PDA

View Full Version : BEER in POWERBOOK

lucface
Aug 29, 2005, 04:21 PM
beer in my mac!(check my sig) aahhhhhhrrghh. it works still. i turned it off imediatley and left it half open and upsidedown to dry. these guys did a real good job though. two [friends] started wrestling and fell on me with there beers. they managed to get a half of my keyboard(and screen) sobing wet. i almost through the bastards off my deck but i had time, after the mad dash to find paper towels, to calm down.
anyways im going to try the you broke it you fix it thing but its not going to go anywere, just trust me.
my mouse pad is really hurt. everything else seem to be alright. when i click its stuck and goes down with a "snap" and doesnt respond quick. it comes back up but its real stiff.
dam man
i know this has happend to some of you.
can i open it and clean it or should i send it in?... next week,... when i have money... or, not really. kinda cant aford it anyways.

wordmunger
Aug 29, 2005, 04:26 PM
When a similar thing happened to my iBook, I took it apart and cleaned everything with isopropyl alcohol. Everything works fine now except the right-arrow key, which is more annoying than you think.

Here's a link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=139042&highlight=ibook+drink) to my panicked thread!

Good luck!

wrxguy
Aug 29, 2005, 05:15 PM
I would avoid doing it yourself...take it somewhere to have them clean it...taking it apart is a pain in the ass and like what was just mentioned...its very easy to screw up a key and not get it working right

Err
Aug 29, 2005, 05:32 PM
i think theres a bigger issue, your powerbook has a drinking problem...

rdowns
Aug 29, 2005, 05:45 PM
Imported or domestic?

lucface
Aug 29, 2005, 05:47 PM
wordmunger. i dont know if its worth it, taking it apart that is. with the chance i could mess it up. i moded my xbox and almost screwd that up but it would of been a few hundred down the drain, not a few thousand. well i guess cause my coputers drinking i dont get to eat next week. not fare.

wrxguy i think im with you. though it might be good oportunity to get to know my baby.

hmm, cant decide

puckhead193
Aug 29, 2005, 06:04 PM
i think theres a bigger issue, your powerbook has a drinking problem...
rehab is for quiters though... :p

wrxguy
Aug 29, 2005, 06:16 PM
what kind of beer?

lucface
Aug 29, 2005, 06:41 PM
bud :eek:

tjwett
Aug 29, 2005, 11:05 PM
i've had clients who have spilled both beer (a nice frothy pint of Guinness) into a PowerBook and spaghetti and meatballs into a MDD Power Mac, the 4 year old was "feeding" it to the computer. holy hell. as for the beer, the most important thing is that you DO NOT TURN IT ON. beer will pretty much turn into crystalized sugar in there and can create paths of conductivity where they should not be. spend a long time cleaning it out very, very thoroughly. then let it sit for a day and then do it again after it has had at least a few days to completely dry out if you use anything wet inside. then hold your breath and fire it up. a cold beer would be good to have on hand at this point, in case of either celebration or defeat.

katie ta achoo
Aug 29, 2005, 11:23 PM
Dude. I hope your PowerBook dries out, gets clean/better/healthy/quits drinkin'! Maybe your wrestling friends could chip in for the (I'm guessing) $300+ it'll cost to clean your PowerBook? It seems like the least they could do since they made you knock the beer into it..

spaghetti and meatballs into a MDD Power Mac, the 4 year old was "feeding" it to the computer.

**off topic**
but.. aww.. that's kinda cute.. as long as it isn't happening to your machine.

/my nephew knows to NOT TOUCH MY POWERBOOK

lucface
Aug 31, 2005, 01:21 AM
thanx guys, i hope i can get it back to health too. my mouse buton is now almost totaly stuck and can onely be compresed with force and makes a horible snaping sound. i am going to send it in an be realy pissed off for a couple weeks wile i wate. man, its such a drag. i thought i was safe, i mean... who does that? wow. ****ing 30 year old kids, you know? so now im, i guess going to get that anreasonably expensive apple care plan, that is if they will give it to me and let me send it in the next day.
i mean dont get me wrong, i get the humor in it but,... man
It seems like the least they could do since they made you knock the beer into it...
actually it was one of their beers. i was sitting on the railing on my deck ABOVE and across from matt, who was sitting in my popazon chair(wich got beerd to along with me and obviously the deck).
his bro was trying to keep him in it so he wouldnt try and go pass out in the yard in the rain wich is what he wanted to do. matt got up, beer in hand, and through his bro up and on to my lap almost knocking me off the railing and making me drop my laptop. i kept my ballance but couldnt protect it from his over turned beer.
next morning as im going to work i walk by a broken bottle in my garden i found out was his doing. im wicked pissed at him and his bro(collin spilled a beer in my kitchen the same evening and didnt try to save it or pick it up rite away. whatever, thier just both desrespectfull when drunk) im going to ask then tell them to help pay for it for sure, but like i said earlier, i dont think it going to go anywere. i had money probs with collin before and he was i prick about that. well see. but for one thing they arnt welcome in my house again otherwise.

natehan
Aug 31, 2005, 01:38 AM
My friend spilled a frosty from Wendy's all over the keyboard on my powerbook. My heart sunk.

