PDA

View Full Version : Syncing a mac with a Galaxy S3

WRXHokie
Oct 9, 2012, 07:35 AM
So painful.... I mean terribly painful....

Android file transfer doesn't work, doubletwist doesn't work... you have to use Kies (which blows by the way). Half the time Kies won't recognize my phone, and when I sync it puts movies I want on my SDcard into the camera folder on the sd card instead of the movies folder. Ugh! I can't wait until AFT or doubletwist are updated to work.

b24pgg
Oct 9, 2012, 07:48 AM
doubletwist doesn't work
They're working on fixing this: http://support.doubletwist.com/doubletwist/topics/mac_wont_open_doubletwist

MacRumorUser
Oct 9, 2012, 07:57 AM

Android file transfer doesn't work, doubletwist doesn't work... you have to use Kies (which blows by the way). Half the time Kies won't recognize my phone, and when I sync it puts movies I want on my SDcard into the camera folder on the sd card instead of the movies folder. Ugh! I can't wait until AFT or doubletwist are updated to work.

Be grateful, as sucky as Kies is..... at least Samsung have bothered.

HTC have yet to release HTC Sync Manager for the Mac, and have indeed dropped most mention of it from their website. The HTC One X has only been out 6 months and still no mac software to support it from them.

This is another example of a type of android fragmentation. What we need is Google to take control and release a universal piece of software for syncing android devices to a mac & iTunes libraries.

It's almost as if most Android manufacturers work on the assumption that the mac doesn't matter as most will be using an iPhone.

paulsalter
Oct 9, 2012, 08:05 AM
It's a shame Apple cant be bothered to write Android versions of their apps so people can have a choice and easily use Apple ecosystem

but using the right software, syncing is easy

MacRumorUser
Oct 9, 2012, 09:31 AM
It's a shame Apple cant be bothered to write Android versions of their apps so people can have a choice and easily use Apple ecosystem

But it shouldn't be Apple's issue. Microsoft don't provide one themselves either for Android..
But the manufacturers of Android handsets all support Windows OS with their own syncing solutions, so why they can't be bothered to give Mac users the same is quite annoying.

Google themselves have the most to gain by providing decent Mac software (and Pc software) and as it is their own phone OS and it would help dispel the issues of fragmented user experience.

Microsoft DO provide a software solution for WINDOWS PHONE OS to sync them with your Mac, regardless of your devices manufacturer. This is all I want Google to do. Is it so much to ask for ?

alent1234
Oct 9, 2012, 09:43 AM

apple has had public API's for others to sync itunes with their devices for many years. i've sync'd my blackbery with itunes years ago. same with an HTC phone.

its up to the device manufacturer to use the API's to write the software like RIM and HTC have done

paulsalter
Oct 9, 2012, 09:43 AM
But it shouldn't be Apple's issue. Microsoft don't provide one themselves either for Android..
But the manufacturers of Android handsets all support Windows OS with their own syncing solutions, so why they can't be bothered to give Mac users the same is quite annoying.

Google themselves have the most to gain by providing decent Mac software (and Pc software) and as it is their own phone OS and it would help dispel the issues of fragmented user experience.

Microsoft DO provide a software solution for WINDOWS PHONE OS to sync them with your Mac, regardless of your devices manufacturer. This is all I want Google to do. Is it so much to ask for ?

dont know about windows side of things as dont use windows

Apple want you to use their eco system so have syncing with it
Google want you to use their eco system so provide syncing with it

Do iOS devices sync with windows media player?
Can iOS natively sync with Google media?
Can iOS natively sync my Amazon media?

