PDA

View Full Version : Wirecutter's Pick for Best iPhone 5 Case: The Switcheasy Tones

MacRumors
Oct 9, 2012, 02:56 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/09/wirecutters-pick-for-best-iphone-5-case-the-switcheasy-tones/)

According to gadget review site The Wirecutter, the best iPhone 5 case at the moment (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-iphone-5-case-so-far-is-the-switcheasy-tones/) is the Switcheasy Tones (http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES_iPhone5).

After he left Gizmodo, longtime tech blogger Brian Lam (http://about.me/blam) decided to make a website to help people buy gadgets. It wouldn't focus on reviewing every possible product in a category, but would instead answer the question "Which one of these should I buy?". Now, The Wirecutter (http://thewirecutter.com) has named its pick for best iPhone 5 case.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/switcheasytone.jpg
The Wirecutter (http://thewirecutter.com/) had this to say in its extraordinarily detailed iPhone 5 case review (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-iphone-5-case-so-far-is-the-switcheasy-tones/):
After trying out most of the iPhone cases currently on the market, I'm using the Switcheasy Tones to protect my iPhone 5. It's exceptionally durable and unobtrusive, and it's a great value at $25.

Unlike the iPhone 4/4S, the iPhone 5's perimeter band -- the outer edge that includes the sleep/wake button -- is made of aluminum, which scratches more easily and warrants a protective layer.

After getting a launch-day iPhone, I tested cases now available from every major brand. As of now, I've looked at all available models from: Belkin, Incase, Otterbox, Speck, STM, and Incipio. Other brands including Ballistic, Case-Mate, Element Case, Grove Made, and Griffin won't have samples ready until later, and I don't expect any of these cases on the horizon to be better than our current pick, based on reviews of past models with the same design as the upcoming cases.

With this first batch, I conducted drop tests, judged everyday usability, and evaluated each model's aesthetics. For the cases that are updates to previous generation models, I researched past reviews to spot design updates and improvements. I also spoke with other expert reviewers to see what they're using.

I looked specifically at slim, everyday-use cases, as opposed models with protection from severe trauma, many of which sacrifice compactness and usability. In this everyday-use category, and this should apply to a majority of iPhone 5 owners, a case needs to stand up to general use and abuse, like waist-high drops onto concrete, or a bouncy ride in a packed messenger bag.The Switcheasy Tones is available for $24.99 in seven color options through Switcheasy's website (http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES_iPhone5).

Article Link: Wirecutter's Pick for Best iPhone 5 Case: The Switcheasy Tones (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/09/wirecutters-pick-for-best-iphone-5-case-the-switcheasy-tones/)

Patriks7
Oct 9, 2012, 03:03 PM
Been a longtime fan and user of SwitchEasy products. I feel like they don't get enough praise, always try to recommend them to everyone.

KO95
Oct 9, 2012, 03:05 PM
Has anyone tried the AViiQ's thin series cases?
http://www.aviiq.com/collections/frontpage/products/thin-series-iphone-5-case

I believe that'll be my iPhone 5 case.

rhp2424
Oct 9, 2012, 03:08 PM
I have this case and love it!

slicecom
Oct 9, 2012, 03:08 PM
The best case is the one Jonathan Ive designed.

MsQueen
Oct 9, 2012, 03:09 PM
Lovely! And it's not bulky like the Otterbox. This may be 1st iPhone 5 case

barkmonster
Oct 9, 2012, 03:09 PM

Would that be the one that isn't resistant to scratches and creates the need to house it in cases like this to prevent them? Genius design :D

zman2100
Oct 9, 2012, 03:10 PM
Still going naked.

BJB Productions
Oct 9, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'm a huge Switcheasy fan, but I personally kinda thought the Tones looked rather ugly. Just my impression. Though, I'm sure it's great protection.

slicecom
Oct 9, 2012, 03:11 PM
Would that be the one that isn't resistant to scratches and creates the need to house it in cases like this to prevent them? Genius design :D

It performs quite amazingly in drop tests, and cases usually end up causing more scuffs than they prevent.

GoCubsGo
Oct 9, 2012, 03:12 PM
The price is great, the case is simple and nice ... I would buy it if I had the new iPhone for sure.

Whatsit
Oct 9, 2012, 03:14 PM
I was happy with the InCase case I had for my 4 (I got it with the free case program) but have been enjoying going naked with my iPhone 5. I like the look and feel of the aluminum back. Haven't had any scratching problems with it. If so, I may change my mind. (And if so, the Tones case looks pretty good, IMO.) But I'm reasonably careful about not storing my phone in the same pocket with my keys.

xxgilxx
Oct 9, 2012, 03:16 PM
I'm going all the way. Griffin survivor. I have kids and butterfingers you know...

mcguim
Oct 9, 2012, 03:17 PM
I settled on the gear4 Thin Ice transparent case. It is really light and thin so doesn't make your iPhone feel too bulky a is reasonably priced. Really happy with it.

Nozuka
Oct 9, 2012, 03:18 PM
"yay its still perfect under the cover - i just never get to see it"

camnchar
Oct 9, 2012, 03:20 PM
Ghost Armor (http://www.ghost-armor.com) for me. Not quite naked, but naked enough.

george-brooks
Oct 9, 2012, 03:23 PM

This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!

slicecom
Oct 9, 2012, 03:23 PM
"yay its still perfect under the cover - i just never get to see it"

"... and when I sell it, I'll get 10% more for it... minus the cost of the case of course... :o "

Unggoy Murderer
Oct 9, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm waiting for the TwelveSouth BookBook, the one for the 4/4S was fantastic. Don't get me wrong, pretty expensive (especially internationally) but it's the best case I've ever had for any of my phones.

powaking
Oct 9, 2012, 03:37 PM

I currently have an Incase for my iP4 that looks a lot like this one and love it. Will have to keep this one in mind.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl59593#img1

troop231
Oct 9, 2012, 03:44 PM
My favorite case right now is the Ballistic Smooth.

