PDA

View Full Version : What to get?

lucasfer899
Oct 8, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hello all,
I have been looking at PowerMac G5s and I really want one, thing is I'm not too familiar with them and want the best one below the models that use Liquid cooling, since it will be mainly a 24/7 machine, running a tv tuner, torrenting, file server, blah blah. Please dont try to convince me to get a mac mini, they overheat where I like to keep my machines. (In a cupboard)
I already have a Mid 2010 MBP 2.4 4GB ram, 500GB hdd as my main machine.

I also want the G5 that has the ports on the back for me to stick wifi and bluetooth dongles in, thanks. (It will be connected by ethernet, but I like to have measures such as that built into all my machines.)
I already have a sawtooth G4 also, and was wondering what is the best AGP GPU I can get for that?
Thanks! :cool:

840quadra
Oct 8, 2012, 12:15 PM
Being a G5 owner, I can tell you that putting one in a cupboard will yield the same issue you would have with a Mini. Any G5 doing any type of processor intensive task will heat a small room, and likely bake itself in the location you are looking at installing it in. The G5 is more or less Server hardware, and needs lots of airflow to properly cool (hence the fully vented front and back).

With regards to machine selection, I would recommend the newest and fastest you can afford that meets your criteria. The older Dual 2.0 (non Dual core) Niagra units are somewhat bulletproof, but are slightly slower bench than the later dual core systems.

lucasfer899
Oct 8, 2012, 12:18 PM
Being a G5 owner, I can tell you that putting one in a cupboard will yield the same issue you would have with a Mini. Any G5 doing any type of processor intensive task will heat a small room, and likely bake itself in the location you are looking at installing it in. The G5 is more or less Server hardware, and needs lots of airflow to properly cool (hence the fully vented front and back).

With regards to machine selection, I would recommend the newest and fastest you can afford that meets your criteria. The older Dual 2.0 (non Dual core) Niagra units are somewhat bulletproof, but are slightly slower bench than the later dual core systems.

Hmm thanks, nevermind about the cupboard part, I'm happy to have the thing in my workspace.
So dual core or dual processor?

flopticalcube
Oct 8, 2012, 12:22 PM
Be aware that running such power hungry machines 24/7 can lead to hundreds of $ per year in electricity costs. If you don't pay the bills then you won't care but it is something to be aware of.

lucasfer899
Oct 8, 2012, 12:25 PM
Be aware that running such power hungry machines 24/7 can lead to hundreds of $ per year in electricity costs. If you don't pay the bills then you won't care but it is something to be aware of.

Don't give two ***** about the power, to be quite frank ahaha

Ariii
Oct 8, 2012, 12:36 PM
Just as a suggestion, you might find that a 7448 upgrade for your SawTooth will be more reliable than getting a G5. Those G5's are really prone to problems in general and take up a lot more energy. You might want to look at this thread for a video card upgrade for your SawTooth:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1415387

AQUADock
Oct 8, 2012, 12:37 PM
Don't give two ***** about the power, to be quite frank ahaha

I would recommend a high end PowerMac G4 if you're running a server but if you want a G5, the Dual 1.8 GHz are the fastest of the air cooling models.

lucasfer899
Oct 8, 2012, 12:38 PM
Just as a suggestion, you might find that a 7448 upgrade for your SawTooth will be more reliable than getting a G5. Those G5's are really prone to problems in general and take up a lot more energy. You might want to look at this thread for a video card upgrade for your SawTooth:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1415387

Thanks, I'll be looking into getting one...
I still want a G5 regardless.

lucasfer899
Oct 8, 2012, 12:51 PM
I would recommend a high end PowerMac G4 if you're running a server but if you want a G5, the Dual 1.8 GHz are the fastest of the air cooling models.

Thanks a bunch man, does that come with PCI-Express aswell?
Or is that just the stupid liquid quads...?

840quadra
Oct 8, 2012, 01:57 PM

The G5 Dual 2.0, Dual core 2.0, and Dual Core 2.3 systems are all Air-cooled.

Intell
Oct 8, 2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks a bunch man, does that come with PCI-Express aswell?
Or is that just the stupid liquid quads...?

If you want PCI-Express, you'll have to get a late-2005 model. These are the 2.0Ghz, 2.3Ghz, and 2.5Ghz. All are dual core and the 2.5Ghz has two processors for a total of 4 cores. The 2.0Ghz and 2.3Ghz are air cooled. All three have an integrated Bluetooth and Airport antenna.

wobegong
Oct 8, 2012, 10:24 PM

What? Dual 2.0, Dual Core 2.0, Dual Core 2.3 are all air cooled. Dual 1.8 is the slowest dual Core/CPU air cooled model.....

AQUADock
Oct 9, 2012, 03:50 AM
The G5 Dual 2.0, Dual core 2.0, and Dual Core 2.3 systems are all Air-cooled.

What? Dual 2.0, Dual Core 2.0, Dual Core 2.3 are all air cooled. Dual 1.8 is the slowest dual Core/CPU air cooled model.....

yes my bad, thats why I don't give much advice.

lucasfer899
Oct 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
Bump, I'm on the lookout for a 2.5 Dual core, PCI Express,
Thanks all :D

Intell
Oct 11, 2012, 10:59 AM
Bump, I'm on the lookout for a 2.5 Dual core, PCI Express,
Thanks all :D

The G5 quad. The fastest PowerMac ever made. Do note that they have a liquid cooling system.

lucasfer899
Oct 11, 2012, 12:35 PM
The G5 quad. The fastest PowerMac ever made. Do note that they have a liquid cooling system.

I dislike the watercooling, as I've heard too many horror stories about them, even though this is something I'll probably never encounter, this is a 24/7 machine.

Thanks anyway.

cocacolakid
Oct 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
I dislike the watercooling, as I've heard too many horror stories about them, even though this is something I'll probably never encounter, this is a 24/7 machine.

Thanks anyway.

Both versions of the 2.5Ghz model are liquid cooled. If you're set on the fastest air cooled version, then your choice is one of the 2.3Ghz models.

You can compare all of the versions here:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html