You want Google to sync with other companies, how about Apple doing the same

I have no problem with Google doing this, I just dont see it as Google's issue

If I want Amazon data I use Amazon App
If I want Google data I use Google App
If I want Apple data I use.....A third party

paulsalter
Oct 9, 2012, 09:54 AM
apple has had public API's for others to sync itunes with their devices for many years. i've sync'd my blackbery with itunes years ago. same with an HTC phone.

its up to the device manufacturer to use the API's to write the software like RIM and HTC have done

And I sync my iTunes currently with my Android devices

As you say, you sync your HTC phone with iTunes, so whats the big fuss about getting google to write an app for it

MacRumorUser
Oct 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
dont know about windows side of things as dont use windows

Apple want you to use their eco system so have syncing with it

Do iOS devices sync with windows media player?

But iOS devices come with their software iTUNES which works on PC alongside MAC

Google want you to use their eco system so provide syncing with it

That's my point.. THEY DONT!! That's what I want them to do !!! I want google to provide a universal software solution that allows me to sync my data on my computer to their device and back.

That's the point. Why is there no 'official' software for Android that comes with my Android device. I don't care if it's locked to the Google eco-system, I just want a reliable means to do so without having to turn to a third party.

paulsalter
Oct 9, 2012, 10:08 AM
But iOS devices come with their software iTUNES which works on PC alongside MAC

So Apple are forcing people to move to iTunes to get syncing working

Easy on Android then, get people to use Google play for Music etc, no extra software needed

That's my point.. THEY DONT!! That's what I want them to do !!! I want google to provide a universal software solution that allows me to sync my data on my computer to their device and back.

That's the point. Why is there no 'official' software for Android that comes with my Android device.

The official software for Android is Google play, everything is there and synced to all your devices

Google use cloud services, not local apps, store your data in them and all works perfectly

If you want to use Android with third party products (iTunes) get a third party app or get Apple to write an app...EASY

MacRumorUser
Oct 9, 2012, 10:15 AM
So Apple are forcing people to move to iTunes to get syncing working

Easy on Android then, get people to use Google play for Music etc, no extra software needed

The official software for Android is Google play, everything is there and synced to all your devices

Google use cloud services, not local apps, store your data in them and all works perfectly

If you want to use Android with third party products (iTunes) get a third party app or get Apple to write an app...EASY

And even though you have to use iTUNES you just copy your existing library of music into it, and it syncs with your phone. Easy.

Why can't google provide a simple music / media managment application to do the same ?

As for google music, That would be fine if Google Music was outside of USA but isn't.

Your making excuses for them unnecessarily. I want to be able to sync my music to my phone, make playlists, download and upload files, back up my applications, especially the big games, and that is why I want a synching solution.

I'm not asking for it to sync to iTUNES. i'm asking for a solution that does access my music and data on my mac.

Microsoft with Windows Phones do it...
Even BlackBerry does it.
Why not google??

and don't say because it's cloud, because that's not appropriate until they offer full google services everywhere. At the moment they dont, or for syncing music and photos on your computer or accessing the downloaded content, or checking for updates to your handset etc..

Google are being lazy, it's easier to just let the phone manufactures to write software (or not in the case of HTC) even if it's poor. This hurts the Google Android experience.

paulsalter
Oct 9, 2012, 10:23 AM
And even though you have to use iTUNES you just copy your existing library of music into it, and it syncs with your phone. Easy.

Why can't google provide a simple music / media managment application to do the same ?

As for google music, That would be fine if Google Music was outside of USA but isn't.

Your making excuses for them unnecessarily. I want to be able to sync my music to my phone, make playlists, download and upload files, back up my applications, especially the big games, and that is why I want a synching solution.

I'm not asking for it to sync to iTUNES. i'm asking for a solution that does access my music and data on my mac.

Microsoft with Windows Phones do it...
Even BlackBerry does it.
Why not google??

and don't say because it's cloud, because that's not appropriate until they offer full google services everywhere. At the moment they dont, or for syncing music and photos on your computer or accessing the downloaded content, or checking for updates to your handset etc..

Google are being lazy, it's easier to just let the phone manufactures to write software (or not in the case of HTC) even if it's poor. This hurts the Google Android experience.

