Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello guys,

I was looking at my Activity Monitor and I see this process using 425MB of RAM... apart from Safari that is using 180MB by itself. Wha is this Safari Web Content process?... what is it doing really?.. it's the second process in line using the most memory. And what about kernel_task is using 1.07GB of ram.. :eek:

process.png

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello guys,

I was looking at my Activity Monitor and I see this process using 425MB of RAM... apart from Safari that is using 180MB by itself. Wha is this Safari Web Content process?... what is it doing really?.. it's the second process in line using the most memory. And what about kernel_task is using 1.07GB of ram.. :eek:

View attachment 368409

Thanks
It's the underlying WebKit engine. It's quite normal. I see you have Flash installed. Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
It's the underlying WebKit engine. It's quite normal. I see you have Flash installed. Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

So you recommend to uninstall flash?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Completely normal. All the browsers are RAM hogs. :(

but Safari and it's web content eat CPU as well.......

Have completely ditched Safari on OSX 10.8.2 and using Chrome - my MacBook now has free ram and runs about 15C cooler

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
It's simply Flash. Clicktoflash will save the day. I find that I only have to actually load Flash maybe once a week. The rest of the time, the HTML5 replacements do their job. I don't know why anyone would choose to use Chrome and have Flash load instead. The battery and heat savings with HTML5 are immense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.