thunderbolt splitter ?

:confused::apple:

I currently run dual Acer X22.3W 22" displays on my mid-2011 mini; one is out of the regular display port for which Apple provides an adapter and the other out of the Thunderbolt port through an adapter I bought. Both are set to 1680x1050 resolution. Works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.