Agree on the services not available outside the US, this sucks

Good luck with getting the rest, while you battle for it I will enjoy using those features via a third party/google

WRXHokie
Oct 9, 2012, 12:16 PM
They're working on fixing this: http://support.doubletwist.com/doubletwist/topics/mac_wont_open_doubletwist

I wish google had android file transfer working for it... thats what i really want, but i'll take doubletwist.

theluggage
Oct 11, 2012, 07:43 AM

The Android File Transfer app doesn't work on the Note 2 either - nor does 'Camera Mode' (iPhoto recognises it but doesn't actually work).

The Kies application available from Samsung sort-of works for me, but it is a bit temperamental and buggy (the WiFi option won't work for me though).

If you install WinAmp on both Android and OS X then it will sync selected playlists from your iTunes music to your phone via WiFi - not wonderful though - rather slow, doesn't let you sync to the 'external' SD card, and syncs the music files but doesn't create playlists. The Android part of WinAmp looks like a better music player than the standard one, though.

Best solution so far seems to be to get a MicroSD card for the phone, initialise it in the phone to create the directories, then extract it, plug it into the Mac using a USB card reader (or a microSD-to-SD adapter if your Mac has an SD slot) and it will show up as a drive: 'just' drag-and-drop your music files into the 'media' folder - but that's no substitute for proper sync.

I've got my own kludgey command-line script that, once you can write files to the SD card, will do a 'proper' sync of some or all of my iTunes library - it reads the 'xml' version of the iTunes library, finds the music files, creates an 'image' of what needs to be on the device (using symbolic links), creates .m3u playlist files then uses 'rsync' to update the SD card efficiently. One of these days maybe I'll re-write it into something that other people might be able to use... I think I could also make it work wirelessly if a phone has a SSH server and the rsync binary installed.

Wrathwitch
Oct 13, 2012, 07:36 AM
Very easy and painless solution is iSyncr. I use isyncr wifi and it syncs all media that is not drm protected. Wirelessly, quickly and easily. Customer support is very swift and good.

WRXHokie
Oct 13, 2012, 10:32 AM
Very easy and painless solution is iSyncr. I use isyncr wifi and it syncs all media that is not drm protected. Wirelessly, quickly and easily. Customer support is very swift and good.

Yeah, that would be a last resort just because no matter what you use, syncing movies over wifi is painfully slow.

towg
Oct 14, 2012, 03:37 AM
I gave up on syncing my music via mac so just signed up for the US version of Google Music and it took four days to upload around 15000 songs.

Still at least I know its available all the time and I can download certain playlists if I need them offline. Much better than endlessly faffing around with Kies, Easy Phone Sync, iSyncer and the like.

Evoken
Oct 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
I gave up on syncing my music via mac so just signed up for the US version of Google Music and it took four days to upload around 15000 songs.

Still at least I know its available all the time and I can download certain playlists if I need them offline. Much better than endlessly faffing around with Kies, Easy Phone Sync, iSyncer and the like.

Indeed, this is what I did too, synced my iTunes library with Google Music and now I keep my music in iTunes in sync and access it with my S3 or from any computer by logging in with my Google account, can access them on my PS3 too and I will also have them available instantly when I get my Android tablet next month. It is really the best way to manage your music if you have an Android device imo.

atticus27
Oct 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
kies is pretty good for syncing media files, so is isyncr. I like using google's play music app for when I forget to sync my phone (it uses a good amount of data though if you aren't on an unlimited plan).
getting a micro sd to sd card adapter is good too, but I agree with everyone else it's kind of a pain to sync. Google needs to make a cross platform app similar to kies for easy syncing.
That's the one thing the iphone does better for me.

GoCubsGo
Oct 14, 2012, 09:06 AM
Look up Missing Sync. Any non-Apple device I've ever had was so much better when paired with this app.

Evoken
Oct 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
I like using google's play music app for when I forget to sync my phone (it uses a good amount of data though if you aren't on an unlimited plan).

You can set it up in the preferences to only stream music when you are on Wifi. You can also download the songs you listen to the most to your phone so that it doesn't needs to stream them.

