PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here going to sell their iPad when the Microsoft Surface comes out?

waa1futs
Oct 10, 2012, 11:19 PM
I am debating this myself and wondered if anyone else was?

http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/publishingimages/new/hero.jpg

The main draw for me has been that amazing magnetic cover/keyboard/trackpad :-O

adamdr3420
Oct 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
I was debating this also! But just like any gadget or Microsoft product for that matter you just can't make any hasty decisions till it's released and you can actually get your hands on a demo model in the store to make sure it will fit your needs or read some reviews of what other people think of the product. I googled the S*%@ out of the surface tab when i first heard about it and the expectations seemed to be 50/50. Definately worth investigating further.

lulla01
Oct 10, 2012, 11:34 PM
Ill wait for reviews but I may have to pick one up.

eastercat
Oct 11, 2012, 12:42 AM
I voted no, because microsoft's past history has shown it doesn't have good luck with first gen products.

BTW, what's the point of a trackpad if you have a touch sensitive surface? :confused:

wordoflife
Oct 11, 2012, 12:49 AM
Nope.

I'm sure its good, but I don't think it can compete with the iPad right now, especially when it comes to third party.

waa1futs
Oct 11, 2012, 12:50 AM
BTW, what's the point of a trackpad if you have a touch sensitive surface? :confused:

That's easy, so you don't have to constantly type on the physical keyboard -> then reach to the top of your tablet to click something -> type on the physical keyboard -> then reach to the top of your tablet to click something -> over and over and over and over and over and over etc.

Sure a couple of times of this reaching up to use the touchscreen is fine, but after awhile it gets tiresome and having a trackpad in the same general location as the keyboard is much nicer than having to always reach up to use the touchscreen.

Plus its more precise on what you click and it keeps your screen from looking like a fingerprint mess.

Night Spring
Oct 11, 2012, 01:31 AM

That keyboard cover would be amazing IF it worked, but so far nobody has touched a working model. I'm also not convinced if there will be enough apps avaiable for Win8, and if the apps that are avaiable would be easy to use and sufficiently useful. I'll just quietly sit on the sidelines and wait until all the kinks are worked out in Win9 -- if Microsoft ever gets that far.

Taimaru
Oct 11, 2012, 01:50 AM
I would never buy a Microsoft Surface as I have no need for one so the only way I would ever own one is if someone gave me a Surface as a gift. Unfortunately I don't have family or friends who give me expensive gifts :p.

My iPad does everything I want it to do and I'm very happy with it. It's one of the best things I've every bought.

I don't particularly like the Windows 8 interface, which doesn't mean it's not good, it's just not to my personal liking. I don't and never will use Microsoft Office at home so I have no need for a tablet which runs it.

But I am sure, however, that some people will enjoy it.

MiniMoke
Oct 11, 2012, 02:15 AM
NEVER going to buy this thing, to me it looks like a toy!

I like my iPad, and the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard takes charge of all my typing needs perfectly and it's beautiful with the iPad.

As for the trackpad, well, those last months I quite often found myself reaching up to use the non existent touchscreen of my MacBook Pro..... that's how much I have become used to my iPad.

Booji
Oct 11, 2012, 02:50 AM
I'm going to check it out, but wait for at least a few months until after its out so I can see the real world stories.

What is compelling is the ability to use MS Office full function. PowerPoint and Excel on the iPad sucks without a mouse or touchpad (I use QuickOffice Pro).

Menneisyys2
Oct 11, 2012, 03:13 AM
I don't think I'd buy the Surface RT - plain (not even Full, let alone 2k 4:3) HD is simply too low a screen resolution.

TinyBFK
Oct 11, 2012, 03:14 AM
Nope.

Icaras
Oct 11, 2012, 03:15 AM
Not a chance. :cool:

stuaz
Oct 11, 2012, 03:39 AM
Would love that cover/keyboard for my ipad :(

colshine
Oct 11, 2012, 03:57 AM
As with any new gadget I'm interested in seeing what it can do but I have no plans to replace my iPad.

HowardSmith
Oct 11, 2012, 05:16 AM
No doubt I will be getting a Surface, want the Surface Pro but will get what ever at first to check it out.

Not selling the iPads, YET!:rolleyes:

Looking forward to the surface for field use. The iPad is great but still held on too short of a Apple /iTunes leash!

