Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
California
Is this a new iOs 6 feature? Vibrate switch is on and I have headphones in but the notification sounds don't go through like they used to on my iPhone 4S running iOS 5 ?

Jdem2

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
NJ and PA
Is this a new iOs 6 feature? Vibrate switch is on and I have headphones in but the notification sounds don't go through like they used to on my iPhone 4S running iOS 5 ?

I don't think this is isolated to when headphones are plugged in. I very rarely get audible notifications for txts since iOS 6...on either the 4s or the 5.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
California
I used to get all sorts of notification sounds over headphones with the vibrate switch on. Now I don't! It's frustrating to need to check the phone manually for notifications when it could alert me via a sound through to my headphones.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Ive nticed things too.
Ok, so iOS 6 has been great......for me.
But I have noticed a couple times,
When I'm texting back and forth sometimes I don't get an alert.
Example: Normally when texting, if the person you're texting to responds while window is open,
You get that "Zoom" sound, I get that.
But if you leave that window or lock screen, your selected tone should sound.
I've noticed sometimes I get nothing, I turn screen on to find they responded and I didn't know. This I've only notice sense iOS 6?

Anyone else notice this.

Anyway, just curious about others. Other than this I haven't noticed any issues to speak of.
Also, where do I complain to Apple. As in, is there a report a problem area beside the Genius guys

NedFlanders

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
Personally I don't see this as a problem. I prefer not to have my music interrupted by notifications. I actually see this as an upgrade to the way it was before.

Having said that I think they should allow the user to choose if they want notifications over the music when the vibrate only switch is toggled on.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
California
I'm getting zero notification sounds through the headphones with the mute switch on even though it's always done so before. So wack iOS6

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I'm getting zero notification sounds through the headphones with the mute switch on even though it's always done so before. So wack iOS6

by "mute switch on" do you mean "vibrate only" (orange mark visible in switch) or "make sound" (orange mark not visible)

to me, "mute switch on" means you have the device muted and in vibrate only mode, and it won't make noise, either through the speaker or headphones.
which is how it's always been, because i have a bad habit of playing with the switch and leaving it off, and not hearing things when they come in.

if the mute switch is off, (make noise mode or orange mark not visible) it will make alert noises in the headphones.

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
When I'm using the phone and get a text notification, naturally you swipe down to view the text in notification centre. In iOS 6 when I swipe down it takes at least 10secs for the text to appear in notification centre. Never had this previous iOS's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.