The Mad Mule
Oct 9, 2012, 03:48 PM
Eh, looks about the same as the Rocketfish case I got at Best Buy for the same price.

Sky Blue
Oct 9, 2012, 03:53 PM
Who paid for this "news article"? Switcheasy or Wirecutter?

roland.g
Oct 9, 2012, 03:54 PM
This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!

I use a skin. There are many out there. Zagg, WrapSol, XO, etc. The list is fairly extensive. I've used BSE - www.bestskinsever.com since the original iPhone and on my iPad and MacBook Air and find their product, application process, and most of all lower price better to the others. I only use the body version which wraps the band and back. I prefer to leave the screen free. The skin adds a little bit of extra grip which is nice. And gives me piece of mind against scratching. For those wanting something on the screen I suggest SGP Steinheil or PowerSupportUSA screen films which are slick and quite clear.

ToomeyND
Oct 9, 2012, 04:02 PM
I agree with going naked. Been doing it with my iPhone 4 for almost 2 years now. I agree with the idea that the great design should stand by itself.

That said, my camera is now totally scratched up because it is flush with the rest of the phone. I don't care about scratches on the back glass, but when all my photos are blurred because of scratches, I will seriously consider covering my next phone.

Uncle David
Oct 9, 2012, 04:02 PM
After trying out most of the iPhone cases currently on the market...

I'm holding out for the CapsuleRebel™ by the same company, SwitchEasy.

feelleal
Oct 9, 2012, 04:07 PM
Going give this case a try. Already had to take my iPhone5 to the genuisbar due to it falling out of my pocket. It had an Incipio case on it. So glad I got AppleCare+. Had my iPhone4 for two years without a drop and a few weeks in already broke my new one.

JTToft
Oct 9, 2012, 04:09 PM
The iPhone 5 is one of the most beautiful products ever made. It shouldn't be covered up by an ugly case.

needfx
Oct 9, 2012, 04:34 PM
I'm a nudist when it comes to iPhones

mzd
Oct 9, 2012, 04:39 PM
The Switcheasy Tones is available for $24.99 in seven color options through Switcheasy's website (http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES_iPhone5).

Article Link: Wirecutter's Pick for Best iPhone 5 Case: The Switcheasy Tones (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/09/wirecutters-pick-for-best-iphone-5-case-the-switcheasy-tones/)
except they're not available. at least not the black. they have been out of stock since early last week. they'll gladly take your order, but they are not shipping them.

jlgolson
Oct 9, 2012, 04:40 PM
Who paid for this "news article"? Switcheasy or Wirecutter?
Neither (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:MacRumors_FAQ#Are_news_stories_really_advertising_in_disguise.3F), though I'm a big fan of Wirecutter and friendly with Brian Lam.

slicecom
Oct 9, 2012, 04:42 PM
I agree with going naked. Been doing it with my iPhone 4 for almost 2 years now. I agree with the idea that the great design should stand by itself.

That said, my camera is now totally scratched up because it is flush with the rest of the phone. I don't care about scratches on the back glass, but when all my photos are blurred because of scratches, I will seriously consider covering my next phone.

Unlike all previous iPhones, the camera lens on the iPhone 5 is made of sapphire which is much more resistant to scratches.

jayducharme
Oct 9, 2012, 04:54 PM
When I do get my iPhone 5, I might send it to Liquipel. Rather than dropping it, I'm afraid of getting it wet. I carry it in my shirt pocket and I panic in sudden rainstorms. If it were waterproof, a case wouldn't matter as much.

bpcookson
Oct 9, 2012, 05:11 PM
I've never used cases on my iPhones and I've never had a problem selling them when I upgrade.

Go naked or go home.

dgalvan123
Oct 9, 2012, 05:16 PM
There's no way I'd use this phone naked for the long term. I've seem much evidence online that pocket change and keys can scratch the aluminum back up really bad and can chip the edges of the phone (I have the black one).

I applied a "Best Skins Ever" full-body skin on my iPhone 5. It covers the front, back, home button, and the edge, but not the few mm of slanted edge between the glass and the perpendicular part of the edge (the bevel or "chamfer" as apple calls it).

The skin is actually pretty tough to notice for the casual observer. And they've done a good job keeping the feel of the skin slick. It's almost as slick as the bare glass. Not tacky or rubbery/sticky feeling as when I had a similar skin on my iPhone 3G.

Not a bad deal at $9.

That said, my phone does have a few very small "chips" out of the chamfer, which I didn't notice until a couple days after unboxing it (definitely before I put the skin on). . . but I can't be sure whether the chips were already there when I opened it or whether it got chipped somehow since I've had it. I haven't dropped it or knocked it against anything. (I gather this chipping is pretty common and likely is inherent to all black iPhone 5's due to the black coating on the edge/antenna being chipped off.)

I may end up getting a case to try and protect the chamfers. . . but right now with the full-body skin I'm feeling the phone is fairly well protected from scuffs/scratches. (It's probably not much help in terms of impact resistance though, whereas a case probably would be.)

----------

I've never used cases on my iPhones and I've never had a problem selling them when I upgrade.

Go naked or go home.

