PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 falling behind Android or catching up?

dmelgar
Oct 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
I'm reading non-stop negative press on this board, in the news, media, everywhere. Not sure why.

There's a narative that says the iPhone 5 is not a big update. That its finally falling behind Android competition.

Yet this doesn't seem obvious to me, at least not now.

I left the iPhone/iOS back when I had an iPhone 3G. I went and bought an HTC Incredible. When I left, here are the advantages that Android had over iOS.

Flash. Was a big selling point to view lots of apps. Suing Apple for saying you got the whole internet. Could watch flash video which was everywhere.
Turn by turn navigation. Was huge benefit. No option on iOS, not even 3rd party apps at the time.
Notifications. iOS didn't have the ability to queue them up. It was only an alert.
Background tasks: Back then, iOS couldn't do any user programs in the background. No Pandora, no Skype, no VOIP, nothing.
Voice recognition: Anywhere you could type you could use google's voice recognition.
Web browser text resizing: This is the one feature I still like in Android. Text in the browser can be made arbitrarily bigger by zooming in. It reflows the column.
LTE: I bought an HTC Thunderbolt early last year. The first of many LTE phones.

So here we are three years later, and NOW I hear that Apple has dropped the ball and fallen behind. Now?

Flash: Adobe is no longer supporting nor shipping on new Android phones. The web is rapidly moving away from flash (thankfully).
Turn by turn navigation: I love it, works well for me. Siri integration is awesome. Better than anything I could find on the phones I owned or even the S3 which I recently bought and tried.
Notifications: iOS added it.
Background tasks: iOS added it in a better more difficult way. Does not hurt battery life. Background tasks on Android are the reason for dismal battery life. Causes you to have to run juice defender, app killers etc.
Voice recognition: Check, iOS added it. Siri I think is superior to anything I've seen in the Android world.
Web browser text resize: iOS text still too small. That may be why folks don't like the iPhone 5. They don't want to admit they can't see the small text. If apple won't make a bigger screen phone, they need to allow bigger text.
LTE: check, iPhone 5 adds it.

So from here, it looks like iOS is a much better choice now than it was 3 years ago. Yet all of a sudden folks are claiming that NOW iOS has fallen behind Android.

What am I missing?

Edit: Forgot another missing feature from 3 years ago. iPhone was only available on AT&T and AT&T coverage is poor at my home, so I wanted to get Verizon.

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 8, 2012, 04:13 PM
Apple Maps is a big draw back. Gets you lost frequently. As well, the UI of iOS looks very, very stale and out of date compared to Android UI.

thefredelement
Oct 8, 2012, 04:22 PM
It's easy to feel at home and use both, but hands down have to give the apps edge to iOS, it's why I got an iPad and am getting an iPhone to replace their android counterparts.

Google Now is a huge leap though, I hope Apple adds something like that in the future, it's very aware and kind of neat.

dmelgar
Oct 8, 2012, 04:28 PM
Apple Maps is a big draw back. Gets you lost frequently. As well, the UI of iOS looks very, very stale and out of date compared to Android UI.

I hear these words a lot but again I'm not understanding.

"Gets your lost frequently". Hasn't happened to me. I've used it more lately than I ever used it on Android. Been working great. Reroutes quickly. Often comes up with better routes than Google. Maybe it depends on where you're at, because I'm just not seeing all this "getting lost" stuff.

"look very very stale". What does that mean exactly? How is Android fresh and exciting? I see every manufacturer throwing their own UI on it. Inconsistent approaches. Senseless animations. Lots of battery draining widgets that have been there for a while.

The UI in the apps hasn't changed in the same apps. So where else is this amazingly fresh new UI? What useful changes can you really make to it?

Settings has always been a random mishmash of options that varies by phone. Doesn't look particularly good. I can't comment on ICS or later because HTC has reneged to provide it after repeatedly promising they would. ICS & Jellybean aren't available for many phones other than current shipping.

Is this really a style issue? Do you want your phone to changes colors and style every couple of years to look "fresh"?

Ishimaru
Oct 8, 2012, 04:35 PM
Apple Maps ... Gets you lost frequently.Any claims to back that up? I've been using it since beta 1 and not once have I gotten lost because of it. Granted I do live in LA, but LA is gigantic and difficult to map. Not once have I gotten lost.

chakraj
Oct 8, 2012, 04:37 PM
Do you not see that you have answered your own question?

You made a list of features that Android had three years ago, on what is a not so good device.

Now you say, the new 2012 iphone has those old features that Android has had for a long time. Acting like android and the manufacturers have stood still.

So Yes apples new iphone 5 does have the same features as a three year old android phone, but is built fancier.

Now a New android phone, HTC X+ or GS3.......or..... has many more features that the iphone does not have, so yes Android is far ahead of IOS.

SO the new iphone is catching up with OLD android phones, while falling farther behind the new ones.

scaredpoet
Oct 8, 2012, 04:39 PM
I'm reading non-stop negative press on this board, in the news, media, everywhere. Not sure why.

Two simple reasons:

- Individuals like to feel that a Great Personal Injustice is done to them when their iDevice has an issue, and it must be proclaimed to the world in order to right this wrong. Often times, by the time the thread has reached page 3, the iPhone has been swapped and everything's good again.

You do get the wacko-swapos who are exchanging their iPhone 20 times, but those happen every product cycle, and many times (not always, but many times) the issue really isn't the product.

- Blogs and news sites, eager for page views, will latch onto these complaints and make "gates" out of them. They learned from "antennagate" that reporting on an issue with a phone that people are willing to stand in line for hours over is something that will draw people and generate page views and ad impressions, even if the information is inaccurate, exaggerated, or a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of what some other blog already repeated about the issue.

That's when the echo chamber amplifies it, and suddenly there's this impression that the iPhone 5 is a dud, and Apple will be going out of business any second now. There's no real truth to that conclusion, but every blog writing about it has confirmed one another's writing, and therefore they think it MUST be true.

The same is true about rumors. All the blogs were abuzz when someone "leaked" this concept image back in the summer of 2011:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/iphone5.jpg

Even though it looks like something that would be horrible to hold in your hand, and you might even slice a palm with that razor-sharp bottom, everyone thought THIS was going to be the "iPhone 4G" or "iPhone 5" coming out that October. All the blogs ran with it, and someone started making cases, and so suddenly it was "confirmed" that this was it.

Then, when the REAL announcement came, and the iPhone 4S ended up looking almost identical to the iPhone 4, everyone was disappointed. Blogs and forum regulars all claimed Apple didn't live up to their "promises" when in fact, they promised nothing.

People worked themselves into a frenzy, and when these unrealistic rumors didn't pan out, they blamed Apple, claiming they weren't "innovating" enough.

There's a narative that says the iPhone 5 is not a big update. That its finally falling behind Android competition.

Which is pretty much what they said about the 3GS, and the 4, and the 4S...

So from here, it looks like iOS is a much better choice now than it was 3 years ago. Yet all of a sudden folks are claiming that NOW iOS has fallen behind Android.

What am I missing?

Nothing. Just hype and wishful thinking.

XboxMySocks
Oct 8, 2012, 04:44 PM
Now a New android phone, HTC X+ or GS3.......or..... has many more features that the iphone does not have, so yes Android is far ahead of IOS.

Yes, like huge, unsightly screens that are poorly calibrated and look terrible :rolleyes:

TruckdriverSean
Oct 8, 2012, 04:45 PM
Depends on what your looking for, as it always has.

iOS and the iPhone are built on a minimalist philosophy, and doing things in iOS 6 is still as direct an experience as you would expect, still ball-bearing smooth. Everything is where you would expect it to be.

The iPhone 5's larger display is definitely a nice refinement, especially for watching video, playing games, or otherwise consuming content.

Passbook is interesting, but no more useful than NFC. Airplay is leaps and bounds above trying to deal with DLNA, but it still requires an Apple TV to get the most out of it.

The camera on the iPhone 5 is out front again (except for the Nokia 808), but you do have to be mindful of lens flare. Built in panorama is the easiest I've ever tried, but I still don't use it much.

Maps on iOS6 are kind of a wash compared to iOS5, as has been stated before, the data isn't as good in many areas, although in my area, (East Texas, SW Arkansas) Google's data was never very good in the first place. While I don't miss street view I know those that do. Turn by turn is very nice though, (assuming the data for your area is good). I use it constantly and the routes are usually GTG, although driving for a living I never trust machine routing exclusively.

But as always, your milage will vary. I'm happy with the iPhone 5, you might or might not be.

Quu
Oct 8, 2012, 04:45 PM
iOS would be a lot more useful if it was open like Android. Allowing applications to actually modify the operating system similar to how Apps can on OS X.