tjwett
Aug 31, 2005, 02:05 AM
...so now im, i guess going to get that anreasonably expensive apple care plan, that is if they will give it to me and let me send it in the next day...

before you go and spend any money on Apple Care, you'd probably like to know that Apple Care will do you no good in this situation. Apple Care is not insurance. it is a limited warranty and it only covers factory-defective parts. you'll have a hard time trying to convince them that the machine left the factory filled with beer. i'd save that cash and put it towards the bill that's gonna come from this repair.

i don't want to frighten you but depending on the extent of the damage and exactly what needs to be replaced you might be better off purchasing a new machine. typically they won't go to any great lengths to clean parts. if it is caked with dried beer they will most likely just want to replace that part. this could mean the logic board, case, keyboard, battery, LCD etc. just a heads-up. i've seen laptops go away for what one would think would be a fairly simple repair and come back with a bill greater than the price of the machine.

your best plan of attack might be to send it to apple and have them get back to you with an estimate of the damage. you can then decide if you are willing to pay the price. alternatively, you might want to look for an Apple Certified tech in your area. they are allowed to service machines in warranty, have access to parts and are usually easier to talk into trying to clean and salvage as much as possible, rather than just replace and charge. being a consultant/help desk tech myself and someone who deals with these folks, and Apple, quite often this is the route i would choose. good luck.

pdpfilms
Aug 31, 2005, 02:31 AM
Please refer to the thread about computer mishaps being considered flukes unless accompanied by photo evidence.

I'm not being an a$$, i just want to see what a drunk PB looks like. ;)

Err
Aug 31, 2005, 09:36 AM
before you go and spend any money on Apple Care, you'd probably like to know that Apple Care will do you no good in this situation. Apple Care is not insurance. it is a limited warranty and it only covers factory-defective parts. you'll have a hard time trying to convince them that the machine left the factory filled with beer. i'd save that cash and put it towards the bill that's gonna come from this repair.

i don't want to frighten you but depending on the extent of the damage and exactly what needs to be replaced you might be better off purchasing a new machine. typically they won't go to any great lengths to clean parts. if it is caked with dried beer they will most likely just want to replace that part. this could mean the logic board, case, keyboard, battery, LCD etc. just a heads-up. i've seen laptops go away for what one would think would be a fairly simple repair and come back with a bill greater than the price of the machine.

your best plan of attack might be to send it to apple and have them get back to you with an estimate of the damage. you can then decide if you are willing to pay the price. alternatively, you might want to look for an Apple Certified tech in your area. they are allowed to service machines in warranty, have access to parts and are usually easier to talk into trying to clean and salvage as much as possible, rather than just replace and charge. being a consultant/help desk tech myself and someone who deals with these folks, and Apple, quite often this is the route i would choose. good luck.

good info, i would give this a try lucface

Koodauw
Aug 31, 2005, 10:50 AM
Rule #1 for me is...

Not drunk people near my Apple Products! Myself included.

I put my PB away before I go out even. Can't risk it.

mox358
Aug 31, 2005, 11:03 AM
As tjweet said, call apple and get an estimate. I was going to have them replace a hard drive in my my iBook. I got an estimate from them, and it was nearly $800. For a freaking hard drive. I politely informed them I would pass on the offer.

lucface
Aug 31, 2005, 11:14 AM
good info, i would give this a try lucface
yah, sounds like my best bet. thanx tjwet.

tjwett
Aug 31, 2005, 12:22 PM
yah, sounds like my best bet. thanx tjwet.

happy to help. in the future, consider this over Apple Care. it is genuine laptop insurance. beer, theft, alligator pit, whatever. it will be covered. http://www.safeware.com/

jamesW135
Sep 1, 2005, 08:13 AM
I know this is kind of off topic but once I was at the Apple store, and this guy was like screaming a a genius that he had his quicksilver and some take-out chinese food in the car, well he stopped short and it all went inside his quicksilver somehow. And when the genius opened it all that food came out on the floor. :p

tjwett
Sep 1, 2005, 10:37 PM
I know this is kind of off topic but once I was at the Apple store, and this guy was like screaming a a genius that he had his quicksilver and some take-out chinese food in the car, well he stopped short and it all went inside his quicksilver somehow. And when the genius opened it all that food came out on the floor. :p

was that at the walt whitman apple store? i saw something similar there as well. something to do with a car and a power mac full of food.

OT: i just moved to Huntington Village after we couldn't find a place in Northport which was our first choice and as i see, where you are from. so, howdy neighbor!

OT again: do you subscribe the walt whitman apple store iCal calendar? i'm wondering why it lists all these evening in-store events that aren't actually going on? the emplyoees at the store had no clue either. i've seen some really cool stuff posted on the calendar like FileMaker Pro workshops at 10PM and other cool events but they are not actually happening. seems weird. have you ever attended Business Day Wednesday at the whitman store?

lucface
Jan 27, 2006, 12:51 PM
just a quick update; i didnt do anything for my pb. its been 5 months now and the mouse has fixed its self and the computer is acting normal. no weird stuff with the keys or anything. i think its because the cats knocked a glass of water in it and cleaned it out:p , serious. but then i poured half a glass of wine in it. so..., but, still going strong! i love my pb. varry forgiving.

