PDA

View Full Version : I just salvaged a pair of vintage studio monitors! Other Advice?

Prodo123
Oct 7, 2012, 04:58 PM
The Pioneer S-Z15. They are passive monitors, 40W, 8Ω stereo pair. They lacked ends so I put a gold-plated TRS connector on it.
Polished the wood, cleaned the monitor, etc. and now they're plugged into my computer, making great sound.

I have a question, though. I'm planning on getting a Fiio Olympus (E10) which has both a headphone and line out jack. I know that the headphone jack is powered through an amp, and the line out is a single volume output. The line out is also 32Ω whereas the headphone is 16Ω, I think.

Can I use the 8Ω monitor pair with the 32Ω line out of the Fiio? And how will the volume be affected? I plan to use the headphone jack with the headphones at night, so I would rather have the monitors plugged into the line out.

If push comes to shove I am willing to put a input switch onto the headphone jack of the Fiio so that I can switch between the monitors and the headphones with just a switch, but again I'm concerned with the volume.