Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bengi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Well, sort of.

I kept having frequent and random system freezes after sleep in my PB G4 1.67 DL (the very last of the PB G4) after replacing the HD with an ssd.

Sinvce I recall the 1.67 having a special cable to connect to drive to the logic board I decided to see how a PowerBook G4 1.5 of the previous generation behaved.

Well now it's been three weeks of use and the 1.5 GHz with the same ssd, simply swapped from the 1.67, has never crashed.

Hybernate mode set to 0 in both.

So it is interesting to see if playing with some combinations of cables (the specific for the 1.67 and the generic for older PB G4) and master/slave jumpers help.

Any thoughts to further investigate the matter?

Ben

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I'm gonna jump here and make a wild guess:

It could be a voltage issue.

Since you are using an SSD hard drive, this means it uses less voltage. I don't know how the PB handles that, but on the ibook, if there was a weird voltage change, it would freeze and shutdown.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Well, sort of.

I kept having frequent and random system freezes after sleep in my PB G4 1.67 DL (the very last of the PB G4) after replacing the HD with an ssd.

Sinvce I recall the 1.67 having a special cable to connect to drive to the logic board I decided to see how a PowerBook G4 1.5 of the previous generation behaved.

Well now it's been three weeks of use and the 1.5 GHz with the same ssd, simply swapped from the 1.67, has never crashed.

Hybernate mode set to 0 in both.

So it is interesting to see if playing with some combinations of cables (the specific for the 1.67 and the generic for older PB G4) and master/slave jumpers help.

Any thoughts to further investigate the matter?

Ben

I'm gonna jump here and make a wild guess:

It could be a voltage issue.

Since you are using an SSD hard drive, this means it uses less voltage. I don't know how the PB handles that, but on the ibook, if there was a weird voltage change, it would freeze and shutdown.

That's interesting. Wondering if OP is using same battery on both machines and same power adapter and/or if PRAM battery is alive on one machine and dead on the other.

Also, what kind of SSD? PATA-IDE or SATA with an adapter?

bengi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
That's interesting. Wondering if OP is using same battery on both machines and same power adapter and/or if PRAM battery is alive on one machine and dead on the other.

Also, what kind of SSD? PATA-IDE or SATA with an adapter?

PATA

same battery/adapter

the same behaviour applies to two 1.67 PB, however I will swap the PRAM battery to check.

bengi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I recently tried with a SATA HD (mechanical) and an IDE-SATA adapter: same problem, the PB frezes during sleep, so it must be linked to the weird cable select thing of the very last PB G4

bengi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
solved

I replaced the logic board as it was also having other issues, now the SDD works, so the sleep crash was related to a bad lobo.

In the meanwhile I have also tested a 100 GB 7200 rpm vs ssd, the 7200 is quite fast, but the ssd wins, probably a bigger 5400 is faster than the 100 GB 7200

Ben

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I have to ask. After the lobo replacement does the sata drive work fine with the adapter? I am going to purchase a data sad today and the adapter is on the way, but I am just curious if the issue can be replicated after you replaced the board.

bengi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
did not try the sata-adapter thing, I do not feel like taking apart the PB again, but I am looking for another lobo as I have two 1.67 DL and I would like to fix it.
What I can do for you is to test the ssd-sata adapter on a PB G4 1.25 which is open and ready to be used for experiments, will let you know tomorrow,

Ben

PS, the combination sata ssd-adapter wobt fit in the HD slot, you can try with the dremel, but the space is tight

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
OK that would be great, and yes I didn't figure you wanted to take it apart again as there is a decent amount of screws. And the dremeling I figured would have to happen

Last edited:

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I Know it is a double post but this is my own update to my powerbook g4

i did get the ssd to work in my powerbook g4 perfectly, i am currently typing this post with it through tenfourfox, all the powerbook required was some hdd bay hackin' and the new ssd and adapter fit.

i will upload some pics of the ssd and adapter as well as a shortish vid showing the last bit of the install and first maiden boot with the ssd. just so there is some proof and no disbelief i might also do a vid showing the about this mac window and what not so you are aware that it is a powerbook g4 and it is running off of a ssd with a adapter.

Thanks for all the help and advice i did get about this small upgrade,
Boneskid1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.