Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I noticed the following games have dropped in price by 50% in the App Store in the last few hours, I guess there is a sale on id software games?

Here is the games I have noticed with a 50% price drop:
Doom 3 $5
Quake 4 $10
Rage $15

Not sure if there are others.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
I have them all and can recommend Rage (Windows) nowadays. It has more story than the other two. It runs great on my iMac 24".

Doom 3 (Mac) and Quake 4 (Mac) are simple old school-shooters. I can run them on my MacBook Air late 2011 on highest settings.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Yep, all 3 are on sale through next Wed on the Mac App Store and our newly revamped gameagent.com

If you have to choose just one ;), my vote is Doom 3 at $5. Super cheap, and I still get scared playing that game in the dark.

flindet

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
Ah, finally, I get to cash in on the sale while it's still active! How do you all find out about these deals? I feel like they're kept secret or something.

I already have Doom and Quake for GNU/Linux (that's right, I'm one of the 3 people that bought it.. hahah), but at these prices I'll be picking up the Mac version too. Never did get around to playing the new Quake anyway...

I've Rage on Steam, but I'm so lazy to reboot that I still haven't started that one either. I'll go ahead and pick up the Mac version of that too.

laetusviator

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
I have Rage for Xbox 360. I would say it is so-so... I got it for $10, which I think was the right price to be honest.

... I've Rage on Steam, but I'm so lazy to reboot that I still haven't started that one either. ...

I hear ya... it's funny how much friction there is in rebooting. (I'd like to think it means I spend less time playing games, but it just means I play my mac games more). :p

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
I also have Rage on Steam, but I bought the Mac App Store Version to try it running on my MacBook Air late 2011. If it isn't running, I also have an iMac for that case.

I always had problems with running the Windows version of Rage. I hope the Mac port runs better.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Yep, all 3 are on sale through next Wed on the Mac App Store and our newly revamped gameagent.com

If you have to choose just one ;), my vote is Doom 3 at $5. Super cheap, and I still get scared playing that game in the dark.

Thanks for putting these great titles on sale. I own all three on Steam and had started enjoying RAGE, which I think is a great game, but I think I'll replace them for native Mac versions. I hate rebooting too.

Thanks especially for putting them on the Mac App store. I prefer to buy games either there or on Steam.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I hear ya... it's funny how much friction there is in rebooting. (I'd like to think it means I spend less time playing games, but it just means I play my mac games more). :p

Heh, I must play games differently. I spend all day working in OSX, then I switch over to Windows for gaming in the evening. That said rebooting doesn't take more than 60 seconds on my i7 iMac.

Does anyone know if ID games are Steamplay enabled? I'm not going to rebuy them on the Mac App Store.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
I can confirm, Rage is running on my MacBook Air late 2011 (i7, 4 GB) on low settings and is still looking fantastic. If you look fast around with the mouse, the textures start loading in higher resolution, but this doesn't bother me! I've an iMac too, if I get any problems later in the game.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I liked Rage, but Borderlands was so much better.

Borderlands with DLC costs a bit more, but it will take you literally a metric forever longer to finish.

You'll finish it right when BL2 comes out for Mac late 2013.

flindet

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
Picked `em up last night. Just wanted to say thanks to Richdmoore for posting the sale. Keep it up! :)

----------

Does anyone know if ID games are Steamplay enabled? I'm not going to rebuy them on the Mac App Store.

The three games mentioned here are NOT Steamplay enabled. Bummer. I'm not certain, but I don't believe any of the id games are.

Be aware that Rage for Mac is limited in that I'm pretty sure there is no multiplayer. So, if multiplayer is important, you'll probably want to go with the bootcamp version, but look into it to be sure. I'd love to be wrong about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.