The sandboxing that Apple is doing, specifically denying apps from modifying the OS at all or running for more than 10 minutes after being switched from is severely limiting the platform. Android is so open and it has enabled a lot of innovation. Apple cannot provide every feature that literally thousands of developers are producing for Android and that is just a fact.

I own an iPhone 5, I love its hardware, I do like iOS but it isn't perfect. It looks great it works smoothly but I wish it was more open so we could benefit from 3rd party innovation like Android has.

chakraj
Oct 8, 2012, 04:46 PM
Yes, like huge, unsightly screens that are poorly calibrated and look terrible :rolleyes:

Well if thats the only feature you can think of then your in the right ecosystem.

XboxMySocks
Oct 8, 2012, 05:00 PM
Well if thats the only feature you can think of then your in the right ecosystem.

Are you implying that iPhone screens are huge and unsightly? LMFAO!

chakraj
Oct 8, 2012, 05:03 PM
Are you implying that iPhone screens are huge and unsightly? LMFAO!

No Im just saying that when I mentioned features you use the screen as the only one and thats not the case.

(what I meant was since all you could think of was the screen, your in the right ecosystem, as IOS is very limited just like the thinking you had used)

Apple spent more money on patenting than in R&D lst year, I think thats all I was trying to say.

I like both, usually have both.

robotphood
Oct 8, 2012, 05:25 PM
I think a 4.3" screen would have been perfect but the current hardware is close to what I consider perfect. I think the hardware has kept up with or surpassed its competitors for the most part. But iOS is starting to lag behind because it simply hasn't changed too much in functionality the past few years. I recently found a jailbroken iPod touch with iOS 3.1.3 that I lost in a move a year ago. I could still do more with it then what I'm limited to now on my iphone 5. One day apple will win the cat and mouse game and I'll have to sadly move on :(

thecurryman
Oct 8, 2012, 05:43 PM
I think a 4.3" screen would have been perfect but the current hardware is close to what I consider perfect. I think the hardware has kept up with or surpassed its competitors for the most part. But iOS is starting to lag behind because it simply hasn't changed too much in functionality the past few years. I recently found a jailbroken iPod touch with iOS 3.1.3 that I lost in a move a year ago. I could still do more with it then what I'm limited to now on my iphone 5. One day apple will win the cat and mouse game and I'll have to sadly move on :(

I agree. The current iPhone 5 slightly wider would be the best phone hardware wise out there...

gadget123
Oct 8, 2012, 05:45 PM
It's not catching up it's offering a totally different smart phone.

Just because Android has "other" features doesn't make them as useful as the IOS operating system.

And how many times has it got to be said..4"3, 4"7, 5" tablet/notes/Galaxy phones are too large to hold. :rolleyes:

phpmaven
Oct 8, 2012, 05:46 PM
iOS would be a lot more useful if it was open like Android. Allowing applications to actually modify the operating system similar to how Apps can on OS X.

The sandboxing that Apple is doing, specifically denying apps from modifying the OS at all or running for more than 10 minutes after being switched from is severely limiting the platform. Android is so open and it has enabled a lot of innovation. Apple cannot provide every feature that literally thousands of developers are producing for Android and that is just a fact.

I own an iPhone 5, I love its hardware, I do like iOS but it isn't perfect. It looks great it works smoothly but I wish it was more open so we could benefit from 3rd party innovation like Android has.

All of that openness comes at a price. Android phones are really easy to screw up. If you are tech savvy and careful you can tweak things and still keep a stable system, but the average person who starts installing apps willy-nilly will quickly find that their phone freezes/reboots/slows down etc...

On the other hand, it's almost impossible to screw an iPhone up. That's why it's a better choice in my opinion for the average consumer. Apple's "walled garden" approach, while it may be annoying to those who like to tinker and have control over everything, is much safer for most people who wouldn't know a megabyte if it bit them on the tuchas.

I've been in the tech field since the Commodore 64 was out and I even managed to mess up my Galaxy S2 pretty easily.

All of the this belly aching about how closed Apple is doesn't mean squat to the average smart phone owner. Because of the tech field I work in and the organizations I belong to, I know dozens of people with iPhones and they are almost all the kind of user that I'm talking about. It's like a LAN in an office. If you don't lock things down on the PCs in your organization, the end users will find really creative ways to screw things up. It's just the way it is with most people. Apple understands his and thats why they are so successful.

Quu
Oct 8, 2012, 05:56 PM
All of that openness comes at a price. Android phones are really easy to screw up. If you are tech savvy and careful you can tweak things and still keep a stable system, but the average person who starts installing apps willy-nilly will quickly find that their phone freezes/reboots/slows down etc...

On the other hand, it's almost impossible to screw an iPhone up. That's why it's a better choice in my opinion for the average consumer. Apple's "walled garden" approach, while it may be annoying to those who like to tinker and have control over everything, is much safer for most people who wouldn't know a megabyte if it bit them on the tuchas.

I've been in the tech field since the Commodore 64 was out and I even managed to mess up my Galaxy S2 pretty easily.

All of the this belly aching about how closed Apple is doesn't mean squat to the average smart phone owner. Because of the tech field I work in and the organizations I belong to, I know dozens of people with iPhones and they are almost all the kind of user that I'm talking about. It's like a LAN in an office. If you don't lock things down on the PCs in your organization, the end users will find really creative ways to screw things up. It's just the way it is with most people. Apple understands his and thats why they are so successful.

I know this already. I just wish it was more open anyway, I want control and openness.

Apple could do it, OS X isn't breaking down is it? And yet I can run Photoshop in the background, install extensions in to my browser. It can be done properly if they'd just try. The way they have it now is all about lock ins they want to supply everything. The apps, the experience. The fact that when the iPhone launched and we couldn't even install applications is very telling of their attitude. But it extends beyond that, now the new iPhone lightning cable even has a microchip in it which makes it very difficult to copy the cable or make unauthorized accessories, this is really disappointing.

I like Apples stuff I love their designs both Hardware and Software but they need to loosen up and let other companies add value to their ecosystem in ways that Apple haven't imagined possible yet. At the moment everyone is having to play in Apples tightly controlled sand pit and that is going to hurt them in the long run as Android continues to dominate in market share and grow every year in features and ease of use.

TheWheelMan
Oct 8, 2012, 05:57 PM
Apple sold five million iPhone 5s the first weekend of release. I think that makes the entire "iPhone is falling behind Android" argument rather moot. Yes, the whole prestige thing does have some impact on its sales, but bottomline is that iPhone is still king because it's just a d@mn good device. You can dress up a Buick with all sorts of neat features, but it's still not a Rolls Royce. No matter what features you add to an Android (and some of them are really nice), it'll never be an iPhone.

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 8, 2012, 05:59 PM
Apple sold five million iPhone 5s the first weekend of release. I think that makes the entire "iPhone is falling behind Android" argument rather moot. Yes, the whole prestige thing does have some impact on its sales, but bottomline is that iPhone is still king because it's just a d@mn good device. You can dress up a Buick with all sorts of neat features, but it's still not a Rolls Royce. No matter what features you add to an Android (and some of them are really nice), it'll never be an iPhone.

By your analogy, Windows 7 sold more copies in one weekend than OSX did in an entire year. Therefore, by your logic, OSX is a piece of stinky doo doo.

gentlefury
Oct 8, 2012, 06:02 PM

I left the iPhone/iOS back when I had an iPhone 3G. I went and bought an HTC Incredible. When I left, here are the advantages that Android had over iOS.

Flash. Was a big selling point to view lots of apps. Suing Apple for saying you got the whole internet. Could watch flash video which was everywhere.
Turn by turn navigation. Was huge benefit. No option on iOS, not even 3rd party apps at the time.
Notifications. iOS didn't have the ability to queue them up. It was only an alert.
Background tasks: Back then, iOS couldn't do any user programs in the background. No Pandora, no Skype, no VOIP, nothing.
Voice recognition: Anywhere you could type you could use google's voice recognition.
Web browser text resizing: This is the one feature I still like in Android. Text in the browser can be made arbitrarily bigger by zooming in. It reflows the column.

So here we are three years later, and NOW I hear that Apple has dropped the ball and fallen behind. Now?

Flash: Adobe is no longer supporting nor shipping on new Android phones. The web is rapidly moving away from flash (thankfully).
Turn by turn navigation: I love it, works well for me. Siri integration is awesome. Better than anything I could find on the phones I owned or even the S3 which I recently bought and tried.
Background tasks: iOS added it in a better more difficult way. Does not hurt battery life. Background tasks on Android are the reason for dismal battery life. Causes you to have to run juice defender, app killers etc.
Voice recognition: Check, iOS added it. Siri I think is superior to anything I've seen in the Android world.
Web browser text resize: iOS text still too small. That may be why folks don't like the iPhone 5. They don't want to admit they can't see the small text. If apple won't make a bigger screen phone, they need to allow bigger text.