*goes home.* :(

striker33
Oct 9, 2012, 05:20 PM
This isnt about Mac's, or a rumor for that matter.

Have I just been trolled?

vthree
Oct 9, 2012, 05:22 PM
This.

I too concur. now that I have APP+ ... its $49 for a new phone if something major did happen. buying a case is easily more than half of that fee... I don't see a point in a case. In 2 years, I'll upgrade to a new phone anyways... If i didn't already know that then maybe i'd go with a case -- otherwise I'm never reckless with my phone.

yongren
Oct 9, 2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for posting this the day after I ordered a different case on Amazon!

ToomeyND
Oct 9, 2012, 05:53 PM
Unlike all previous iPhones, the camera lens on the iPhone 5 is made of sapphire which is much more resistant to scratches.

Great to hear. Thanks for the response!

gotluck
Oct 9, 2012, 05:59 PM
my hands sweat too much to use a naked iPhone :(

snowcrash
Oct 9, 2012, 06:59 PM
So far I've used Wrapsol, invisableShield, various knock offs, a few cases and a knockoff bumper for my 5 and decided to run it naked (and yes it's also black). I ran my 4 and 4S naked most of the time. If anything ill grab a GelaSkins or something for the back just because I like designing my own custom ones and call it a day.

Presonance
Oct 9, 2012, 07:10 PM
Now, The Wirecutter has named it's pick for best iPhone 5 case.

it's > its

The Wirecutter had this to say in it's extraordinarily detailed iPhone 5 case review:

it's > its

iGrip
Oct 9, 2012, 07:26 PM

I find it very ironic that so many people complain that other phones being made of durable plastic feel cheap, and go on and on about how beautiful the iPhone is, but then they cover their beautiful iPhone in a cheap feeling plastic case.

Apple made the iPhone out of aluminum because that is the very best material that could possibly be used.

bedifferent
Oct 9, 2012, 08:15 PM

I (and many) disagree. I've owned every iPhone variant (used to work for Apple in Cupertino), and the 5 (6th version) seems to be the least durable. The new, thinner front touch-screen is much more susceptible to breakage than the 4/4S. There are many who have already shattered the front glass in situations that previous models easily brushed off.

Unfortunately, as much as Ive may hate cases, until Apple develops a sturdy shell they will be a necessary evil.

sekazi
Oct 9, 2012, 09:02 PM
This.

Agree. I have gotten cases for all my iPhones but this time around I have already bought two and not satisfied with either so I have not used a case for my iPhone 5 since launch. Now if someone was to release a bumper just like the iPhone 4 bumper then I would likely change my mind as I like the grip it provides on a surface so I can sit it on my dash without it flying off. The i-BLASON bumper released makes the phone feel strangely bulky but the Apple Bumper never did a such of a thing for me.

My black iPhone is still scratch free since launch.

Back at the launch of the iPad 3 I decided to ditch screen protectors so since then I have removed them from all of my devices. Still no scratches since removal. But I did keep the ZUM SC Ultimate and Leather Smart Cover on my iPad and Speck Candy Shell on my iPod touch G3.

People who complain about the phone getting scratched in their pocket dont put it in there with keys and change. The people who do this boggles my mind. Use a pocket for you phone, a pocket for your keys and a pocket for you wallet. It is that simple. I have never put a phone in with keys and change even my cheap Nokia I had years ago that got tossed around.

jlgolson
Oct 9, 2012, 09:13 PM
it's > its

it's > itsWhoops, you're right. Embarassing. It's/Its is my biggest grammar fault.

noteple
Oct 9, 2012, 09:14 PM
I use their case.
Ain't gonna get scratched but it no longer looks or feels like an iPhone 5.

Cygnus311
Oct 9, 2012, 09:30 PM
You can find cases as good or better than all of these on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-iPhone-5-Brushed-Silver-Aluminum-Metal-Plated-Thin-Hard-Case-Cover-5G-w-SP-/350602298547?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_1543wt_1397)for a fraction of the cost. Also, anyone that uses screen protectors is an idiot.

Yester5
Oct 9, 2012, 09:37 PM
You can find cases as good or better than all of these on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-iPhone-5-Brushed-Silver-Aluminum-Metal-Plated-Thin-Hard-Case-Cover-5G-w-SP-/350602298547?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_1543wt_1397)for a fraction of the cost. Also, anyone that uses screen protectors is an idiot.
Why?

Cygnus311
Oct 9, 2012, 10:03 PM
Because the glass doesn't scratch if you're even remotely careful? I've been sticking the iPhone 4 in my pocket naked for over 2 years and there's not a single scratch on either side of the glass whatsoever. Just don't put keys and other crap in there. Not that hard.

Marzzz
Oct 9, 2012, 10:58 PM
I went around with my iPhone 4 naked for two years; my wife said it was like going around holding a raw egg. Not a mark on it, until the moment she borrowed it from me and dropped it.....

Now I have the iPhone 5 naked, but it is staying in my pocket!

barkmonster
Oct 10, 2012, 01:42 AM
"... and when I sell it, I'll get 10% more for it... minus the cost of the case of course... :o "

Keep kidding yourself.

http://youtu.be/OSFKVq36Hgc

D.T.
Oct 10, 2012, 08:08 AM
I like my phones like I like my women: naked, slim ... and on mute.

iMacC2D
Oct 10, 2012, 08:53 AM
Because the glass doesn't scratch if you're even remotely careful? I've been sticking the iPhone 4 in my pocket naked for over 2 years and there's not a single scratch on either side of the glass whatsoever. Just don't put keys and other crap in there. Not that hard.