MacRumorUser
Oct 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
Indeed, this is what I did too, synced my iTunes library with Google Music and now I keep my music in iTunes in sync and access it with my S3 or from any computer by logging in with my Google account, can access them on my PS3 too and I will also have them available instantly when I get my Android tablet next month. It is really the best way to manage your music if you have an Android device imo.

and are in the states.... Sadly a lot of us will never get to experience this synchronicity.

Evoken
Oct 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
and are in the states.... Sadly a lot of us will never get to experience this synchronicity.

There are ways to make it work outside the US. I use it and am not in the states ;)

MacRumorUser
Oct 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
There are ways to make it work outside the US. I use it and am not in the states ;)

Yeah but I cant be bothered paying for a VPN or proxy DNS :o

Evoken
Oct 14, 2012, 10:56 AM

No need to, Tunnel Bear (http://www.tunnelbear.com/) is your friend. :)

You only need to use it for the initial sign up on Google Play Music. After that, you can turn it off and continue to use it without problem.

MacRumorUser
Oct 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
No need to, Tunnel Bear (http://www.tunnelbear.com/) is your friend. :)

You only need to use it for the initial sign up on Google Play Music. After that, you can turn it off and continue to use it without problem.

Cool thanks I'll go look at that now :-)

3bs
Oct 14, 2012, 11:07 AM

I'm going to try the way in the 2nd post of this thread when I get back home. I hope this works http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1467495

----------

Look up Missing Sync. Any non-Apple device I've ever had was so much better when paired with this app.

I might give this a try too.

MacRumorUser
Oct 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
I'm going to try the way in the 2nd post of this thread when I get back home. I hope this works http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1467495

----------

I might give this a try too.

Cheers 3bs.. :-)

Does anyone know if like iTunes match Google Music can match a lot of the songs in your library or does it require you to upload them all ?

I have 21,307 tracks = 135.6GB in my music library, and before I go signing up to another music service I'd be concerned I'd have to upload all that data, especially given our crap broadband speeds in Ireland.

Evoken
Oct 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know if like iTunes match Google Music can match a lot of the songs in your library or does it require you to upload them all ?

Sadly at this time Google Play doesn't has a feature like iTunes match, so you have to upload all your music. It is indeed time consuming but once you upload the initial bulk, it is far easier to keep things in sync. Bear in mind that it only allows 20,000 songs. You also don't have to upload everything, you can choose specific playlists.

paulsalter
Oct 14, 2012, 11:47 AM
Cheers 3bs.. :-)

I have 21,307 tracks = 135.6GB in my music library, and before I go signing up to another music service I'd be concerned I'd have to upload all that data, especially given our crap broadband speeds in Ireland.

I am currently looking at putting music online and checking out Google/Amazon

If you are interested in Amazon's offering they do a match service with their uploader, it does cost, but for $25/year you can store 250,000 songs (free for upto 250 songs, I am testing it out with this at the moment)

I had a look and think this is available in Ireland

MacRumorUser
Oct 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
I am currently looking at putting music online and checking out Google/Amazon

If you are interested in Amazon's offering they do a match service with their uploader, it does cost, but for $25/year you can store 250,000 songs (free for upto 250 songs, I am testing it out with this at the moment)

I had a look and think this is available in Ireland

Cheers for the info will check it out :-)

----------

Sadly at this time Google Play doesn't has a feature like iTunes match, so you have to upload all your music. It is indeed time consuming but once you upload the initial bulk, it is far easier to keep things in sync. Bear in mind that it only allows 20,000 songs. You also don't have to upload everything, you can choose specific playlists.

Just the thought of uploading 20,000 songs is off putting. Don't see the point in just uploading selected playlist, I either want it all backed up on cloud, or not at all.

towg
Oct 14, 2012, 03:08 PM

I agree. Plus you dont have matching problems like you do with itunes Match (he he ironic or what) because all your songs are uploaded.

