Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papersushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Just saw Apple's new pilot program today, test drive a non-custom Mac mini for 30 Days between August 30, 2005, and October 31, 2005.

If you don't like it, just return it within 30 days. Awesome! Online or 1-800-MY-APPLE Only!

step1_promo_testdricebanner.gif

sd_testdrive_banner.gif

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
cool offer, except i already know i want one!! but i wonder why apple is doing something like this. seems like something a company would do b/c noone knew the company exisisted. but everyone knows about apple, just not much about the computers. i doubt too many people will return it though b/c they will all fall in-love with the OS. the only people i think will return it are M$ people that send it back just to piss off apple. intersting concept.

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Chip NoVaMac said:
Sounds like the Mac mini is not selling well, even after the update. This may be the thing to get more people interested.
actually the mac mini is selling really strong right now, apple wants to convert people and that is the reason

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Everyone wants to find trouble with a company, but it isn't there. It actually shows a confidence. Apple is selling lots of Mac Minis, just see how they rank on Amazon, for an example.

However, this will push even more people to try it out. This way they will not have to worry that they won't like it, or their keyboard won't work, or whatever his or her concerns might be. They can get it, open the box, and still be able to return it.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Hahaha... just the other day someone said that Apple tried this test program twenty years ago, it was a disaster, and they'd never try it again :p

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I agree with Powerbook911 - I think this is less desperation than confident marketing.

I suspect that Apple's real goal here is to get people to switch to OS X; The Mini is a low-cost way to get people to try the OS. Once hooked, they hope people will go to the Apple store and buy a more expensive Mac, or at least buy the Mini and increased OS X's installed base.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
:( I didn't weigh in with my actual opinion...

Ah, for what it's worth, I think this is a great idea. It's how NordicTrak and every other exercise machine-manufacturer in the country make their money. I'm not talking about winning hearts and minds here, I just mean that people are too lazy to return ****.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.