What am I missing?

Not really sure who said iOS was slipping in any way....5 million pre-order iPhone 5 sales would indicate otherwise.

Sure compare iOS vs Android and I'm sure Android comes out on top...because iPhone is ONLY made by apple...but every other manufacturer sells an android phone. It would be more of a comparison to head say, Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy. Then at least it would be one manufacturer against another.

Comparing iPhone against every other phone is like comparing a Honda Accord vs every other vehicle with 4 wheels.

Mr Hill
Oct 8, 2012, 06:03 PM

Totally agree with you on this. Apple is so successful because they understand the average consumer. I can't even count how many people bring their Androids into our store daily complaining that their device has slowed down, is acting weird, or they think it has a virus.

Also most of the customizing that Android users love so much usually bogs down system performance or decreases battery life because so much is going on. iOS has always been smooth and stable while Android is just getting there with 4.1 Jelly Bean (at least until the user starts customizing too much).

One last thing I'll say about the Androids I've used is the quality of the apps. Many of the apps that I use on iOS I also installed on my Androids and usually they were missing some features, were buggier, or crashed often. "Force Close" was a common sight.

gentlefury
Oct 8, 2012, 06:03 PM
Any claims to back that up? I've been using it since beta 1 and not once have I gotten lost because of it. Granted I do live in LA, but LA is gigantic and difficult to map. Not once have I gotten lost.

I'm also in LA and its been pretty flawless. As a matter of fact, I used it the other day because my cars GPS had no clue where I had to go. iOS maps got me there just fine!

gadget123
Oct 8, 2012, 06:04 PM

Because Android has some things people class as "superior" some people think IOS is falling behind.

However as has been said Google wouldn't allow turn by turn so Apple had to add there own.

From what I gather there's lots of free games that are useless and hopeless features people don't need.

Even if Apple doesn't add something right away. Maybe NFC? We know it will take off when Apple develop it as it will work better with IOS.

Things like Wiglets, flash, 5" screens I think Apple will steer clear off as it's all gimmicks which slow the handset down or phones which are too big to hold.

Bahroo
Oct 8, 2012, 06:11 PM

You made a list of features that Android had three years ago, on what is a not so good device.

Now you say, the new 2012 iphone has those old features that Android has had for a long time. Acting like android and the manufacturers have stood still.

So Yes apples new iphone 5 does have the same features as a three year old android phone, but is built fancier.

SO the new iphone is catching up with OLD android phones, while falling farther behind the new ones.

Right... LTE was trash on the Thunderbolt when it came out, (2 hour batttery life on LTE ring a bell?) Flash was awful when it came out on Android... Android may have implemented features earlier then iOS but it was terrible, unoptimized implementations... at least when Apple comes out with features like Android they do it right the first time instead of it being finally bareable and good 2-3 years after it came out.

Lets not forget that the openness of Android allows for much more malware and rogue apps then iOS... I read a few months ago that malware was up 580% in one month on the Play Store? I cant imagine what the number is at now. Plus what good is all these "features" if your dual core Android smartphone (Evo 3D, etc) is still stuck on Gingerbread LOL. Only 2 % of Android users are on Jelly Bean... that is pathetic ..nuff said

Plus more features doesnt mean better... espcially if there implented wrongly.

What good is all these "features" if my browser on my super powerful Galaxy S3 with 2 gigs of RAM crashes at least 2-3 times a day while on my ipad 1 with 256 mb of ram it never crashes, or how scrolling and pinch to zoom and just general smoothness and fluidity of the OS on my old iPhone 4 is still smoother and more fluent then my super powerful GS3...or how my Messages app on my GS3 crashes here and there...(Messages has stopped working.. WAIT WHAT LOL?) not to mention copy and paste/trying to edit sentences on Android is still god awful, the blue thing to trace what letter your at always jumps around and the page starts to become spastic. Terribly implemented...

Like I said' Android adds features but forgets basic core functionality and usability... like i said there should be no reason why my GS3 browser crashes everday even though it has much superior hardware then the ipad 1 and iphone 4 and it doesnt on these 2 products or why general OS fluidity and smoothness is better on iOS with inferior hardware... but go ahead...keep saying Android is ahead you can deny this its OK.

Gathomblipoob
Oct 8, 2012, 06:12 PM
The only feature I really miss from Android is browser text resizing.

chakraj
Oct 8, 2012, 06:25 PM
my favorite android feature is the ability to add custom ROMS and to remove the spy ware that the carriers and the manufacturer has added.

My information is my property, and my property is very valuable. You can only have it if you pay me for it,and I explicitly agree to the terms.

NovemberWhiskey
Oct 8, 2012, 06:33 PM
iOS has fallen behind Android in terms of innovative new features, but does the basic things much much better. I was almost convinced that Apple lost the race to Android until I gave the iphone 5 a try, but the phone just completely changed my mind.

The iphone 5 is the best smartphone I've ever used hands down. While it lacks those innovative new features (and still gets some minor things wrong like the notification menu), it does nearly everything you could want in a communication device flawlessly. It's the intangibles that people ignore when a new device is marketed that really make it stand out: the screen, the speed, the reliability and precision. I mocked all these things when the 4 came out, but they really are a nice change.

Android is catching up. ICS was revolutionary in that it approached iOS's precision and reliability. Jellybean was a further refinement of that. I am sure that after a few more years of refining that OS, Android will be just as polished as iOS unless there are patents holding them back.

dmelgar
Oct 8, 2012, 06:37 PM

What new features? I tried a S3 and saw a bunch of features to make their chart look better, but few were practical. Tilt to zoom is my favorite feature to showcase non-useful, clueless imitation of gestures.

What is so dramatically better in the latest crop of Android phones?

Folks talk about the HTC Thunderbolt like its from the stone age. This was the premier phone in May 2011, just 1 1/2 years ago. The iPhone 4 had already been out for months, iPhone 4S came out 5 months later. Yet this phone is somehow ancient.

mjpearce023
Oct 8, 2012, 06:39 PM
After using the HTC One X for 2 weeks I would say Android has passed iOS up in some areas but is still behind in others. I think itís more that iOS is specifically designed for the iPhone while Android is made to be used with many different manufactures. I don't know how android can make up for this but even the high end androids don't seem to have the speed or smoothness that the iPhone 5 has. I had 4.0 on the One X so I don't know how much better 4.1 will be but I can say I'm really happy I went with the 5. I do get why some people like Android so much because it really does have some great features. I think its just personal preference and I really don't understand why people argue so much about Android vs iPhone. I get what works best for me but I donít see the point in bashing someone else because they prefer a different OS. Its good to have options out there and it makes the market more competitive so I hope Android continues to improve because it should make Apple work that much harder. Who knows, next year I could end up with the S4 instead of the iPhone 5S.

cynics
Oct 8, 2012, 06:48 PM

Just because Android has "other" features doesn't make them as useful as the IOS operating system.

And how many times has it got to be said..4"3, 4"7, 5" tablet/notes/Galaxy phones are too large to hold. :rolleyes:

How can Motorola make a phone the size of an iPhone 4/4S with a 4.3" screen and people still claim there too big. Now Apple has a bigger phone with a smaller screen and its easier to hold? I guess if we continue to pick worse case scenarios the competition will never add up.

robotphood
Oct 8, 2012, 06:48 PM
I think it's totally overblown when people say that Android is so buggy, unstable or laggy. But it probably doesn't help that it's so fragmented and that many phones are a couple versions behind at times. Even if we were to take the comparison to Android out of the equation I still think it's valid to compare what you get with many cydia tweaks and apps on a jailbroken iphone. Not all are polished and refined but most major ones are. I agree that Apple does have to polish something before incorporating it into the next release but I think their advancement is too slow. For example, many of us probably could not live without notification center at this point (at least comfortably) but there was a comparable tweak (arguably better after refinement) found in cydia since os3. I'm still waiting for them to incorporate some type of quick reply system for messaging and chat protocols but we will probably not see it until os 7 or 8 when they claim it's a "revolutionary" killer feature. If only jailbreaking wasn't attached to security holes and piracy :rolleyes:

Larger than 4.3", yes for most hands. But there are 4.3" phones pretty much the same dimensions as the 3GS but thinner than the iphone 5. Sure it's a bit bigger than the 4 and 5 but no one would consider it too large to hold.

Oh yeah, the Razr-i has the length and thickness of the iphone 5 and slightly narrower than a 3GS but with a 4.3" screen. Apple could do this, look at what they stuffed into the body of a iphone 5.

TheWheelMan
Oct 8, 2012, 06:56 PM
By your analogy, Windows 7 sold more copies in one weekend than OSX did in an entire year. Therefore, by your logic, OSX is a piece of stinky doo doo.