----------

I'm in the UK and used Tunnelbear. Its a very useful and easy to use app and I used it to sign up for the free months trial of US Netflix too.

SlCKB0Y
Oct 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
I want google to provide a universal software solution that allows me to sync my data on my computer to their device and back.

Why on earth are you people trying to sync your phone with your Mac?

You should be syncing your Mac to Google's web services and syncing your phone to Google's web services, then everything works perfectly.

You're still stuck in the iTunes way of thinking which is last decades solution and your Android device was never intended to work this way.

MacRumorUser
Oct 14, 2012, 03:35 PM

You should be syncing your Mac to Google's web services and syncing your phone to Google's web services, then everything works perfectly.

You're still stuck in the iTunes way of thinking which is last decades solution and your Android device was never intended to work this way.

There are some things Googles web services don't cover.

The ability to manage my applications and store them on my computer so I don't have to redownload them should I wish to move them on or off my device. Some games like Horn are 1.6GB Its utterly impractical to ask people to have to re download big files like that.

Whilst we're looking at work arounds for google music to work outside US for many those work arounds are still impractical due to bandwidth and broadband speeds., its still easier to sync them directly with the computer rather than waste my data cap (especially mobile data caps)

What about my photos and movies, I can't access my movie or TV content on googles cloud either or to sync my photos back and forth. Neither do google provide TV or Movies content here, or synchronise with the digital copies that came with my BD's.

Cloud may be the way to go in the future, but google doesn't provide full solution on its cloud for everything we store on our phones, or for all territories.

So to dismiss a simple software solution where all our content resides currently for a half baked cloud service that only covers half the content and not in all territories is not a viable solution.

Evoken
Oct 14, 2012, 04:29 PM
Just the thought of uploading 20,000 songs is off putting.

Just leave your computer uploading the songs in the background. Leave it on when you go to work so that it continues to upload, it will take a few days given the size of your library but when it is done, everything will be much better and easier.

MacRumorUser
Oct 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
Just leave your computer uploading the songs in the background. Leave it on when you go to work so that it continues to upload, it will take a few days given the size of your library but when it is done, everything will be much better and easier.

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a try. Nothing to lose. :)

wikus
Oct 14, 2012, 05:06 PM
This thread is full of misleading information. Not being forced to use something like iTunes is what makes Android superior. I can hook up my phone to any computer or device and all my files are readily available. No need for iTunes locking *MY OWN FILES*

I use folders for all of my stuff, I've never bothered with sync, I just don't see the greatness in it when theres no complete control over what gets synced and how much of it.

Don't get me wrong, iTunes is nice, but Apple needs to get its head out of its a$$ and allow users to take full control over whats rightfully theirs.

Evoken
Oct 14, 2012, 05:47 PM

Yes, this is very much what I realised coming from an iPhone. Syncing everything with Google, moving to a Google ecosystem, is the way to go if you have an Android device. Everything works great this way. I was already syncing most things (mail, contacts, calendars, tasks, browser bookmarks/history and RSS feeds) with Google before moving to Android so the transition was rather smooth and now I also added music/podcasts with Google Play Music and photos syncing via Picasa and Google+ instant upload. It all works really great.

3bs
Oct 14, 2012, 06:50 PM
Just used browsertunnel to sign up and I somehow managed to install the Play Music app from my browser without using a proxy or anything. 17/1497 songs uploaded in the past couple of minutes :D

I changed my password before using browsertunnel because someone on engadget said they intercepted his password. Better safe than sorry.

Southernboyj
Oct 14, 2012, 10:01 PM

Use iSyncr... it's quite easy.

MacRumorUser
Oct 15, 2012, 02:06 AM
Yes, this is very much what I realised coming from an iPhone. Syncing everything with Google, moving to a Google ecosystem, is the way to go if you have an Android device. Everything works great this way. I was already syncing most things (mail, contacts, calendars, tasks, browser bookmarks/history and RSS feeds) with Google before moving to Android so the transition was rather smooth and now I also added music/podcasts with Google Play Music and photos syncing via Picasa and Google+ instant upload. It all works really great.