WilliamLondon
Oct 11, 2012, 05:47 AM
Are we certain the Surface will, in fact, "surface"? This close to purported release date and some of the specs still aren't known? That's very unlike Microsoft, isn't it? The MS website still says, "Coming Soon" even though they've confirmed it'll be launched same time as W8, the 26th of October. Not much hype for this new product, and that's very unlike them too.

Perhaps they're trying to be more like Apple, where they announce products when they're actually ready and available for sale. That would be a very good move, one I highly support.

iapplelove
Oct 11, 2012, 05:53 AM
i'm selling my iPad 3

when the ipad 4 comes out

zunex
Oct 11, 2012, 06:10 AM
I would easily say never when I still don't have chance to test the "Surface". But pretty sure it will not make me happy as my iPad has done.

urkel
Oct 11, 2012, 07:34 AM
I bought an iPad 3 at launch and sold it 2mo later for $700 and went back to my iPad 2. That money has been sitting there waiting to be spent so IF MS gives a decent pricepoint on the Windows RT model then I'd likely buy one.

In no way am I saying MS has caught up to Apple, but Microsoft seems to have gotten some clarity on their future (finally) and Apple seems to be slowing down so I may have to go back to using both platforms again.

Medic311
Oct 11, 2012, 07:36 AM
Why so much hate? The more competition the better, and the MS Surface brings feature to their tablet that we have to jailbreak our iPads to have. Why not embrace the competition since chances are, it will force Apple to listen to what consumers want and not what they think we would want.

I am interested to know what the full-version Windows 8 Surface tablet will be like. If it really is a laptop replacement, then sure I'll buy one. I won't be one of the early adopters quite yet - I would wait to make sure developers sign on board with them.

h1r0ll3r
Oct 11, 2012, 08:47 AM
I love mah iPad 3. The Surface looks sorta gimmicky. That and I don't trust first gen Microsoft products. I've been playing around with Win 8 now and it's kinda cool but not really my thing. Like most, I'll probably wait to hear some reviews/feedback on it but I don't foresee myself paying for one any time soon.

GerritV
Oct 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
No sir, not in my lifetime.

Aspasia
Oct 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
One thing I love about my iPad is that I don't have to do the daily update dance with the AV definitions, firewall, anti-malware, and other security software that runs on my Windows machine. Not to mention paying annual fees to keep the software updated.

I enjoy playing in Apple's walled garden, so the only thing that may replace my current iPad is a newer model down the road.

Breaking Good
Oct 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
The concept of the MS Surface tablet looks very promising. I just doubt Microsoft's ability to actually deliver.

Microsoft has a history of producing crap. I find it difficult to believe they will break this tradition with the Surface tablet.

They should have stuck with producing software and let Samsung and Asus produce and design tablets.

tyche
Oct 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
I thought about it and figured if I did get one, I'd want an Intel chip so in theory I could run any of my existing Windows software. But it looked like the price was going to hit $1000 or more and then I thought I don't really run Windows software anymore so what do I need a $1000 tablet for?

Plus I just hate that UI.

PortableLover
Oct 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
Nope, having a windows tablet in theory would be a good idea for me. I design a lot of photoshop art, as well as produce game/animation assets, however I prefer to do work like that on a larger screen machine that has more power.

I think the surface brings us much closers to the idea of having tablets replace laptops in most respects. An Intel i5 dual core, comes even closer to breaking the idea that tablets aren't faster or fast as laptops. The HD 4000 in a tablet is making tablets even closer to PCs. I think the idea of surface should be fairly exciting..

OSMac
Oct 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
Downloaded the enterprise Win8 RTM 90 day demo.
Installed the Splashtop Win8 app for the iPad.
Tried win8 on my desktop and on the iPad.

Hope MS has a plan B.

Skika
Oct 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
Its like asking me, if i will sell my Macbook Pro when windows 8 comes out :rolleyes:

Patriks7
Oct 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
It looks very interesting, but I'm very happy with the Apple ecosystem and just put aside 1,000 for an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Maybe once there's a 2nd gen I"ll give it a try :)

iF34R
Oct 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
Definitely not getting one of these. I have a laptop already.

willmtaylor
Oct 11, 2012, 02:29 PM

Image (http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/publishingimages/new/hero.jpg)

Seeing as we don't know when, how much, or how it'll even perform, how could anyone answer this question?!?!

I answered "**** no!" BTW. :D

Michael Goff
Oct 11, 2012, 03:15 PM
Downloaded the enterprise Win8 RTM 90 day demo.
Installed the Splashtop Win8 app for the iPad.
Tried win8 on my desktop and on the iPad.