Considering that I didn't even trash Android, your statement is utter garbage. My analogy clearly states, for the literate among us, that That Apple has achieved a level of excellence in people's minds that Android will never catch up too. There's nothing wrong with a feature-rich Buick, and I NEVER suggested there was. But no one will ever compare it to a Rolls Royce, and in the minds of the consumer, the iPhone is the Rolls Royce of cellphones. The overall quality is more meaningful to a lot of people rather than all the bells and whistles of other devices.

chakraj
Oct 8, 2012, 06:59 PM
What new features? I tried a S3 and saw a bunch of features to make their chart look better, but few were practical. Tilt to zoom is my favorite feature to showcase non-useful, clueless imitation of gestures.

Folks talk about the HTC Thunderbolt like its from the stone age. This was the premier phone in May 2011, just 1 1/2 years ago. The iPhone 4 had already been out for months, iPhone 4S came out 5 months later. Yet this phone is somehow ancient.

Oh, now I understand, you dont count features you dont use. OK well Im glad that tech companies dont have that same mind set, or we would never get any advancements at all.

----------

Considering that I didn't even trash Android, your statement is utter garbage. My analogy clearly states, for the literate among us, that That Apple has achieved a level of excellence in people's minds that Android will never catch up too. There's nothing wrong with a feature-rich Buick, and I NEVER suggested there was. But no one will ever compare it to a Rolls Royce, and in the minds of the consumer, the iPhone is the Rolls Royce of cellphones. The overall quality is more meaningful to a lot of people rather than all the bells and whistles of other devices.

He was saying that just because you sell a ton doesnt make it the best.

Mc Donalds sells billions of hamburgers, but Rooth Christs is still better even with WAY lower sales.

cynics
Oct 8, 2012, 06:59 PM

A year and a half is very long time in the tech world at least according to Moore's law....

Bahroo
Oct 8, 2012, 07:23 PM
iOS has fallen behind Android in terms of innovative new features, but does the basic things much much better. I was almost convinced that Apple lost the race to Android until I gave the iphone 5 a try, but the phone just completely changed my mind.

The iphone 5 is the best smartphone I've ever used hands down. While it lacks those innovative new features (and still gets some minor things wrong like the notification menu), it does nearly everything you could want in a communication device flawlessly. It's the intangibles that people ignore when a new device is marketed that really make it stand out: the screen, the speed, the reliability and precision. I mocked all these things when the 4 came out, but they really are a nice change.

Android is catching up. ICS was revolutionary in that it approached iOS's precision and reliability. Jellybean was a further refinement of that. I am sure that after a few more years of refining that OS, Android will be just as polished as iOS unless there are patents holding them back.

I dont really agree with you on when you say iOS has fallen behind in innovation... What stands out so much on Android that iOS doesnt have? You cant say flash because flash is off the Play Store... But regardless this is my point exactly. What you said hit the nail on the head, the intangibles and the reliability and speed of iPhones is just what makes them so good.. really thats the root of a phone, usability, etc...

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 8, 2012, 07:31 PM
I dont really agree with you on when you say iOS has fallen behind in innovation... What stands out so much on Android that iOS doesnt have? You cant say flash because flash is off the Play Store... But regardless this is my point exactly. What you said hit the nail on the head, the intangibles and the reliability and speed of iPhones is just what makes them so good.. really thats the root of a phone, usability, etc...

Oh, I'll be simple with you: The ability to block text messages or calls from a specific phone number or how about being able to add multiple PDF attachments to an e-mail? Or how about split screen multi-tasking from the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 where you can open two apps side by side?

JS82712
Oct 8, 2012, 07:37 PM

'stale' and 'out of date' lol.
I didn't know that a good UI has to be a gimmicky and pretty one
Name one element of the android UI that's more intuitive than iOS (no, widgets don't count) :rolleyes:

Apple maps gets you lost frequently? Obviously you are just a fandroid who has no idea what you are talking about. Apple Maps is missing proper satellite imaging and POI data, but most roads...etc are in place; I've used it since the beta to travel to rural areas, it worked better than my stand-alone GPS ever did.

NovemberWhiskey
Oct 8, 2012, 07:37 PM

lol. Was wondering how long it would take for someone to criticize my overwhelming support of the iphone 5.

Only on this forum, I swear...

andyblila
Oct 8, 2012, 07:39 PM

I agree that Maps needs a lot of work, but disagree completely with the UI looking stale. I prefer comfortable. All of the Apple Apps have been reworked, but I like the familiar comfort and ease of use of iOS. I don't want to learn a new OS every time I upgrade my phone. I like iOS just the way it is.

JS82712
Oct 8, 2012, 07:41 PM

It's always funny how android users try to claim that their jellybean (ew.) is somehow on par with iOS in smoothness; I've used several devices running JB, and it still doesn't feel responsive enough for me.

iPhone may have some 'catching-up' to do in the customization part, but its fundamental functions are still way ahead of android. (at the very least, it doesnt take 5 iterations of OS updates to get a 'butter-smooth' experience that merely shoots up your CPU :rolleyes:)

----------

The only feature I really miss from Android is browser text resizing.

easy
Go to 'reader' mode in safari, change text size to whatever you prefer ;)

AFDoc
Oct 8, 2012, 07:42 PM
For me it's falling behind. The S3 I picked up was nice, great screen and all but I think the i5 is a far superior phone FOR ME. So if I have no desire to use an android os'd based phone, it's falling behind.

Of course you're comparing hardware vs software but I believe we all know what you mean.

acorntoy
Oct 8, 2012, 07:43 PM
Neither falling behind or catching up.

I feel as if android and iOS target a different audience, and therefore can't be fairly compared.

robotphood
Oct 8, 2012, 08:00 PM
Apple maps gets you lost frequently? Obviously you are just a fandroid who has no idea what you are talking about. Apple Maps is missing proper satellite imaging and POI data, but most roads...etc are in place; I've used it since the beta to travel to rural areas, it worked better than my stand-alone GPS ever did.

I've never gotten lost but routes to a handful of places I tested launch day were all over the place (downtown LA and parts of Orange County). Also a few POIs were in the wrong location (by 10 miles at times) so I could see how some people may have gotten lost there. But to be fair I reported everything I could and a week later all the issues I saw were fixed including routes. I love the app itself for its layout, yelp integration and overall smoothness. Just needs more data. My friends from other countries (euro and asia) still have glaring problems however.

JS82712
Oct 8, 2012, 08:04 PM
I've never gotten lost but routes to a handful of places I tested launch day were all over the place (downtown LA and parts of Orange County). Also a few POIs were in the wrong location (by 10 miles at times) so I could see how some people may have gotten lost there. But to be fair I reported everything I could and a week later all the issues I saw were fixed including routes. I love the app itself for its layout, yelp integration and overall smoothness. Just needs more data. My friends from other countries (euro and asia) still have glaring problems however.

Looks like we've had very similar experience with apple maps :D

THIS is an honest review, unlike some trolls who love to blow things out of proportion even though they don't own an iOS device. To that fandroid I just quoted in my previous post, go back to your fragmented android forums. ;)

dmelgar
Oct 8, 2012, 08:14 PM
After using the HTC One X for 2 weeks I would say Android has passed iOS up in some areas but is still behind in others. I think itís more that iOS is specifically designed for the iPhone while Android is made to be used with many different manufactures. I don't know how android can make up for this but even the high end androids don't seem to have the speed or smoothness that the iPhone 5 has. I had 4.0 on the One X so I don't know how much better 4.1 will be but I can say I'm really happy I went with the 5. I do get why some people like Android so much because it really does have some great features. I think its just personal preference and I really don't understand why people argue so much about Android vs iPhone. I get what works best for me but I donít see the point in bashing someone else because they prefer a different OS. Its good to have options out there and it makes the market more competitive so I hope Android continues to improve because it should make Apple work that much harder. Who knows, next year I could end up with the S4 instead of the iPhone 5S.
I can see folks liking Android who haven't been burned by the lack of updates, the free but untended ecosystem. It sounds good at the beginning, but sours over time. But by then you forget iOS and don't remember or know what its like. iOS is generally more stable, just works, and continues to be supported. Android has open facilities that are often abused, such as background processes that misbehave.

I think part of the argument of Android vs. iPhone is the court cases. Its in the best interest of the companies involved to get the public riled up and rooting for their side. It does bring stark differences. I'm disappointed that the general consensus seems to think it was ok for Samsung to copy iPhone and that Apple should have just ignored it. But I think many in the Android community like Android because it seems free or at least cheaper. Don't want to pay for protected intellectual property.

auero
Oct 8, 2012, 08:14 PM
They're totally different and aimed at a different demographic of people. Android is perfect for those who like to tinker and customize to their maximum potential. iOS on the other hand is made simple and easy to use by anyone. Not to say Android is too difficult to use but if you put both an Android and iOS device into a computer illiterate persons hands, iOS should be easier to grasp.