Well one could argue being forced to use all Google services for syncing is just as bad if not worse (due to the amount of info google now store on you) than syncing with Apples services & iTunes.

Everyone (in android discussion threads) comments they hate the way your forced to use Apples services for syncing with iPhone as an argument against iOS HD for Android, but its just exactly the same if not worse in the Android universe too..... Accept I still can't backup my Apps :( .

----------

Just used browsertunnel to sign up and I somehow managed to install the Play Music app from my browser without using a proxy or anything. 17/1497 songs uploaded in the past couple of minutes :D

I changed my password before using browsertunnel because someone on engadget said they intercepted his password. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the tip on password... What broadband provider / speed do you get in Dublin 3bs ?

Down here in culchieville, we get 9mb down during day (night-time gets a badly hit by contention issues was down to .5 the other night) and .7mb up

3bs
Oct 15, 2012, 04:55 AM
Well one could argue being forced to use all Google services for syncing is just as bad if not worse (due to the amount of info google now store on you) than syncing with Apples services & iTunes.

Everyone (in android discussion threads) comments they hate the way your forced to use Apples services for syncing with iPhone as an argument against iOS HD for Android, but its just exactly the same if not worse in the Android universe too..... Accept I still can't backup my Apps :( .

----------

Thanks for the tip on password... What broadband provider / speed do you get in Dublin 3bs ?

Down here in culchieville, we get 9mb down during day (nighttime gets a hotly hit by contention issues was down to .5 the other night) and .7mb up

I used to have 100mbps down and I think it was 8mbps up but now in my new apartment the best connection I could get is 30mbps down and 3mbps up but it's pretty consistent throughout the day.

WRXHokie
Oct 15, 2012, 08:47 AM
This thread is full of misleading information. Not being forced to use something like iTunes is what makes Android superior. I can hook up my phone to any computer or device and all my files are readily available. No need for iTunes locking *MY OWN FILES*

I use folders for all of my stuff, I've never bothered with sync, I just don't see the greatness in it when theres no complete control over what gets synced and how much of it.

Don't get me wrong, iTunes is nice, but Apple needs to get its head out of its a$$ and allow users to take full control over whats rightfully theirs.

I agree with you, but this thread is about the S3 which you can't mount on the Mac currently cause google has a bug in their android file transfer program. They have yet to even acknowledge the problem, which is frustrating in and of itself.

theluggage
Oct 15, 2012, 10:23 AM
Not being forced to use something like iTunes is what makes Android superior. I can hook up my phone to any computer or device and all my files are readily available. No need for iTunes locking *MY OWN FILES*

Which is fine, except (as is continually being pointed out) the Android FIle Transfer software to do this via USB does not work on these phones and the 'USB Mass Storage' mode is gone.

There are various alternatives (I've tried to start a list of constructive suggestions in another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1468070)) but 'out of the box' the only obvious option is Samsung's 'keis' software, which puts you right back in exactly the situation you described with iTunes.

iTunes doesn't lock up your music - its all kept nicely organised by artist and album in plain files in your iTunes library folder, and if you do succeed to mount your phone you can just copy it across. iTunes also maintains an easily-decipherable XML mirror of the basic library metadata and playlists etc. The only issue is if you haven't replaced your years-old DRM-encrypted .aac files with new unlocked ones. Hopefully, common sense will prevail and DRM on video files and books will soon follow music DRM into oblivion. Access to Apps is an academic issue since even without DRM they would only be useful on iDevices.

3bs
Oct 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
Is there a way to get smart playlists to sync with Google Music as well?

Evoken
Oct 28, 2012, 11:26 AM

I don't think there is, it just syncs regular playlists.

----------

Which is fine, except (as is continually being pointed out) the Android FIle Transfer software to do this via USB does not work on these phones.

