PDA

View Full Version : Dual processor PowerMac G4 Kit : To buy or not to buy..?

Maxwar
Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 PM
Well, hello all, new here. Would like advice about a Computer for sale.
Someone in my town sells a pretty nice Power Mac G4 computer kit.
Im a bit thorn about it. I think its a nice kit, but was not really looking for it. I mmerely stumbled upon it.
I collect all sorts of computers and also like to use them.

Heres a translation from the original add:
I sell my old file server: dual 1Ghz PowerMac, 1.5Gb RAM, 2 x 150GB disk + 1 x 300GB and Superdrive. ATI Radeon 9000 64MB DVI + ADC. 10/100/1000 NIC, 2 USB + Card 4 x USB 2.0 + 2 x Firewire 400. Runs great on Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard Server, but will be redone in regular Leopard for sale. Leaves with Apple Cinema Display 22 "ADC and ADC to DVI adapter + to connect the screen on any computer. Keyboard and mouse and includes original Leopard disk. The case of the computer has a few aesthetic grafignes of the use, but nothing dramatic. machine to Belle as a file server to house a computer to surf the net.

Ok so basically thats

-Dual 1 ghz proc G4
-1,5 gb ram
-600 gb HDDs
-Ati radeon 9000 64mb ( DVI and ADC )
-Gigabit Nic
-USB 2.0 Card
-Original OSX Disks
-Whatever DVD, CD drives comes with the computer.
-22" LCD monitor ( Cinema display )
-Keyboard+ Mouse
-DVI -> ADC official Apple Adapter

Seller says everything is working great. From the pictures stuff looks mint. Guy Ask 250$ to deliver it to my door. ( might be bargainable )

-To buy or not to buy?
-Good price or not?
-I think i could use it as a "portable" AV capture station, using a Matrox RTmac capture card. ( bought separately ).
-Would make a nice addition to my collection?
-What you guys think?

Intell
Oct 10, 2012, 11:55 PM
A better place to ask this may be the PowerPC sub-forum. If you want, you can have a moderator move your thread there. To request a move, click on the triangular report icon on the first post of this thread and request that the thread be moved to the PowerPC section.

Maxwar
Oct 10, 2012, 11:59 PM
A better place to ask this may be the PowerPC sub-forum. If you want, you can have a moderator move your thread there. To request a move, click on the triangular report icon on the first post of this thread and request that the thread be moved to the PowerPC section.

Actually i thought i was posting on the PowerPC subforum... Must have made a silly wrong-click somewhere, ill do as you suggested, thanks. Sry for the mishap.

orestes1984
Oct 11, 2012, 05:59 AM
I ask myself whether I have a use for it and in that case justify it as not just being a piece of junk I'm collecting. I can justify my Xserve G5 on the fact that its still a reliable file/iTunes server, I don't know that I could justify a mirror drive door G4. It's never really going to be worth much as a computer, they're more likely to fade away into obscurity the way pre G3 macs have now. If you have a use for it then buy it, if you're just saving a machine from fading away into obscurity then consider other options and if its still tempting, buy it.