Why does that make anyone that uses a screen protector an idiot though? I use an id America Skyline case with my iPhone 4S, sporting a Mercury AV glossy protector between the phone and case (to prevent dust intrusion from leaving abrasion marks) and a matte finish anti-glare protector on the front cover glass.

My previous iPhone 3G developed a faint scratch in the front glass, although how is beyond me. I keep the iPhone in a separate pocket at all times, although the phone did tend to get use in the workplace and by people other than myself in certain occasions so it's possible it occurred in any of those situations. My iPhone 4S did develop some minor abrasion marks in the glass due to an improperly manufactured case (the injection moulding seams weren't ground back properly). Thankfully, it buffed out.

However, I've never cracked or chipped the cover glass on any device I've ever owned.

It's for that reason I have the protectors on there. When it's entirely in my control, when the handset is in my pocket or in my hands, I know it will be safe and out of harms way. Should I remove it from that pocket though and leave it on my desk, which as an Apple Technician can be littered with the odd screw or otherwise microscopic piece of debris that perhaps fell from a damaged computer (for example), the last thing I want to do is have direct contact between that debris and the glass. Perhaps the bench is completely clean, completely clear, and it's the negligence of another that results in some damage (it wouldn't be the first time I've returned to find my desk shuffled around, much to my dismay).

I take care, but it's a harsh world, things can and do happen.

Considering it only cost me a few dollars at the most, does not add any additional weight and has no effect on my ability to use the handset at all, I don't see what the problem is in having it on there nor do I feel stupid for doing so. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Jimmy James
Oct 10, 2012, 08:53 AM
The switcheasy was my favorite case for my 4. The fit was the best and the included accessories over the top (ie. stand). The protection was excellent too. I'll be buying one for my next phone.

Hot Karl
Oct 10, 2012, 09:19 AM
I have been keeping my iPhone 5 naked too for all of the good reasons stated above. I have been in the market for an occasional case - that is, a pouch, folder, or wallet that I could put the phone into when I know I will be stowing it away for travel, putting it into a briefcase, or otherwise letting it out of my hand or pocket. Something along the lines of the following. Has anybody found a good solution?

http://store.griffintechnology.com/dapper-sleeve-by-otis-james-iphone-5

http://www.shophex.com/shop/cases/iphone-5/axis-wallet-for-iphone-5

http://www.vajacases.com/iphone-5-leather-cases/stock-iphone-5-leather-cases/stock-iphone-5-matelasse-nn

Dwalls90
Oct 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
I don't want to buy these from their website.

Any news of them coming to Amazon?

Want300
Oct 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm waiting for the TwelveSouth BookBook, the one for the 4/4S was fantastic. Don't get me wrong, pretty expensive (especially internationally) but it's the best case I've ever had for any of my phones.

Im with you... I want the new BookBook for my iPhone 5... and I will get it for my next iPad (whether it be the Mini or the iPad 4)

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 AM
I need one with a holster so I usually end up with an OtterBox Defender. I used another model that I can't remember off the top of my head for my 3 series iPhones and was horrified to see that the hard plastic hinge insides had worn two gouges in the plastic back. Deep ones too, relatively speaking. Aside from that, the phone was spotless.

Still, the OtterBox Defender series have gotten much better than the first incarnation and have saved me countless times from drops and scrapes... I even use their iPad case and, although it's biggish, it protects well and has survived numerous flights and rides in my tool bag...

Not that there aren't any potentially better cases out there with holsters, but these seem to last and protect without being too heavy. To each their own...

How many holster cases are out on the market? Last time I looked, I didn't find more than the OtterBox and a Dolce and Gabanna thing...

----------

I like my phones like I like my women: naked, slim ... and on mute.

Don't have much luck with that, huh...

mdelvecchio
Oct 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
The new, thinner front touch-screen is much more susceptible to breakage than the 4/4S. There are many who have already shattered the front glass in situations that previous models easily brushed off.

wheres your data on this?

D.T.
Oct 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
Don't have much luck with that, huh...

I do pretty good :D

bedifferent
Oct 10, 2012, 01:02 PM
wheres your data on this?

Are you kidding? You want empirical data? Ok. (here's a quick one, read the comments: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57517761-37/apple-can-replace-broken-iphone-5-screens-in-the-store-says-report/ )

Placing that aside, and foregoing that google is your own friend, how about the latest news that Foxconn is slowing production due to the poor anodization of the back:

Increased iPhone 5 Quality Control Standards to Address Scratches Slowing Production (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/10/increased-iphone-5-quality-control-standards-to-address-scratches-slowing-production/)

janderson0719
Oct 10, 2012, 01:23 PM
I have the original Apple case

james90755
Oct 10, 2012, 02:50 PM
I am using painter's blue tape on the back until I decide...

s15119
Oct 10, 2012, 03:52 PM
Looks like a nice case. I'll give it a try. I too prefer to have my iPhone naked, but I know eventually I'll drop it - so usually I keep it in a case, and then occasionly use it naked for a spell.

laidbacknate
Oct 10, 2012, 06:43 PM

Jon Ive designed a great case, but if you plan on using your iPhone "naked" then prepare to accept the scratches and dings that will appear all over the aluminum casing.

Sure, I love the look of my iPhone 5, but I also like being able to set it down on a counter top without risking permanent damage. How about Ghost Armor? Slim profile, hardly noticeable, supremely durable. Or even a clear case if you just like the way it looks.

iPhone 5 is great, looks great, feels great in the hand, but I also want it to last. Rollin' naked is for the supremely brave, and/or supremely stupid. :cool:

KdParker
Oct 10, 2012, 08:30 PM
Liking the case, but my just go with a clear cover inorder keep the look of the phone.