My S3 didn't work before with the Android File Transfer app, but after I rooted it and installed Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10, it now works and the app reads both the internal and external SD cards, allowing me to copy files to and from them. Maybe it has something to do with TouchWiz? Stock Jelly Bean works fine with the app.

3bs
Oct 28, 2012, 11:44 AM
I don't think there is, it just syncs regular playlists.

----------

My S3 didn't work before with the Android File Transfer app, but after I rooted it and installed Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10, it now works and the app reads both the internal and external SD cards, allowing me to copy files to and from them. Maybe it has something to do with TouchWiz? Stock Jelly Bean works fine with the app.

That's a shame. I'm growing to love the Google Music app and I'll be needing it more when I get the Nexus 4 because of it's limited storage.

paulsalter
Oct 28, 2012, 12:50 PM

Not sure if this helps at all, it allows creation of smart playlists (live lists as they call it) and they appear to work fine in the google music app, I have only been looking briefly at them though

http://jrtstudio.com/node/20

it's an option in the iSyncr app

3bs
Oct 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
Not sure if this helps at all, it allows creation of smart playlists (live lists as they call it) and they appear to work fine in the google music app, I have only been looking briefly at them though

http://jrtstudio.com/node/20

it's an option in the iSyncr app

I'll have a look at it thanks. Does is allow me to filter songs based on the date added to iTunes? That's the only smart playlist that I really want on my phone.

michaeljohn
Oct 29, 2012, 03:55 AM

Airdroid.

steviewhy
Oct 29, 2012, 04:20 AM
Airdroid.

This.

Also AFT was updated on Oct 15th and now works perfectly on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with my Nexus 7 Jelly Bean 4.1.2

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

paulsalter
Oct 29, 2012, 02:16 PM
I'll have a look at it thanks. Does is allow me to filter songs based on the date added to iTunes? That's the only smart playlist that I really want on my phone.

it seems quite basic on this

it only gives the option to create a list of items added after a certain date or before one (be nice if you could specify number of days)

not sure if this is the date added into itunes or onto the device

Typswif2fingers
Oct 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
The Android transfer did not work on my iMac (OS X) so I initially used Parallels to sync over Windows. But it is working on my Air (same version of OS X)... Tad weird.

faroZ06
Oct 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
I wish google had android file transfer working for it... thats what i really want, but i'll take doubletwist.

Android File Transfer is TERRIBLE. It often doesn't work, and it runs a background process on your system even when you're not using it.

I'm not one of those people who cares about what phones other people use (other than for research purposes), but it's always fun to laugh at my friend, a Google fan, when he gets into a mess trying to sync his Nexus. The reason I do this is because he frequently tries to convince me to buy an Android device, claiming that iTunes is annoying and such. Yeah, I'd rather have my songs sync automatically with my iTunes library, thank you.

marc11
Oct 29, 2012, 07:22 PM
Android File Transfer is TERRIBLE. It often doesn't work, and it runs a background process on your system even when you're not using it.

I'm not one of those people who cares about what phones other people use (other than for research purposes), but it's always fun to laugh at my friend, a Google fan, when he gets into a mess trying to sync his Nexus. The reason I do this is because he frequently tries to convince me to buy an Android device, claiming that iTunes is annoying and such. Yeah, I'd rather have my songs sync automatically with my iTunes library, thank you.

I tried DoubleTwist AirSync last night on my Nexus 7 and it worked flawlessly. There are two things you need to be aware of, first, if you enable Airplay it runs all the time and will drain the battery; so it is better to only enable it when you want to use it; it is easy enough to swipe to the left to the settings screen and turn it on and off within the app. Second, there is another service that runs in the background for auto synching, by default the app is set to sync every hour, but you can turn that off and kick off a manual sync instead. The service that runs uses little battery and resources.

It is great for synching videos and pictures, if it is just music you want to sync the Google Play Music app works perfectly and seemlessly.

Most issues people have are with their ability to understand the technology, follow the prompts and set things up correctly. If you take your time to understand how things work and set it up correctly things generally work as expected.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------