I spent a bit with a Galaxy Nexus and I really enjoyed the OS. I think they're both great. I actually had a hard time convincing myself to go back to iOS. iMessages is very important to me because I'm in a lot of areas where I only have wifi access. Another reason is I find that more applications come out for iOS first (and sometimes only) because its an easier system to develop for as well as more secure for companies who for example want to provide live tv streaming (such as my cable company). I also have a lot invested into the apple ecosystem (apple tv, airport expresses around the house, macs, apps, etc...).

I think the competition is good and I don't doubt I'll own an android device in the future. I don't believe in absolute brand loyalty. I purchase what works best for me needs.

cynics
Oct 8, 2012, 08:17 PM
'stale' and 'out of date' lol.
I didn't know that a good UI has to be a gimmicky and pretty one
Name one element of the android UI that's more intuitive than iOS (no, widgets don't count) :rolleyes:

I think a lot of things about Android are more intuitive and vice versa. Like adding a PDF to an email, it very easy on Android. I had to get on this forum and ask how to do it in iOS.

I think the picture gallery in iOS is a mess too. How do I find a picture, I have over 700 and there is no dates? Takes me forever to find something.

I'm not a huge fan of the settings menu. Things are out of place and sometimes redundant, like location services. I feel like its a search when I need to adjust settings, not just going to it like in Android where you have an organized setup, network, device, personal, and system.

I don't think apps settings are intuitive either, some are in the app some are in settings.

I could find a lot of things but overall in general especially with iOS 6 I feel they are just squeezing features into the OS instead of redoing the OS for the features.

dmelgar
Oct 8, 2012, 08:25 PM
Oh, I'll be simple with you: The ability to block text messages or calls from a specific phone number or how about being able to add multiple PDF attachments to an e-mail? Or how about split screen multi-tasking from the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 where you can open two apps side by side?

The split screen multi-tasking looks interesting. AFAIK, thats a Samsung addition, not part of Android. It only works with specific Samsung apps. And during the ads I've seen, they conveniently left out the keyboard which would have covered up one the app that was supposed to use it. Android users pointed that out. Typical Samsung, trying to put lipstick on it. I commend them for trying new features, but many seem haphazard. There are some interesting ideas. The Apple mantra has always been to be light on features but do them well. If you want lots of open customizability, you can try Windows or Linux as well.
Some of the features I found interesting on the S3 included the additional controls on the camera, "burst mode" - the quick series of shorts to pick the best one, the idea of saying a word to have S-Voice respond. Although in practice it didn't work and kills the battery. I actually loved their note app (S-memo) where you can do voice recognition into it and the words show up as you say them, not after you tell it to stop listening like all over voice recognitions.
Put I also like iOS6 panorama photos. Amazingly easy to use. And I prefer Siri to S-voice which seems like a rushed imitation. And if you're in the Apple eco-system, I'm loving iMessage, Find my Friends, and FaceTime. And Skype works way better as well without killing the battery.

Overall I think all the phones have reached "good enough" stage for everyone and it gets down to size preferences and support, which my past experience says is lacking on Android.

But back to the original point, I think iOS 6 and iPhone 5 are not lacking in any significant way vs. Android, unlike the iPhone 3, 3GS, 4. I think iPhone 5 is a huge step up, the best iPhone yet and compares very favorably to the Android flock.

swy05
Oct 8, 2012, 08:39 PM
Right... LTE was trash on the Thunderbolt when it came out, (2 hour batttery life on LTE ring a bell?) Flash was awful when it came out on Android... Android may have implemented features earlier then iOS but it was terrible, unoptimized implementations... at least when Apple comes out with features like Android they do it right the first time instead of it being finally bareable and good 2-3 years after it came out.

Lets not forget that the openness of Android allows for much more malware and rogue apps then iOS... I read a few months ago that malware was up 580% in one month on the Play Store? I cant imagine what the number is at now. Plus what good is all these "features" if your dual core Android smartphone (Evo 3D, etc) is still stuck on Gingerbread LOL. Only 2 % of Android users are on Jelly Bean... that is pathetic ..nuff said

Plus more features doesnt mean better... espcially if there implented wrongly.

What good is all these "features" if my browser on my super powerful Galaxy S3 with 2 gigs of RAM crashes at least 2-3 times a day while on my ipad 1 with 256 mb of ram it never crashes, or how scrolling and pinch to zoom and just general smoothness and fluidity of the OS on my old iPhone 4 is still smoother and more fluent then my super powerful GS3...or how my Messages app on my GS3 crashes here and there...(Messages has stopped working.. WAIT WHAT LOL?) not to mention copy and paste/trying to edit sentences on Android is still god awful, the blue thing to trace what letter your at always jumps around and the page starts to become spastic. Terribly implemented...

Like I said' Android adds features but forgets basic core functionality and usability... like i said there should be no reason why my GS3 browser crashes everday even though it has much superior hardware then the ipad 1 and iphone 4 and it doesnt on these 2 products or why general OS fluidity and smoothness is better on iOS with inferior hardware... but go ahead...keep saying Android is ahead you can deny this its OK.

Seriously, troll harder.

Obvious you've never even had a S3. So stop pretending you had one and stop making up these fairy tale stories of how the S3 is garbage compared to an ipad1.

It's obvious you're full of it because well, what do you know? I have an S3 and ipad1 right in front of me.

My S3 has never crashed in any web browser, let alone any app so far. My ipad1 on the other hand, crashes all the time when using Safari. You know why it crashes? Because of the measly 256mb of ram compared to 2gb's on the S3, so now you're just making crap up.

Your lying and blind fanboyism is showing.

Bahroo
Oct 8, 2012, 08:52 PM
Seriously, troll harder.

Obvious you've never even had a S3. So stop pretending you had one and stop making up these fairy tale stories of how the S3 is garbage compared to an ipad1.

It's obvious you're full of it because well, what do you know? I have an S3 and ipad1 right in front of me.

My S3 has never crashed in any web browser, let alone any app so far. My ipad1 on the other hand, crashes all the time when using Safari. You know why it crashes? Because of the measly 256mb of ram compared to 2gb's on the S3, so now you're just making crap up.

Your lying and blind fanboyism is showing.

Am I now? My ipad is on iOS 5.1 and Safari never crashes unless I have alot of tabs open which i never do, and first off i never claimed the S3 was garbage so stop making things up all i am doing is just comparing and telling you what I experience on a day to day basis. My Verizon Galaxy S3 is running Android 4.04, the lAtest software I can get, All my apps are updated on a daily basis and I regularily restart my phone... So now what am i making up again?

Bahroo
Oct 8, 2012, 08:59 PM
It's always funny how android users try to claim that their jellybean (ew.) is somehow on par with iOS in smoothness; I've used several devices running JB, and it still doesn't feel responsive enough for me.

iPhone may have some 'catching-up' to do in the customization part, but its fundamental functions are still way ahead of android. (at the very least, it doesnt take 5 iterations of OS updates to get a 'butter-smooth' experience that merely shoots up your CPU :rolleyes:)

----------

easy
Go to 'reader' mode in safari, change text size to whatever you prefer ;)

I actually feel the same exact way too, while Jelly Bean improves responsiveness and smoothness by alot, It still has that very slight delay, thats doesnt feel like its 100% precise but it is a big improvement over ICS i will say.

AppleFan91
Oct 8, 2012, 08:59 PM
I had an SIII for a couple of weeks - great device, that being said, my BIGGEST complaint is simply the build quality of the phone. It honestly feels that it's a toy and not an expensive, well build device that it's price suggests

utl768
Oct 8, 2012, 09:01 PM
way ahead

android is way too laggy

Bahroo
Oct 8, 2012, 09:11 PM
lol. Was wondering how long it would take for someone to criticize my overwhelming support of the iphone 5.

Only on this forum, I swear...

Nah dude thats exactly why I think iOS is better then Android is because of the reasons you listed... Im just saying

----------

Yeah because having two apps open side by side would just be so great on a 4 inch screen, it would be so useful /sarcasm... Cant compare a smartphone to a phablet the features are going to be tailored to one and another...

House Crasher
Oct 8, 2012, 09:28 PM
I've said it here before, I'm a HUGE Apple fan from back in the mid 80's and my SE30. Today I own a 15" MBP and an 11" MBA, I LOVE them!! Couldn't be without them. I have also owned every single iPhone made to date, every time an S version came out I updated. I have loved every iPhone up through the 4S, each one made great strides but also understand each version made less strides than the version before it.