----------

Jon Ive designed a great case, but if you plan on using your iPhone "naked" then prepare to accept the scratches and dings that will appear all over the aluminum casing.

Sure, I love the look of my iPhone 5, but I also like being able to set it down on a counter top without risking permanent damage. How about Ghost Armor? Slim profile, hardly noticeable, supremely durable. Or even a clear case if you just like the way it looks.

iPhone 5 is great, looks great, feels great in the hand, but I also want it to last. Rollin' naked is for the supremely brave, and/or supremely stupid. :cool:

link for slim profile?

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 11, 2012, 05:38 AM
Well the iPhone was the first phone I've had that is metal. Well, and come to think of it, it's the first phone I've had that is glass too. They've come a long way from the original all plastic iPhone.

All of the other pretenders are predominantly plastic. I give it to Apple for switching things up and trying different materials and combinations to keep it interesting. I am waiting for a carbon fiber iPhone. THAT would be interesting to see, and I imagine a real bugger on the QC side.

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 11, 2012, 05:49 AM
Rollin' naked is for the supremely brave, and/or supremely stupid. :cool:

But there are people that buy SUV's and aside from the occasional dirt clod or tire tracks left from a landscaping truck, never ever see ANY off road action. That's not to say that they shouldn't have bought an SUV, I'm sure they have their reasons, but theirs will make a great score on the used market with no dents and scratches and stress of off road use. Some people buy mobile phones and they never see anything but their ear, and their pants/suit coat pocket. And some people just expect some wear to show on their products. Still I wonder if the aluminum is coated properly. Wouldn't hard anodizing cause the surface to be more durable? Is that material actually stainless steel, or aluminum? Aluminum would scratch a lot easier than stainless... Stainless would be harder to permanently color. Maybe they should have used a hard anodized aluminum instead, unless the reason for the metal plate is to add stiffness/rigidity almost as an afterthought...

tbrinkma
Oct 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
Whoops, you're right. Embarassing. It's/Its is my biggest grammar fault.

You could have just said, "Its my biggest grammar fault.", and he would have corrected it for you. :p :D

----------

Are you kidding? You want empirical data? Ok. (here's a quick one, read the comments: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57517761-37/apple-can-replace-broken-iphone-5-screens-in-the-store-says-report/ )

Placing that aside, and foregoing that google is your own friend, how about the latest news that Foxconn is slowing production due to the poor anodization of the back:

Increased iPhone 5 Quality Control Standards to Address Scratches Slowing Production (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/10/increased-iphone-5-quality-control-standards-to-address-scratches-slowing-production/)

Neither of those articles even *claims* to present empirical data about the iPhone 5 screen being easier to break. (I'm thinking you don't know what 'empirical data' means.)

cuskit
Oct 11, 2012, 10:16 AM
it's > its

it's > its

If you "hate to be that guy" - then don't! I bet you feel SO much better now that you posted your corrections...

I know that I gave a HUGE sigh of relief when I noticed that somebody had finally caught those two errors.. NOT!!! :D

Sigh...

cuskit
Oct 11, 2012, 10:28 AM
I'm extremely interested in this case - I have this "need" to keep as slim as possible and this case does seem to address that issue nicely.

However... I also need a holster (pockets are not an option - I'm a tradesman and often kneeling, lying down, rolling over, etc.) and with the holster I find it easier to remember to remove it when doing any of these activities. Time back I broke my Droid (in my pocket, out of sight - out of mind) while rolling over to my back (installing some kitchen base cabinets).

Which brings me to this question: Any chance this will fit into the Verizon "Shell/Holster Combo"? That is my present protection but I'm not real comfortable with this cover as it leaves the top and bottom front edges exposed (I believe this is where the antennas are located?)..

jlgolson
Oct 11, 2012, 10:37 AM
You could have just said, "Its my biggest grammar fault.", and he would have corrected it for you. :p :D[COLOR="#808080"]
That would have been much more clever!

HERO XXL
Oct 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
Im with you... I want the new BookBook for my iPhone 5... and I will get it for my next iPad (whether it be the Mini or the iPad 4)

Bought the Book Book last time and hardly EVER took it out--HANDS DOWN one of the best cases I've ever owned.

...but the wait is too much to bear--especially with all the scuffing stories--I purchased a flimsy replica to hold me over--but it doesn't provide the protection that the Book Book did in case of an accidental drop, so I decided to jump on the replicas that ARE available now. I purchased a NAVOR iPhone 4 case for my wife's 4S and was REALLY surprised at its' quality--plus it had the hole for the camera (something I hated about the Book Book). Their version for the 5 was released yesterday and I've already placed my order this morning AND it has already shipped!!

I also purchased another replica off ebay--both of them were under $25 and came in both brown and black. I REALLY tried to hold out for the Book Book, but if something happened to the phone prior to whenever they get around to releasing it, I'd be pissed off at self for waiting.

Want300
Oct 11, 2012, 03:29 PM
I also purchased another replica off ebay--both of them were under $25 and came in both brown and black. I REALLY tried to hold out for the Book Book, but if something happened to the phone prior to whenever they get around to releasing it, I'd be pissed off at self for waiting.

When you get them... Let me know how the quality is if you don't mind.

Links? Thanks.

shrtmkr
Oct 11, 2012, 06:45 PM
Go naked and enjoy the design.

mdelvecchio
Oct 12, 2012, 09:42 AM

you have failed to provide any data to back up your claim:

"The new, thinner front touch-screen is much more susceptible to breakage than the 4/4S."

