PDA

View Full Version : Do the iMac G3's have fans inside?

LOLZpersonok
Oct 9, 2012, 12:59 AM
I just got mine. (And I'm using it to type out this post)

Now, this thing runs quite warm. In the little vents around the handle on the top of the machine, I can feel it getting quite warm. Does the original iMac have a fan? By the way, this iMac is a 350MHz Slot-load from 2000.

Intell
Oct 9, 2012, 01:07 PM
Only the tray loading G3 iMacs have fans. Your iMac is a slot loading G3. It does not. They do get warm, almost hot. This is normal. For better airflow, elevate the front with the iMac's stand.

MultiFinder17
Oct 9, 2012, 06:17 PM
As mentioned, the slot-loading iMac G3s do not have a fan - they cool themselves using convection. The vent should be noticeably warm when in use, as that is where all of the heat exits the machine. CRTs get hot, so it's normal.

LOLZpersonok
Oct 9, 2012, 06:43 PM
Only the tray loading G3 iMacs have fans. Your iMac is a slot loading G3. It does not. They do get warm, almost hot. This is normal. For better airflow, elevate the front with the iMac's stand.

Oh, okay, so what would happen if I installed a fan in it?

----------

As mentioned, the slot-loading iMac G3s do not have a fan - they cool themselves using convection. The vent should be noticeably warm when in use, as that is where all of the heat exits the machine. CRTs get hot, so it's normal.

So, the cooler air is dragged into the machine through the bottom? I already have it sitting elevated, so there's a start.

Intell
Oct 9, 2012, 07:00 PM
I put a fan in one of mine because it would overheat and freeze. It just move more hot air around the case and out the top. But unless your iMac is freezing from heat, you shouldn't install a fan or open the CRT half of it.

4JNA
Oct 9, 2012, 08:45 PM
i had good luck with a large fan mounted on the outside (laying on top) of the handle pulling the hot air out. with a speed controller, it was not noticeably louder than stock, but much cooler.

ugly as hell... but effective and cheap FTW!

orestes1984
Oct 9, 2012, 10:03 PM
You can try placing it on a laptop cooling pad.

LOLZpersonok
Oct 9, 2012, 11:17 PM
It's not overheating or having any other problems because of the heat, I was just wondering if I could just make it run a little cooler, that's all. But thanks all for the answers.