PDA

View Full Version : Cant seem to create a bootable DVD HELP

jdaniel
Oct 9, 2012, 07:33 AM
Hi guys
I am already running 10.8.2 but I want to do a clean install.

I dont have a 8GB USB drive so my only option is DVD...

1. DVD R or DVD RW? Any diff? I have both.. 4.7GB

2. When I try to use disk utility to burn the InstallESD.dmg file it says there is not enough space on disk for some strange reason..only way I can do it is to use finder.. load the disk, drop and drag and click the burn icon on the left. That seems to get the file on... BUT I have tried click C on reboot.. does nothing... clicking option reboot only shows me my HD icon and no DVD option.

I must be doing something how do I make this DVD bootable?

HGMIV18
Oct 9, 2012, 11:14 AM
Why are you trying to create a DVD? Just boot in to recovery, erase the disk in Disk Utility, and reinstall.

Weaselboy
Oct 9, 2012, 12:44 PM
You need a 4.7GB DVD-R. Try using this free app (http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/) to make the DVD for you.

jdaniel
Oct 10, 2012, 03:15 AM
that thing doesnt like 4.7GB disks or something....anyways...

the normal internet restore process does not work for me coz they require apple IDs to download the OS.

So after a long drawn out process I basically wiped it put snow leopard on it then upgraded it... as clean as I can get for now. I notice the Option reboot thing will recognize my SL original disks but NOT the mountain lion ones I made so theres an issue some place...I have DVD RW and DVD+R I dont have DVD-R that could be an issue.

but anyways it is done for now.. till 6 months or a year down the road when I need to re-do this again.

desertman
Oct 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
I dont have a 8GB USB drive so my only option is DVD.
... just bought one at Walmart for $5. This might be the easiest way to go if you have problems with burning a DVD.

Edie Brickell
Oct 15, 2012, 02:14 AM
Buy a good quality 8GB DVD from ebay or amazon and burn the InstallESD.dmg file, it will create a bootable DVD.