PDA

View Full Version : my busted 3rd Gen 15 gig ipod...any hope?

Ninja_Turtle
Aug 29, 2005, 09:07 PM
yeah, so i got this 3rd gen 15 gig ipod, my gf put it in soda, by acciddent...and yeah it got messed up, i got the FOLDER with the ! icon when it starts up, so heres the deal, im assuming the soda messed up the little hardrive, and it costs 250$ to get it repaired by apple, now...if they do that, do i get all my music/files back? or do they just repair the thing? i really just care for my music and files

is there any hope?

gco212
Aug 29, 2005, 09:40 PM
I don't think so. Apple will simply replace the hard drive. I think your music and files are gone for good.

EJBasile
Aug 29, 2005, 10:04 PM
yeah, so i got this 3rd gen 15 gig ipod, my gf put it in soda, by acciddent...and yeah it got messed up, i got the FOLDER with the ! icon when it starts up, so heres the deal, im assuming the soda messed up the little hardrive, and it costs 250$ to get it repaired by apple, now...if they do that, do i get all my music/files back? or do they just repair the thing? i really just care for my music and files

is there any hope?
I don't do it!!! My hard drive in my 3rd gen 20gb died.

Buy a refurb 3rd gen 20gb iPod for $199 from the apple store. They are just going to send you a refurb one anyways. You'll save $50 plus you get a new 1 year warranty plus the option of buying applecare.

They told me I could send my iPod to apple which would cost me $56 to for apple to look at my iPod +$7 each way shipping. So that is $70 just to have it looked at. Then if it was broken, they can replace it for $249.

Lets see- $250 + $70 = $320. this is some scam apple has going. Why would I spend $250 on a refurb iPod when I could get the exact same refurb one from the apple store plus get the new warranty plus a FW cable and charger for $50 less? Wednesday when I go back to the apple store (long story) I will address this with them.

EJBasile
Aug 29, 2005, 10:05 PM
I don't think so. Apple will simply replace the hard drive. I think your music and files are gone for good.

They won't replace the HD, they just give you a refurb one to replace it. I think they pretty much just refurb*****ize the broken one or throw it away.