...sorry but some comments on a story arent data. point us to some articles about this "glass-gate", huh? or anandtech doing a glass stress test demonstrating the new, weaker break point. oh yeah, there arent any.

hater fail.

bedifferent
Oct 13, 2012, 09:21 AM
you have failed to provide any data to back up your claim:

"The new, thinner front touch-screen is much more susceptible to breakage than the 4/4S."

...sorry but some comments on a story arent data. point us to some articles about this "glass-gate", huh? or anandtech doing a glass stress test demonstrating the new, weaker break point. oh yeah, there arent any.

hater fail.

Sorry, but I own the device, happened to me, and my friend. I used to work for the company in corporate. I am not a, "hater", and are we 12???

Honestly.

rockinrocker
Oct 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
Has anybody used the Switcheasy Tones with Apple's 30 pin to Lightening adaptor?
It looks like it might be too thick on the bottom for it to connect without having to take the case off.

iPhonagain
Oct 14, 2012, 12:46 AM
Best case I've found is the Ikonicedge super-slim pouch (I prefer the one with card pouch) http://www.ikonicedge.com/iphone_ss_pouches.html
Used it for my 4S and it is awesome. It is the best quality leather pouch I have used and I have tried many, including Vaja, Piel-Farma, etc.
Iconic edge is pricey but the quality cannot be beat IMHO.

Also I very much like the Das Blau line, they are affordable and great quality.

Other than that I prefer to go naked as Jony I've has made the most awesome case Ever !

Thunderhawks
Oct 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
I'm going all the way. Griffin survivor. I have kids and butterfingers you know...

After all generations from the 3GS on, I can tell by my personal usage that I need a case!

I had my GS out of the box for 1 minute, put it face down on my car console. My dog stepped on it : Front glass scratch!

Dropped it plenty of times after that, same for 4S.

So, as an admitted Klutz I can only envy those who can keep an iPhone nice
and unbroken.

(BTW: Same reason why I don't ever buy white or light pants. Come to think of it , somebody ought to invent a protective case for white clothes!

JAT
Oct 15, 2012, 01:45 PM

Go naked or go home.
But most accidents happen at home.

cpnotebook80
Oct 15, 2012, 02:52 PM

I got that one. I got the white translucent one and didnt like it. A small stain on the inside of the case and you can see it smudged. Im waiting for my black one exhchange

jpine
Oct 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
I find it very ironic that so many people complain that other phones being made of durable plastic feel cheap, and go on and on about how beautiful the iPhone is, but then they cover their beautiful iPhone in a cheap feeling plastic case.

Apple made the iPhone out of aluminum because that is the very best material that could possibly be used.

I just wished someone would have thought of using anodized aluminum like my Maglite flashlight. It's nearly 20 years old and has very few scratches. I treat it far rougher than I do a cell phone.

HERO XXL
Oct 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
When you get them... Let me know how the quality is if you don't mind.

Links? Thanks.

Don't mind at all--glad to help out. Recieved one--still waiting for the other. This one:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=320987241154
isn't half bad--I know it isn't the Book Book, but I have no complaints, save for the hole for the camera isnt large enough, so when you take a pic with the flash, the pic is "washed out" because the flash reflects off the rim of the hole, which is big, just not big enough. For a "stand in", I'll deal with it. The other:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009AN3D2U/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_SC_dp_1
by Navor, is the one I'm REALLY waiting for, since I was extremely impressed with it's quality for my wife's iPhone 4s. I'll try to post some pics of the ebay one later on tonight.

mdelvecchio
Oct 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
Sorry, but I own the device, happened to me, and my friend. I used to work for the company in corporate. I am not a, "hater", and are we 12???

Honestly.

sorry, but an anecdotal story about you & your bro do not back up the claim that the new glass is notoriously more shatter-prone than the previous generation. you dont have to be a computer scientists to understand why thats the case, do you?

bedifferent
Oct 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
sorry, but an anecdotal story about you & your bro do not back up the claim that the new glass is notoriously more shatter-prone than the previous generation. you dont have to be a computer scientists to understand why thats the case, do you?

I'm sorry, but I refuse to respond to a disrespectful reply with a condescending tone ("bro"? I'm 35 and not your "bro"). I've worked in tech since probably before you were a twinkle in your fathers eye, I can confidently state I know enough to recommend a product based on, yes, opinion.

We're done here. If you wish to carry this into a PM with respectful and polite discourse, I'm amenable to such. Otherwise, please learn to treat otherwise with the same common courtesy you would expect.

Take care.

mdelvecchio
Oct 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry, but I refuse to respond to a disrespectful reply with a condescending tone ("bro"? I'm 35 and not your "bro").

i think you misread. i said you and *your* bro dont constitute any sort of statistical authenticity on your claim that the new iphone glass is weaker than prior, just because you dropped/broke/whatever your glass. that should be obvious.

I've worked in tech since probably before you were a twinkle in your fathers eye, I can confidently state I know enough to recommend a product based on, yes, opinion.

why u mad, bro? (hahah sorry couldnt resist) anyway, im older than you and probably have more tech experience, if pissing matches are worth anything on an anonymous forum on the internet. but they arent.

hamkor04
Oct 16, 2012, 09:19 PM

there is one out-there?

rdlink
Oct 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
I use a skin. There are many out there. Zagg, WrapSol, XO, etc. The list is fairly extensive. I've used BSE - www.bestskinsever.com since the original iPhone and on my iPad and MacBook Air and find their product, application process, and most of all lower price better to the others. I only use the body version which wraps the band and back. I prefer to leave the screen free. The skin adds a little bit of extra grip which is nice. And gives me piece of mind against scratching. For those wanting something on the screen I suggest SGP Steinheil or PowerSupportUSA screen films which are slick and quite clear.

