PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my video?

Heb1228
Aug 29, 2005, 11:58 PM
You can go here to see it:

http://homepage.mac.com/heb1228/family/iMovieTheater46.html

Just wanted to know what some of you guys thought. Its about 5 min long so you might not want to watch the whole thing, but you can get the idea. Is the song too corny?

TheMonarch
Aug 30, 2005, 12:10 AM
Me likes. I think your family would really enjoy watching it. I thought the song fit the footage well IMO. What program did you use?

Heb1228
Aug 30, 2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks!! I used Final Cut Pro, but you could do the same thing in iMovie. (Other than a little color correction and picture enhancement here and there.)

neocell
Aug 30, 2005, 12:17 AM
Nice job
Thought I was watching the Wonder Years there for a second
Kind of cool what you can do now. I imagine the family will absolutely love it

faintember
Aug 30, 2005, 12:18 AM
Nice Job! Great song choice, and the video was cool in itself. Nice job working with the visual flow IMHO.

The only downside is it made me want to watch The Wonder Years! Man i love that show!

Heb1228
Aug 30, 2005, 12:20 AM
Nice Job! Great song choice, and the video was cool in itself. Nice job working with the visual flow IMHO.

The only downside is it made me want to watch The Wonder Years! Man i love that show!
Seriously! That has to be in the top 3 or 5 best shows ever made.

peterj1967
Aug 30, 2005, 08:19 AM
Very nice, what CODEC did you use on export?

mad jew
Aug 30, 2005, 08:24 AM
That's great. :)

My family's wanting me to do the same thing from some old footage but I'm pretty low on time at the moment. How long did it take you to whip up and about how long do you think it could take a novice comme moi?

iGary
Aug 30, 2005, 08:36 AM
I cried. :o

mad jew
Aug 30, 2005, 08:41 AM
I cried. :o

Yeah, I don't blame you. I was pretty close. That was a really sentimental clip. :o

g4cubed
Aug 30, 2005, 08:58 AM
Absolutely a great job. You've inspired me to try one myself.

macvac
Aug 31, 2005, 01:06 PM
My Granmother's house burned down in '92 before anyone had the opportunity to do that...great job and I'm sure it will be extremely special to all. :o

VanMac
Aug 31, 2005, 02:59 PM
Awesome Job.

I'm planning to do the same for a Christmas present for the folks. Sountrack was perfect....I may use that somewhere as well.

Cooknn
Aug 31, 2005, 03:10 PM
Great stuff. I was born just about that time. Well maybe a little after. I would guess that stuff was around '58, maybe early 60's. I would have loved to be like 30 years old during that time. Everyone seemed happier :o

rendezvouscp
Aug 31, 2005, 03:56 PM
I didn't bother to look at the codec, but it streamed really well for me. Oh, the video itself? ;) I could only wish that I had similar footage for my family. Very well done.
-Chase

rosalindavenue
Aug 31, 2005, 05:59 PM
That is a tremendous piece of work. I very much enjoyed watching it; I can only imagine what it must be like to watch it when you know who the people are. Very inspirational-- it may be time for me to start converting that drawer full of VHS-C tapes and editing.

Espnetboy3
Aug 31, 2005, 06:32 PM
First off I enjoyed it alot, I love that old 8mm film look. Secondly what did you use to convert the footage? A dv bridge or something or did u send it out to be converted? Also how much original footage did u start with.

pdpfilms
Aug 31, 2005, 06:58 PM
Good job.

Though i think the song might be a liiiiittle cliche.

Still good though, i absolutely LOVE 8mm footage.

berkleeboy210
Aug 31, 2005, 07:52 PM
The Wonder Years Theme!, I love that show!

xsedrinam
Aug 31, 2005, 07:56 PM
Heb,
Really nice work. Good pace and movement and it's a good song, it pops. Wonder Years, Christmas Story and a little October Sky nuance. That'll be a family treasure to keep...and share. Did you use Keynote for a skin?

biohazard6969
Aug 31, 2005, 08:39 PM
yea thats rele great!!! i loved the song choice.

i think your family will really love it

Mr. Anderson
Aug 31, 2005, 08:56 PM
Nice stuff - when was most of it shot? It made me wonder if all the video I'm taking today will have the same nostalgia feel in 40 years or so that that does today :D

D

Heb1228
Aug 31, 2005, 10:01 PM
Wow thanks guys, I never expected such a good response! There have been a lot of questions since I posted last so let me see if I can answer them...

For export I used 3ivx MPEG-4 codec, I've found that one gives me excellent results with small file sizes and it plays in Quicktime and on PCs in WMP natively. (And it encodes MUCH faster then H.264)

Most of the footage was shot between the years of about 1964-1974, with a few shots in the end from later, around 1978/9 or so.

How did I convert the footage? ;) Well what made it really easy was that my grandparents had their 8mm footage converted to VHS about 10 years ago, so I just grabbed it off a VHS tape. Went VCR->Camcorder as DV Bridge-> Powerbook.

macvac, Man I'm sorry to hear about losing your family's stuff in that fire. Thats the stuff you can't replace.

As for how long did it take? Well capturing the footage took about an 2 hours (set up plus 95 minutes of video). After that, I'd guess it took me about 3 hours. I think a lot of it depends on how much original footage you have and how long the final video need to be. Deciding what to leave out was difficult. After I went through and got all the potentially usable clips, I had about 9 minutes of footage, which I then had to shrink down to 5 min.

As with most video projects, it can take as much time as you want to spend tweaking, but at some point you just have to be happy with what you have. :D

Thanks again guys!

Cooknn
Aug 31, 2005, 10:02 PM
Revising my guess on the year! I didn't watch all the way through the first time. That car in the driveway looks like a '65 Falcon maybe? Anyways, I would have been 5 in 1965. Some of that footage looked familiar actually :eek:

Heb1228
Aug 31, 2005, 10:03 PM
Some of that footage looked familiar actually :eek:
Have you been watching my home movies? hehe j/k ;)

EDIT: and good guess on the year, see the post above yours.