I like millions was hoping the iPhone 5 would be the game changer...sadly it wasn't and blast me if you want but all Apple truly did was add LTE and half an inch to the screens length and called it a day. Apple has pissed off Samsung, pissed off Google and most importantly pissed off many of their die hard customers, I'm one of them.

Today smartphones are all about larger screens and great flexibility, and this is where Android based phones have progressed forward leaving Apple looking somewhat slow on the tech front.

I'll wait to see what Apple may or may not do a year from now but I'm not holding my breath, with the icon gone (SJ) I don't think anyone in Cupertino has the family jewels to make any great strides.

----------

I had an SIII for a couple of weeks - great device, that being said, my BIGGEST complaint is simply the build quality of the phone. It honestly feels that it's a toy and not an expensive, well build device that it's price suggests

I hear this all the time and I really don't understand it. I have the S3 and its rock solid on all fronts. Do I LOVE the device, NO, I wanted an iPhone 5 but not the one Apple brought us. FWIW, the Galaxy S3 was 100% flawless in build quality out of the box, first electronic device I've bought in maybe 15 years that was. Build quality is incredible on S3, is it soft aluminum, hell no.

swy05
Oct 8, 2012, 09:30 PM
Am I now? My ipad is on iOS 5.1 and Safari never crashes unless I have alot of tabs open which i never do, and first off i never claimed the S3 was garbage so stop making things up all i am doing is just comparing and telling you what I experience on a day to day basis. My Verizon Galaxy S3 is running Android 4.04, the lAtest software I can get, All my apps are updated on a daily basis and I regularily restart my phone... So now what am i making up again?

You ever think you got a defective phone?

My s3 has never crashed one me. Not even once. Whether it be apps, msgs, web browser. My s2 on the other hand crashed frequently.

My ipad1 on the other hand, crashes all the damn time.

Bahroo
Oct 8, 2012, 09:31 PM
I've said it here before, I'm a HUGE Apple fan from back in the mid 80's and my SE30. Today I own a 15" MBP and an 11" MBA, I LOVE them!! Couldn't be without them. I have also owned every single iPhone made to date, every time an S version came out I updated. I have loved every iPhone up through the 4S, each one made great strides but also understand each version made less strides than the version before it.

I like millions was hoping the iPhone 5 would be the game changer...sadly it wasn't and blast me if you want but all Apple truly did was add LTE and half an inch to the screens length and called it a day. Apple has pissed off Samsung, pissed off Google and most importantly pissed off many of their die hard customers, I'm one of them.

Today smartphones are all about larger screens and great flexibility, and this is where Android based phones have progressed forward leaving Apple looking somewhat slow on the tech front.

I'll wait to see what Apple may or may not do a year from now but I'm not holding my breath, with the icon gone (SJ) I don't think anyone in Cupertino has the family jewels to make any great strides.

----------

I hear this all the time and I really don't understand it. I have the S3 and its rock solid on all fronts. Do I LOVE the device, NO, I wanted an iPhone 5 but not the one Apple brought us. FWIW, the Galaxy S3 was 100% flawless in build quality out of the box, first electronic device I've bought in maybe 15 years that was. Build quality is incredible on S3, is it soft aluminum, hell no.

Im just curious, do you think a phone having a bigger screen mAkes a phone better or superior to others? Isnt it based on preference? Im sure if they made the iphone any bigger them 4.3 inches you would hear alot of people complaining

House Crasher
Oct 8, 2012, 09:36 PM
Im just curious, do you think a phone having a bigger screen mAkes a phone better or superior to others? Isnt it based on preference? Im sure if they made the iphone any bigger them 4.3 inches you would hear alot of people complaining

The extra screen size makes things like email and web so much nicer, in fact everything is just better looking. Hey, their coming out with a smaller iPad to compliment the larger iPad, maybe in a year or so they will launch a 4.5" iPhone and still offer the 4" to those who like small phones.

psykick5
Oct 8, 2012, 09:40 PM
The UI is just an opinion, but the facts are the facts. The iOS maps system is now inferior by far, and the notification system is worse off than when they didn't have it (because Android's wasn't as good as it is now.)

Notifications is the weakest link in my mind. The Jelly Bean notification system is MILES beyond the archaic/dumb/tacked on system they have in iOS. They hardly made an effort to make it even decent. I would not hesitate to call it garbage. It needs not just an overhaul, it needs complete reworking with some EFFORT actually put in to make it decent.

dmelgar
Oct 8, 2012, 10:03 PM

As a Macbook Air owner, you of all people should realize that its harder to make a small phone than a big phone. iPhone 5 is the first phone to use the latest power efficient LTE chip, has the fastest CPU etc. Lots of horsepower in a very small package.
Apple has specifically chosen to keep the size small. At first I agreed with you. Having had a 4.3" Android phone the iPhone seems small. I must admit the "Thumb" ad worked on me. Using the iPhone 5 I had forgotten what it was like to be able to comfortably use the phone with one hand. For all the 4.3" size, I've always found Android keyboard so hard to use I've given up over time. I vaguely remembered my iPhone 3G where i could type very very fast. It was a distant memory. But on the new iPhone 5 I can type fast again. The screen size works.
Maybe Apple will come out with more variety of sizes someday. But for now the iPhone 5 size seems pretty good.

SporkLover
Oct 8, 2012, 10:15 PM

What am I missing?

Edit: Forgot another missing feature from 3 years ago. iPhone was only available on AT&T and AT&T coverage is poor at my home, so I wanted to get Verizon.

I do think the iPhone is starting to catch Android in functionality that's existed for a while. All the way from the first iPhone in 2007, the things that were left off or functionality left behind boggled my mind as even the Windows phone of the previous generation had them... (apps/mms/etc).

With just about all of the major functionalities of IOS, you can almost tag it existing in Android or other mobile OS for sometime already. When Siri launched, Google had voice search for awhile. Panorama for ios 5.... Yup android already had it.

But with all that said, Apple has pegged the consumer base and leads in other areas. As subjective as it might seem, Apple definitely leads in quality. Apple is better integrated vertically. iOS is finely tuned to the iPhone...... Sometimes on android it doesn't seem that the marriage of OS and handset are so harmonic. My Photon 4g made me want to scream with how it behaved sometimes. And customer service is Top notch with Apple. Try turning in your HTC flagship phone in for warranty work..... Just not the same.

Russiaone
Oct 8, 2012, 10:16 PM
ONLY Reason why I'm sticking with iPhone for now is because the app store has many more quality games than does the Google Play store. If I wanted the best phone, though, I'd jump ship post haste. PLUS, Android (especially stock Android) outclasses iOS like nobody's business.

mjpearce023
Oct 8, 2012, 10:18 PM
They're totally different and aimed at a different demographic of people. Android is perfect for those who like to tinker and customize to their maximum potential. iOS on the other hand is made simple and easy to use by anyone.

I've heard that a lot and I've actually found the opposite to be true with the people I know. Most of my tech savvy friends have iPhones while the people who have android don't know that much about them. I only know one person who has loaded a custom rom on their android. I have found the larger screen is the main reason why most people I know got android. Most of them don't know anything about updates or jelly bean or ice cream sandwich. I'm not saying that iphone owners are not the same because i know a lot of iphone owners that know very little about their phone as well. I think on the whole only a small percentage of people who own smartphones are really all that tech savvy. This is just my opinion so I'm not stating anything as fact but this is just what I've found.

JS82712
Oct 8, 2012, 10:27 PM
ONLY Reason why I'm sticking with iPhone for now is because the app store has many more quality games than does the Google Play store. If I wanted the best phone, though, I'd jump ship post haste. PLUS, Android (especially stock Android) outclasses iOS like nobody's business.

stock android outclasses iOS? my friend's galaxy nexus isn't living up to his expectations at all:
1. He's constantly installing beta ROM from developers just to find a build with less lag and better battery life
2. camera app applies some strange vibrant effect to the photos taken on the phone

...and other small things which i wont get into

Verdict? Stock android is certainly better than those hideously skinned androids, but stock android is always coupled with subpar nexus hardware, which, at the end of the day, ruins it.

urkel
Oct 8, 2012, 10:27 PM
IOS isn't falling behind, but considering their truly "revolutionary" start then they aren't as far ahead as they could be.

JS82712
Oct 8, 2012, 10:31 PM

----------

sorry, that phone overheats and shuts down from playing 2 hours of fruit ninja, asphalt and doodle jump, just horrible.

I bet you love your 'hyperglazed' (lol) plastic back that literally feels like c*m ?