Thanks for this. I have been using Zagg and one of their competitors for years. I decided to try BSE, since it was only $9 for full set of back, front and sides. I also ordered the Zagg full body set the same day. They both came in last night, and I decided to start with BSE, since it was the cheapest. The Zagg is going back! The BSE was easy to install, very customized to the shape of the phone and the buttons, and it's much smoother and and more invisible than the Zagg. All for about a third the price. I'm a convert!:D

Edit: BTW: When it came to the cutouts around buttons, speaker grilles, camera lenses, etc., the BSE was very nice an professional looking. The Zagg was the one that looked cheaper. Really.

pghali
Oct 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
Have you guys seen the waterproof Nautilus case? It was just announced on Kickstarter this weekend...www.tinyurl.com/nautiluscase

Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/09/wirecutters-pick-for-best-iphone-5-case-the-switcheasy-tones/)

According to gadget review site The Wirecutter, the best iPhone 5 case at the moment (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-iphone-5-case-so-far-is-the-switcheasy-tones/) is the Switcheasy Tones (http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES_iPhone5).

After he left Gizmodo, longtime tech blogger Brian Lam (http://about.me/blam) decided to make a website to help people buy gadgets. It wouldn't focus on reviewing every possible product in a category, but would instead answer the question "Which one of these should I buy?". Now, The Wirecutter (http://thewirecutter.com) has named its pick for best iPhone 5 case.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/switcheasytone.jpg)
The Wirecutter (http://thewirecutter.com/) had this to say in its extraordinarily detailed iPhone 5 case review (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-iphone-5-case-so-far-is-the-switcheasy-tones/):
The Switcheasy Tones is available for $24.99 in seven color options through Switcheasy's website (http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES_iPhone5).

dgalvan123
Oct 22, 2012, 11:39 AM

Kind of like saying: "Anyone who pays for car insurance is an idiot. Just don't get into an accident! Not that hard."

The "idiots" who use screen protectors gain the ability to put their phones in situations where a "naked" phone WOULD get scratched, without having to worry/think about it. They make a small investment ($9 for a BSE skin), and never have to worry or remind themselves not to put keys, coins, and things in their pockets.

You DO have to remember not to put regular pocket items into your pocket with your phone every single time you put your phone or anything else into your pockets.

On using skins in general:
My wife kept her iphone 4 in a case without a screen protector, I kept mine in a case WITH a screen protector. Somehow, she managed to keep her phone screen scratch-free for two years with no screen protector. That convinced me to finally remove my screen protector (it was getting peeled up in places after almost 2 years of taking the case on and off). A month or so later I dropped my phone on a sandy sidewalk: now there is a small but noticeable scratch on the screen.

I'll always use a skin. At least on the front.

I'm guessing the reason my wife has better luck keeping her screen scratch free has to do with the fact that she keeps the phone in a soft pouch in her purse, whereas I keep mine in my pocket? Who knows though. Statistics of small numbers means, to me, it's better to be prepared and eliminate worry.

dgalvan123
Oct 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
I have been using Zagg and one of their competitors for years. I decided to try BSE, since it was only $9 for full set of back, front and sides. I also ordered the Zagg full body set the same day. They both came in last night, and I decided to start with BSE, since it was the cheapest. The Zagg is going back! The BSE was easy to install, very customized to the shape of the phone and the buttons, and it's much smoother and and more invisible than the Zagg. All for about a third the price. I'm a convert!:D

When I got an iPhone 3G (4 years ago!), my BSE screen protector felt "tacky" and not as smooth as glass.

The iPhone 5 BSE skin feels much smoother and similar to the iphone's glass screen than the older version did. Not sure if they changed the formula/material or what, but it's a noticeable improvement.

If you look around on youtube for comparison videos (like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dPt2EwDGyY ) others say the same thing. Haven't tried Zagg myself since it is way more expensive. But from what I've read BSE is actually a better product at the moment.

----------

anyone receiver their switcheasy tones yet?

I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. My amazon account said it is in "transit to the carrier" and that it is expected to deliver between "October 16 and October 30".

Nothing yet.

rdldew
Oct 31, 2012, 04:08 PM
I picked up this case. It's pretty nice, but hides this amazing black beauty. As far as hard to take off, try peeling from the top or bottom. It makes it a ton easier.

rockinrocker
Nov 2, 2012, 01:01 AM
Neither of the Apple lightening to 30 pin adapters fit with the Switcheasy Tones.

Not even the cable extension version. The connector is just a little bit thicker and doesn't fit.

Just a heads up for anybody thinking about getting that case.

dgalvan123
Nov 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
I received my Switcheasy Tones case in Black/Grey two days ago.

It is exactly what I was hoping it would be: simple, low profile, convincingly protective, provides good grip but also easy to take in and out of my pocket, and, most importantly, the buttons are extremely easy to press! Since the Switcheasy Tones is made of two materials (hard plastic for much of the back and sides, softer rubberized plastic for some of the sides and the top/bottom), it provides strong protection and ease of use.

I had a Speck Pixelskin HD for my iPhone 4 for two years. I liked the low-profile, slim, protective nature of that case. But what I didn't like is that I always had to press the volume or lock buttons extremely hard through the case to get them to work. Not the case for the Switcheasy Tones. The softer material over the buttons make them very easy to press. You still feel the "click" with your finger almost as well as not having a case on at all. MUCH better than the Speck case was (and I still think the Speck case was a good case).