Hope MS has a plan B.

I would guess their Plan B is to not worry about somebody who thinks a splashtop will give them any indication of how well it runs.

That's probably their Plan A, C, and every other letter, too.

Edit: As for the desktop, well, personal preference.

But people who have used actual tablets say that it's nice on a touch screen.

ChazUK
Oct 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
No, no and thrice no.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 11, 2012, 03:23 PM
&#%$ no!

Michael Goff
Oct 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
What is the point of a poll like this anyway?

60% of people on here will vote some version of no, maybe more than that.

They're on a site called "MacRumors".

Not saying the poll should be deleted or anything, just wondering if anyone actually believes yes will have any chance.

TheHateMachine
Oct 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Yup, I will, in fact in the process of doing it already. I hardly use my iPad anymore... it just sits in my backpack. If i ever surf the web or check my work email I just use my phone off my night stand.

This will replace my work laptop... however I have to wait until the Pro version comes out. Newer i5 Ivy with a better intergrated GPU than my current laptop which runs GW2 and my other games just fine. Its going to be pretty nice.

iClive
Oct 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
A resounding no way! from me :apple:

SHirsch999
Oct 11, 2012, 04:49 PM

Image (http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/publishingimages/new/hero.jpg)

Odds are a 3rd party manufacturer will create a similar cover for the iPad

Technarchy
Oct 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
No need. The iPad is the better tablet because it doesn't think it's a laptop.

I've never liked the jack of all trades, master of none approach.

If I want a laptop, I'd consider a proper Windows 8 laptop...

Sensamic
Oct 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
I'll wait until I can try one in person but yes, that's my plan. I hope the surface and Windows 8 are as good as I expect.

I need more from a tablet than what the iPad and ios can offer.

waa1futs
Oct 11, 2012, 06:45 PM
Odds are a 3rd party manufacturer will create a similar cover for the iPad

I would say that is highly unlikely.

3rd party accessory manufacturers have had 3 generations to do this already and haven't.

Not to mention the fact that the iPad doesn't eek have the proper hardware connectors to add an accessory trackpad.

Not happening.

ReanimationN
Oct 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
I don't have an iPad, but I may sell my Nexus 7 for a Surface when they're released.

flameproof
Oct 11, 2012, 11:15 PM
Nope.

Why sell the iPad? In my country it's not forbidden to have both.

----------

I don't have an iPad, but I may sell my Nexus 7 for a Surface when they're released.

After MS Surface comes out I consider to sell my microwave. They are not in the same group of products and target market, same as yours.

ReanimationN
Oct 12, 2012, 02:02 AM
Nope.

Why sell the iPad? In my country it's not forbidden to have both.

----------

After MS Surface comes out I consider to sell my microwave. They are not in the same group of products and target market, same as yours.
...They're both tablets. I'm not exceptionally wealthy, so I don't want one device sitting around doing nothing when I could have money in my pocket instead.

M87
Oct 12, 2012, 02:21 AM
bidenlaughing.jpg

nba1341
Oct 12, 2012, 10:14 PM
Giant ipod versus fully functional windows 8 computer.

I'll choose the fully functional computer

verwon
Oct 12, 2012, 10:16 PM
Good god NO!!!

Faux Carnival
Oct 13, 2012, 03:00 PM

Night Spring
Oct 13, 2012, 05:08 PM

I already have *two* fully functional computers -- my iMac and MacBook Air.

The iPad is my "always with me" device. In bed, on the sofa, going out... It"s a device I turn to when a fully functional computer is not needed, but I want to quickly access the Internet, or read a few more chapters of my latest book.

Now the idea of Surface and other Win8 hybrid devices are that they supposedly will combine the functions of an Air and the iPad. Well, my Air has a 13 inch screen, and I dont like the idea of using a laptop with a smaller screen, so because of that, I don't find the notion of using the Surface in laptop mode that attractive. As an iPad substitute, Win8 is yet unproven as a tablet platform. So, all in all, I'm in "wait and see" mode with Win8. If Microsoft makes it work, great. But I won't be an early adapter.

Agent-P
Oct 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
I voted yes, and it seems like I'm in the minority here (which I expected, given the site we're on). As soon as preorders were announced for the Surface, I put my iPad up for sale. I already have an Xbox and a Windows Phone, so that integration with SmartGlass and stuff will be nice.

lulla01
Oct 17, 2012, 05:45 PM
I think I'll sell my iPad if I like the iPad mini