Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ribbon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
what's the difference between this two options?

- set up my gmail account as gmail and then check the "push" option in preferences.

- set up my gmail account as ms exchange account and check the "push" option in preferences.

it seems that everyone here uses the second option, but I don't get the reason. why is it better setting it up as a MS exchange account?

thank you.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
what's the difference between this two options?

- set up my gmail account as gmail and then check the "push" option in preferences.

- set up my gmail account as ms exchange account and check the "push" option in preferences.

it seems that everyone here uses the second option, but I don't get the reason. why is it better setting it up as a MS exchange account?

thank you.

Gmail can only "push" the mail using Exchange's Active Sync. Selecting "Push" on won't do anything for that account unless you set it up as Exchange.
Yahoo mail has the capability to "Push" mail as does Mobile Me/Apple's email system natively.

ribbon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Ok! Got it

Just one more question: is it really noticeable the battery drain when enabling push? Has this been improved?

Thank you!

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Ok! Got it

Just one more question: is it really noticeable the battery drain when enabling push? Has this been improved?

Thank you!

I only have one gmail account set up as push(Exchange). I don't see much of a battery drain. The others are standard gmail and I think are set to check every 15 min.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.