Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
This is a stupid question, but I hope someone will answer it out of the kindness of their heart. When you drag artwork into itunes, what location does it save to? I've search through all of my files on my mac and haven't found where they are saving to. It drives me crazy if I don't know where everything goes.
thanks

Nick

withoutcanseco

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2005
i'm pretty dumb about this too...okay, if it's saved as part of the tag...say i drag a picture from amazon.com for the picture, what exactly is saved in the mp3? The URL of the image or is the image stored anywhere locally and the tag contains the path to that file? is there a way to view the information associated with the mp3?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
withoutcanseco said:
i'm pretty dumb about this too...okay, if it's saved as part of the tag...say i drag a picture from amazon.com for the picture, what exactly is saved in the mp3? The URL of the image or is the image stored anywhere locally and the tag contains the path to that file? is there a way to view the information associated with the mp3?
i believe it saves the image embedded within the mp3 file, which is why you can view the artwork on any computer, iirc. if you right click the album art (either in the little pane beneath the playlists or in the album art tab of the info window) you can pick "copy" to copy the image, then paste it into your favorite imaging program and save it like that.

Ron Harvey

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2007
....if you right click the album art (either in the little pane beneath the playlists or in the album art tab of the info window) you can pick "copy" to copy the image, then paste it into your favorite imaging program and save it like that.

I just tried that.

If I copy and then go to Photoshop to paste into a new file the option is greyed out on the menu, ergo it fails to work.

If alternatively I go to a text editor it does allow me to paste, and what is then pasted is a summary of the album information, i.e. ordinary text format, not image format.

We have yet then to work out how to copy transfer the image from one of these Mp3 files to another one.

Is there perhaps another application apart from itunes to make a better job of extracting the image?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
In iTunes, view the image, either through get info or the image window at the bottom left, then drag it out onto the desktop. Open the resulting .pictClipping file with your favourite image editor, I used GraphicConverter. (Select File>New>Image Using Clipboard.)

Indeed, if all you want is to transfer the image from one song file to another, just drag the resulting .pictClipping file from the desktop into the image window for that file.

So, we have figured out how to do this. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.