Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
any recommendations on brands? any specific recommendations? & can i replace the ram & not lose anything on my computer? I just replaced my hard drive. I know how to replace the ram. But can i simply replace & computer wont lose anything?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
any recommendations on brands? any specific recommendations? & can i replace the ram & not lose anything on my computer? I just replaced my hard drive. I know how to replace the ram. But can i simply replace & computer wont lose anything?

I'm not sure about RAM brands, but you definitely will not "lose anything" by changing the RAM on your MacBook - The hard drive is what stores all your data, the RAM only stores what you are using right now.

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
Ram is ram. Just make sure you purchase DDR2 5300 ram and not DDR2 6400. Some stores like best buy will sell you DDR2 6400 ram and say it is compatible with machines that take DDR2 5300, but that isn't the case with Macbooks. You would need at least one ram at 5300 Speed for the machine too boot with a 6400 speed ram, so just make sure you get two sticks of 5300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.