Also, the softer material on the edges makes it easier than the Speck Pixelskin HD to remove the case. (Agree with the above poster: start peeling from the bottom or top, not the sides, and you won't have a problem.)

The hard plastic on the back provides rigid support for the main body of the phone (I'd imagine this may help reduce likelihood of the phone bending or the screen cracking as a result of a bend.) And because the hard plastic is more "slick" than the rubberized sides, it allows the phone to slide easily in and out of my jeans pocket.

The "bezel" of the case IS raised above the screen's surface, but only slightly. So you can put it face down on a very flat surface and the screen won't touch that surface. But as I recall the Speck's raised bezel was raised a bit higher. So to protect your screen from scratching I'd still recommend using a screen protector. (I use a BSE screen protector which I had before this case. But the case comes with a good peel-on screen protector, so need to buy a separate one.)

Thanks to the original poster for bringing this case to my attention! I can strongly recommend it to others who like minimalist cases that still protect the front, sides, top, bottom, and back of the phone, while maintaining ease of use.

----------

Neither of the Apple lightening to 30 pin adapters fit with the Switcheasy Tones.

Not even the cable extension version. The connector is just a little bit thicker and doesn't fit.

Thanks for the heads up.

Just to re-assure people: the lightning/usb cable that comes with the phone (or that you can buy from Apple for $20) DOES of course fit with the Switcheasy Tones.

(I don't use the lightning/30-pin adapter.)

----------

[/COLOR]anyone receiver their switcheasy tones yet?

I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. My amazon account said it is in "transit to the carrier" and that it is expected to deliver between "October 16 and October 30".

Nothing yet.

By the way I should point out that when I ordered the case via Amazon, I heard nothing for 3+ weeks and then got issued a refund with no explanation.

When I ordered the case directly through Switcheasy's website, I got an order confirmation and the case got to me with 4 days.

So if you want this case, order directly from Switcheasy, not Amazon.

Janus2012
Nov 20, 2012, 07:21 AM
I use the cases from Otterbox for rough environment, but love my iPhone 4 Alfa case from EDGE Design.

Cosmos01
Nov 24, 2012, 05:15 PM
I was disappointed in this case to be honest.

snowboardfoo
Nov 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
There are so many "coolest iphone case" articles out there that are just ad placement...

The truth is, everyone is different! Right? So, imho, the ultimate "coolest" case for EVERYONE is just the ability to design your own case! Then you can get exactly what you want on it, literally.

This site is awesome, it makes it really easy to design your own case, and it's actually cheaper than buying it right from the manufacturer, how crazy is that! Check it out here:

http://www.case-monkey.com

or just GOOGLE: CASE-MONKEY if you're like me and can't remember that there's a dash in the URL... haha

I have one, it's sweet, and it's got MY personal logo on it. For most people, who cares about my logo, yeah, but for me, THAT's the COOLEST!! :D

What would you make if you can put anything on it? It's a tough decision, so many possibilities!!

AlexDatcher
Dec 5, 2012, 04:48 AM
Thank you for giving this iphone 5 cases (http://saraoutlet.com/iphone5-cases-covers.html) away. I really want to get it. How does it costs?

excalibur313
Dec 5, 2012, 09:07 AM
I just bought it and it is the nicest case I have ever owned by far. It looks so gorgeous with the iphone!

Jonessfplanet
Jan 7, 2013, 05:26 AM
Really nice collection of ipad mini cases in Wirecutter's but my friend got ipad mini cases from sfplanet which is also nice you can check the site

The Bogeyman
Jan 14, 2013, 08:07 AM
I've got a Switcheasy on my phone. It's very good. I hardly notice it's there.

Zimmy68
Jan 14, 2013, 08:36 AM
A little leery that there are no pictures of the bottom of the case, the most important to me.

Do I need to wrestle the case off when I want to dock or use about 70% of the headphones out there?

reiichiroh
Jan 20, 2013, 03:06 AM
on the white-and-gray tone i got, the cut-outs are small. too small for official apple adapters. nothing but the vanilla official lightning cable works. i've always loved switcheasy cases but i've gone back to the speck candyshell grip.

rockinrocker
Jan 21, 2013, 10:29 AM
Here's my response about the bottom of the case:

mahamanob
Aug 25, 2013, 01:23 PM
The iPhone 5 is one of the best smart phones available in the market today. Think about it, you have bought the phone after spending a fortune and if it falls from your hands or gets scratched, you could end up wasting your luxury investment. Not only that, you will be remorseful about such accidents. Good things should be given best possible care. Buying the appropriate cool iphone 5 cases (http://www.myphonecase.com/collections/iphone-5) requires some research. You can get a cheap iPhone 5 case online, but make sure that it is a safe and reputable website like from us.

AlexP-050
Oct 2, 2013, 01:19 PM
I was a big fan of the waterproof durable cases - but this is a great case to consider!

Orange22
Oct 2, 2013, 04:21 PM
nicely made case. here is my own suggestion. Poetic phone cases is the one that I recommend.:cool:

calaverasgrande
Oct 5, 2013, 06:27 PM
$3 white bumper.
Best case ever.

SamanthaBeharry
Feb 20, 2014, 08:27 AM
I can't recommend the Vaultskin wallet case enough, it's not for everyone but it works for me. I had the iPhone 5 and recently upgraded to the iPhone 5s and it still fits! Result :)