Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Hi guys,

So i brought my 2011 13" MBA in to the Apple Store for the buzzing issue when playing audio at 75%-100% volume. This is coming from the right side of the keyboard, particularly the "return" key. If i lay my palm on it, the buzz is gone.

Apple offered to replace both speakers. However, I'd like to know if anyone brought it into Apple for the same issue to have the speakers replaced, and if that fixed the problem.

I suspect it may not be malfunctioning speakers, as the buzz seems to be the soundwave hitting the keys. I don't see how a malfunctioning speaker would produce a buzz that vibrates around the keys. I don't want to bring it to Apple to replace the speakers if it's not the speakers itself that's causing this issue.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think you're gut instinct is right...It sounds more like a bad ground...That's what usually causes that kind of noise...I'd point that out and ask for a replacement..Make an external backup before you go though.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
How would i explain that to a Genius in a way that's convincing enough that he'll let me replace the entire MBA? To him, it may sound like a minor problem that would not affect the performance of the MBA (at least if i were the Genius this problem wouldn't be persuading enough to give the customer a brand new MBA). But to me, it's really annoying as i like to turn up the volume on my MBA so i can hear more clearly and concisely...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Be polite, but firm. Explain that you have researched the issue, and that you do not feel happy that changing the speakers...which to be honest I've never heard of Apple doing, isn't going to address the problem, and that you'd rather not have to make two trips to get the problem resolved.

Most genius bars use common sense in this type if situation and should welcome your feedback.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I had.. or I guess I should still have.. this exact problem. I let them replace my right speaker thinking that was it, but it came back with the same buzzing sound. Meanwhile I had read about the keyboard rattling problem so I tried holding the keys and the buzzing went away when I did so.

So no, switching the speaker did nothing. However I think it has started to rattle less on its own. I don't react to it anymore at least. The buzzing used to give me shivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.