----------

I've heard that a lot and I've actually found the opposite to be true with the people I know. Most of my tech savvy friends have iPhones while the people who have android don't know that much about them. I only know one person who has loaded a custom rom on their android. I have found the larger screen is the main reason why most people I know got android. Most of them don't know anything about updates or jelly bean or ice cream sandwich. I'm not saying that iphone owners are not the same because i know a lot of iphone owners that know very little about their phone as well. I think on the whole only a small percentage of people who own smartphones are really all that tech savvy. This is just my opinion so I'm not stating anything as fact but this is just what I've found.

I have 3 friends with android phones, I asked them if they had ICS on there, all 3 of them looked at me as if i'm speaking some alien language to them.

Bahroo
Oct 8, 2012, 10:38 PM
You ever think you got a defective phone?

My s3 has never crashed one me. Not even once. Whether it be apps, msgs, web browser. My s2 on the other hand crashed frequently.

My ipad1 on the other hand, crashes all the damn time.

No I completly wiped my S3 and did a fresh everything, it doesnt crash on text websites like this or Cnn.com but sometimes when im watching flash videos or trying to copy and paste, or opening a new tab it will crash...and weird, my ipad 1 doesnt crash, granted I dont use it much but so far its been stable on iOS 5.1.1...

Russiaone
Oct 8, 2012, 11:51 PM
stock android outclasses iOS? my friend's galaxy nexus isn't living up to his expectations at all:
1. He's constantly installing beta ROM from developers just to find a build with less lag and better battery life
2. camera app applies some strange vibrant effect to the photos taken on the phone

...and other small things which i wont get into

Verdict? Stock android is certainly better than those hideously skinned androids, but stock android is always coupled with subpar nexus hardware, which, at the end of the day, ruins it.

Not on Nexus 7. Everything about the tablet is fantastic (with the exception of the lacking app market place and iffy first-run build quality). It being my first Android device I'm simply floored by the customization options and general zippiness of Jellybean.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the simplicity of iOS (it's served me well for years). But actually sitting down and experiencing the joys of Android has made me consider buying something other than Apple for the first time in a bit, when it comes to tablets and phones.

AFDoc
Oct 9, 2012, 02:52 AM
Am I now?

Oh snap!

@swy05

daveathall
Oct 9, 2012, 03:17 AM
I dont think Apple has fallen behind at all, I also don't think that they are ahead either. What they do do, is produce a superb phone that its customers like and expect. They have a formula that works, people buy their phones in millions. Their phones are reliable, simple to learn and use and integrate seamlessly with other Apple products. I use many Apple products, ATM an iPhone isn't among that list, thats not to say it's behind, it isn't, but at this moment in time I am enjoying something different.

milk242
Oct 9, 2012, 03:18 AM
WP8 ftw

skidbubble
Oct 9, 2012, 04:05 AM
Apple is playing catch-up. They are just now, finally, getting features that other competing phones have had for years already. Example? 4G. The iPhone finally has it. Other devices have already had it for 2+ years. Without a doubt, when other devices move on and advance to 5G, Apple will lag behind 2-3 years or more.

Oletros
Oct 9, 2012, 06:43 AM

Wrong

VFC
Oct 9, 2012, 06:55 AM
Check out the 2012 T3 Award results. Apple usually dominates them; not this year.

http://awards.t3.com/

dmelgar
Oct 9, 2012, 07:06 AM
Apple is playing catch-up. They are just now, finally, getting features that other competing phones have had for years already. Example? 4G. The iPhone finally has it. Other devices have already had it for 2+ years. Without a doubt, when other devices move on and advance to 5G, Apple will lag behind 2-3 years or more.

HTC thunderbolt was the first phone in the US with LTE. It came out 1 1/2 years ago, not 2 years. It is a horrible phone. A huge brick with abysmal battery life full of bugs. I can see why apple waited.

----------

Wrong

Love all the informative detail you provided in your rebuttal. I develop apps for both platforms and can describe the differences. It's not subtle.

----------

wp8 ftw

lol

Oletros
Oct 9, 2012, 08:41 AM
Love all the informative detail you provided in your rebuttal. I develop apps for both platforms and can describe the differences. It's not subtle.

Please, explain those not subtle differences.

And then, can you explain me how you can do exactly the same type of background task in Adnroid like there is in iOS?

Ah, and EVERY background task hurts battery

onthecouchagain
Oct 9, 2012, 08:47 AM
Both OS-es are getting better and better for their respective dedicated user base.

If, however, you want to measure feature for feature, Android probably has more.

msandersen
Oct 9, 2012, 10:02 AM
But it extends beyond that, now the new iPhone lightning cable even has a microchip in it which makes it very difficult to copy the cable or make unauthorized accessories, this is really disappointing.There is no copy-protection chip in Lightning cables as some sites erroneously reported. It has by necessity a controller chip and the 30-pin converter has a DAC chip as well. Lightning is reversible, and the cable has to be able to detect which way it has been inserted to adapt the signals and which pin carries power. Without it, you'd soon fry your devices.

phpmaven
Oct 9, 2012, 11:02 AM
I know this already. I just wish it was more open anyway, I want control and openness.

Apple could do it, OS X isn't breaking down is it? And yet I can run Photoshop in the background, install extensions in to my browser. It can be done properly if they'd just try. The way they have it now is all about lock ins they want to supply everything. The apps, the experience. The fact that when the iPhone launched and we couldn't even install applications is very telling of their attitude. But it extends beyond that, now the new iPhone lightning cable even has a microchip in it which makes it very difficult to copy the cable or make unauthorized accessories, this is really disappointing.

I like Apples stuff I love their designs both Hardware and Software but they need to loosen up and let other companies add value to their ecosystem in ways that Apple haven't imagined possible yet. At the moment everyone is having to play in Apples tightly controlled sand pit and that is going to hurt them in the long run as Android continues to dominate in market share and grow every year in features and ease of use.

I don't agree that it's going to "hurt them in the long run". The reason why the iPhone has been so successful is that it "just works". The vast majority of customers want something that works simply and reliably. They don't care about this "openness" issue or even know what that means.

auero
Oct 9, 2012, 12:54 PM
way ahead

android is way too laggy

... What? I don't know what you're talking about. Jellybean is super fast. I didn't experience any lag what so ever.

Quu
Oct 9, 2012, 01:01 PM
There is no copy-protection chip in Lightning cables as some sites erroneously reported. It has by necessity a controller chip and the 30-pin converter has a DAC chip as well. Lightning is reversible, and the cable has to be able to detect which way it has been inserted to adapt the signals and which pin carries power. Without it, you'd soon fry your devices.

Apparently not as Mac rumors just posted a news piece saying the authentication chip has been cracked. The wording of it being an authentication chip would indicate it does more than just switching signal inputs. And really that could be done on the device side.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/09/apples-lightning-authentication-reportedly-cracked-unauthorized-third-party-cables-coming/

I don't agree that it's going to "hurt them in the long run". The reason why the iPhone has been so successful is that it "just works". The vast majority of customers want something that works simply and reliably. They don't care about this "openness" issue or even know what that means.

It is already hurting them as Android is about to eclipse the iPhone in applications and far outsells the iPhone. The Samsung Galaxy S3 alone (the top of the line Android device) sold 20 million units in three months and will probably sell 40 Million before the S4 debuts.

We can no longer just say androids market share is booming because of all the cheap phones, the S3 is anything but cheap and is selling very well in a world where the iPhone exists.

Apple could do proper multitasking and themes/skins/icon packs and home screen widgets but they are spread too thin in my opinion and iOS 6 shows that having very little in the way of big new features. And Maps .. well we all know how poor that is compared to Googles Maps. That alone has made people consider getting an Android device instead of an iPhone and you must know that.

dmelgar
Oct 9, 2012, 06:00 PM
Please, explain those not subtle differences.

And then, can you explain me how you can do exactly the same type of background task in Adnroid like there is in iOS?

Ah, and EVERY background task hurts battery

If you really want to know the differences between iOS and Android background tasks (I somehow doubt it), you could read the docs in the Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/guide/components/processes-and-threads.html) and iOS SDK (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammingguide/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html). A simple google search would reveal lots of copies of the info such as this (http://www.macworld.com/article/1164616/how_ios_multitasking_really_works.html) one.

The brief answer is that iOS rules apps with an iron fist while Android asks apps to behave nicely.

iOS app don't run on their own. The operating system calls the app and asks it to handle something, could be incoming data or a touch or gesture. iOS gives the app a few seconds to handle the event. If it doesn't complete it in time, iOS kills the app. Thats when you see an iOS device go back to the home screen.

iOS generally does NOT allow background tasks. Detractors will say iOS doesn't have true multitasking. It doesn't have unmonitored multitasking on purpose. iOS has special purpose APIs to support VOIP, streaming music (Pandora) apps and location tracking (navigation) apps. Even these apps get notified by iOS when data is available, they're supposed to process the data and be done. Or else.