WildCowboy
Jan 27, 2006, 12:56 PM
Perhaps you should stop keeping liquids near your computer. Just a thought...

ImNoSuperMan
Jan 31, 2006, 01:43 PM
just a quick update; i didnt do anything for my pb. its been 5 months now and the mouse has fixed its self and the computer is acting normal. no weird stuff with the keys or anything. i think its because the cats knocked a glass of water in it and cleaned it out:p , serious. but then i poured half a glass of wine in it. so..., but, still going strong! i love my pb. varry forgiving.

You must be kidding:confused: . Or may be your PB does like to get drunk.:D

Josh
Jan 31, 2006, 01:50 PM
Perhaps you should stop keeping liquids near your computer. Just a thought...

He does. It was others who brough the liquids near his computer.

:p

MacDonaldsd
Jan 31, 2006, 02:46 PM
My mum decide to kick a glass of water over my powerbook. The screen went blank and then game back on etc. so turned it off and left it to try. Its fine had it for 2 years since then.

lucface
Feb 3, 2006, 01:20 PM
lol, i think so!

CharlesRobinson
Feb 3, 2006, 05:40 PM
I spilled beer on my powerbook 17" a year ago. At the time nothing seemed to go wrong, but I did have some hard drive problems just recently that resulted in me replacing the drive. Surgery on a powerbook is tough.

lucface
Feb 4, 2006, 01:34 PM
I spilled beer on my powerbook 17" a year ago. At the time nothing seemed to go wrong, but I did have some hard drive problems just recently that resulted in me replacing the drive. Surgery on a powerbook is tough.yah that was the one thing i was kinda worried about. but ima just ride it out.

Nickygoat
Feb 4, 2006, 01:53 PM
bud :eek:
aargh - you quote my sig and you drink Bud.
For shame.
Try Chimay (http://www.chimay.com/www/chimay/site8/en/a_abbaye/a0_frameset.htm)
:D
Hope it's Ok.

Melkor
Feb 4, 2006, 02:09 PM
God that's my worst nighmare. I try and keep all fluids away from my PB, especially sticky ones like beer and coke.

Hope all goes well anyway.

Twijit
Feb 5, 2006, 11:52 AM
beer in my mac!(check my sig) aahhhhhhrrghh. it works still. i turned it off imediatley and left it half open and upsidedown to dry. these fuks did a real good job though. two [friends] started wrestling and fell on me with there beers. they managed to get a half of my keyboard(and screen) sobing wet. i almost through the bastards off my deck but i had time, after the mad dash to find paper towels, to calm down.
anyways im going to try the you broke it you fix it thing but its not going to go anywere, just trust me.
my mouse pad is really hurt. everything else seem to be alright. when i click its stuck and goes down with a "snap" and doesnt respond quick. it comes back up but its real stiff.
dam man
i know this has happend to some of you.
can i open it and clean it or should i send it in?... next week,... when i have money... or, not really. kinda cant aford it anyways.

A friend stayed over my house one night and proceeded to get stupid drunk while I was asleep and started to play around with my PB with a 40 oz in his hand...needless to say he passed out but not before he knocked the whole 40 into my keyboard...my computer was soaked!!!

I took it to the place called Onyx here in Atlanta and they managed to completely fix it...Still running fine 3 years later...God I love Apple

lucface
Feb 7, 2006, 10:49 AM
aargh - you quote my sig and you drink Bud.
For shame.
Try Chimay (http://www.chimay.com/www/chimay/site8/en/a_abbaye/a0_frameset.htm)
:D
Hope it's Ok.
hahahaha, not to worry, i do have diverse taste in beer. bud is just what my laptop likes. i think my fav beer is stella and newcasle. but dont mind bud if im already silly.
A friend stayed over my house one night and proceeded to get stupid drunk while I was asleep and started to play around with my PB with a 40 oz in his hand...needless to say he passed out but not before he knocked the whole 40 into my keyboard...my computer was soaked!!!

I took it to the place called Onyx here in Atlanta and they managed to completely fix it...Still running fine 3 years later...God I love Apple
wow, it just sat there all night? dam. im sure the morning clean up wasnt easier when the bad news was so fresh. did you have a hang over to top it off?.
im happy that it worked after u brought it in. how much was it? do u remember?

jamesW135
Apr 10, 2006, 08:55 PM
was that at the walt whitman apple store? i saw something similar there as well. something to do with a car and a power mac full of food.

OT: i just moved to Huntington Village after we couldn't find a place in Northport which was our first choice and as i see, where you are from. so, howdy neighbor!

OT again: do you subscribe the walt whitman apple store iCal calendar? i'm wondering why it lists all these evening in-store events that aren't actually going on? the emplyoees at the store had no clue either. i've seen some really cool stuff posted on the calendar like FileMaker Pro workshops at 10PM and other cool events but they are not actually happening. seems weird. have you ever attended Business Day Wednesday at the whitman store?

Yes it was!