The only provision for general background processing is that an app can 'request' to continue running after a user switches away from it. And even then, iOS still calls the app and expects a response within a certain amount of time. The app has to request additional time. Once 10 minutes is reached, iOS will no longer grant the request and will kill the app if it doesnt stop.

Apple did not take the easy way out with this API. This is the hard approach. They did it so that iOS maintains control of the system and knows for certain what apps are doing. This is the key to power management and also memory and CPU.

Android takes a more traditional approach similar to Linux, Mac OS, Windows. Apps can run and do as they please. Android has a process lifecycle and rules about when an app is "supposed" to terminate. But Android does not enforce this rule because the app can run independent of operating system calls. Android assumes apps are trying to be well behaved. It notifies apps of the various life cycle stages. Apps are supposed to quit when they receive some notifications. But if they don't, they may continue to run or Android might kill them if it needs the memory elsewhere. The more memory a phone has (S3), the more likely misbehaved apps may continue running.

And what if an app misbehaves? Who is going to complain? Will Google yank them from Google Play? Not likely. There is no app review. Will users complain? How can they tell why their phone's battery is dying. Must be the phone. Need to get a task killer and just start killing everything in case.

The lack of a moderator in Google Play means that apps don't get cleaned up. Its hard work to develop your app properly. Why bother if no one complains. Over time more apps misbehave with little consequence.

Another confusion for users in iOS is when they receive notifications from apps. They assume that means that app is running. However this is not true. The company making the app has a server which sends a message to Apple's notification server which sends a message to the phone. The phone displays the message. If a user selects it, THEN iOS starts the app to handle whatever the notification was.

At first I found the iOS system limiting. There are things it cannot do. However I've also lived with an Android phone for 3 years and have seen how often apps misbehave. I'm now a believer in the strict controls Apple has placed on background apps. The battery life is amazing given how small the phone is and how small the battery is. Skype on my brick Thunderbolt would kill the battery in a few hours. Skype on iOS isn't running in the background. It takes ZERO battery power unless I have the app running in the foreground, ie I'm using it.

Oletros
Oct 9, 2012, 06:18 PM
If you really want to know the differences between iOS and Android background tasks (I somehow doubt it), you could read the docs in the Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/guide/components/processes-and-threads.html) and iOS SDK (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammingguide/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html). A simple google search would reveal lots of copies of the info such as this (http://www.macworld.com/article/1164616/how_ios_multitasking_really_works.html) one.

The brief answer is that iOS rules apps with an iron fist while Android asks apps to behave nicely.

Thanks for proving my point.

You completely ignored the fact that in Android you can have lightweight background processes, triggering the execution via AlarmManager, Google Cloud Messaging, etc.

Your claim was that background tasks are what makes Android battery time crap and this is wrong, bad developed background tasks make battery drain. Android has all tools to make them nice. Bad or lazy developers are the ones to blame, not Android.

dmelgar
Oct 9, 2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for proving my point.LOL.
Of course that was your point, so well articulated as "wrong". Apparently still don't understand the fundamental API differences. Moving on.

BoxerGT2.5
Oct 9, 2012, 10:21 PM
I think it's pretty clear Apple is now playing catch up.

Oletros
Oct 10, 2012, 12:34 AM
LOL.
Of course that was your point, so well articulated as "wrong". Apparently still don't understand the fundamental API differences. Moving on.

I know perfectly the differences, the one that doesn't understand that with the API's exposed and the framework that Android provides a developer can make an app that behaves exactly like in iOS.

The problem with battery drain is not in the OS, it is the developer's fault

Gatecrasher1875
Oct 10, 2012, 01:40 AM
I didn't realise how much rubbish was posted on here until I tried android for myself. I like both ios and android and still use them both but some people need to get real and accept that android is every bit as good as ios. All this rubbish about lack of apps, and crashing and lag is nonsense.

Apollo 13
Oct 10, 2012, 03:07 AM
As someone that's not bias and use both systems everyday. I like to get something straight because to much crap is going around. Jelly Bean makes the phone ui smooth and that's it. Certain apps are still laggy and jelly bean can't fix that.

roxxette
Oct 10, 2012, 03:27 AM
sorry, that phone overheats and shuts down from playing 2 hours of fruit ninja, asphalt and doodle jump, just horrible.

I bet you love your 'hyperglazed' (lol) plastic back that literally feels like c*m ?

----------

I have 3 friends with android phones, I asked them if they had ICS on there, all 3 of them looked at me as if i'm speaking some alien language to them.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/10/a5ybuzyn.jpg

roxxette
Oct 10, 2012, 03:31 AM
I didn't realise how much rubbish was posted on here until I tried android for myself. I like both ios and android and still use them both but some people need to get real and accept that android is every bit as good as ios. All this rubbish about lack of apps, and crashing and lag is nonsense.

Exactly, ive used a god damm htc hd2 wich is a ****ing old phone, flashed with the most current android rom for that device and that thing was working it with no problem and zero lag, i downloaded some games and they played the same or better because of the big screen than on my iphone lol

People also rave about the screen on the iphone but seriously who runs that screen at 100% brightness ? I keep it at 40% or less and theres no much to rave....

flameproof
Oct 10, 2012, 03:40 AM
Exactly, ive used a god damm htc hd2 wich is a ****ing old phone

it's ...... old, but refused to die. I just flashed my old HD2 to WP7.8 - and it works perfectly.

My opinion about the iPhone 5 - nothing special. Just another upmarket phone. As an iPhone 4 user I have zero temptation to move to iPhone 5. For me they are the same phones. The little bigger screen I don't care about.

onthecouchagain
Oct 10, 2012, 07:10 AM

Well done.

It's pure obscurantism. I think certain devoted iOS users have a hard time dealing with the idea that another platform can be better than iOS. And so they cling onto the Android of yesteryear, overblowing any issues and pretending certain problems problems still exist.

Is it possible to get a poor Android device today? Sure -- that's just the nature of the beast, the nature of proliferating the market with low-to-high-end Android devices, the nature of choice. But as people gradually become more tech-interested and tech-savvy and do their research, they can find Android devices that are amazing and better experiences.

daveathall
Oct 10, 2012, 09:00 AM

I very nearly never got my S3 simply by reading some of the things written on this forum by members who, IMHO can never have had or used an up to date Android device. I must be very lucky or have a one in a million phone because I have not experienced lag, unresponsive screen, fragmentation, poor apps, lack of apps, difficult one handed operation, poor build quality, bad battery life, trojan horses, spyware etc etc etc, which I find strange, because if we are talking luck, I'm that lucky that if I was in a marching band I would carry a piano.

I think it is a shame because both platforms are now superb in execution, some members need to lay aside their blind bias.

dmelgar
Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 AM
The problem with battery drain is not in the OS, it is the developer's fault
Of course its possible to write apps that don't kill the battery.

The point you're either missing or purposely ignoring is that iOS's API makes it extremely difficult to write a bad 'background' app whereas Android doesn't.

----------

I think it is a shame because both platforms are now superb in execution, some members need to lay aside their blind bias.
Blind bias yes is a shame, but stay informed. Its bad to simply gloss over differences and say they're all the same or all good. That may help end the arguing, but it doesn't educate regarding real differences.

daveathall
Oct 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
Blind bias yes is a shame, but stay informed. Its bad to simply gloss over differences and say they're all the same or all good. That may help end the arguing, but it doesn't educate regarding real differences.

Of course. But blind bias often distorts the differences which doesn't educate, in fact it does quite the opposite. some of the posts in this thread IMHO, are bias driven and the distortion of truth is far from educational.

Oletros
Oct 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
Of course its possible to write apps that don't kill the battery.

The point you're either missing or purposely ignoring is that iOS's API makes it extremely difficult to write a bad 'background' app whereas Android doesn't.

No, I'm not ignoring nothing. Your original claim was that iOS API is a more difficult one and this is false, the public API exposed is a subset of the public API exposed by Android so it is not more difficult.

And Android is not the one to be blamed as you claimed, the ones to blame are developers.

robotphood
Oct 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
Exactly, ive used a god damm htc hd2 wich is a ****ing old phone, flashed with the most current android rom for that device and that thing was working it with no problem and zero lag, i downloaded some games and they played the same or better because of the big screen than on my iphone lol

People also rave about the screen on the iphone but seriously who runs that screen at 100% brightness ? I keep it at 40% or less and theres no much to rave....

Previous HD2 owner here too. My fav phone of all time. So much to tweak and play with. Plus winmo has a special place in my heart (although I don't miss it one bit). But you honestly can't see the difference between the iPhone screen vs an HD2?? Also I'm at 80-100% brightness depending where I am. 40% is a tad low? Why not run it bright and visible?