Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon P D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Hello, I have a question about the new iPod Touch...

On the news article it says...

The move to using the same 4-inch display found in the iPhone 5 is a huge upgrade for the iPod touch, given that the previous model used a display that was inferior to the one used in the iPhone 4

I have seen this in other places before as well but I can't work out exactly how it is better?

I looked on the tech specs and the iPhone 4/iPod 4g both have the 960x640 screen and the 5's both have the 1136x640.

I know I am an idiot but can someone explain how the screens mentioned are actually better?

Thanks!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
The previous/old iPod Touch used a inferior screen to the iPhone 4. Sure it has the same resolution and size, but that's where the similarities end.

The new Touch and iPhone now apparently use exactly the same screen.

Jon P D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Sure it has the same resolution and size, but that's where the similarities end.

Thanks just what I was wondering :)

Do you know what the differences are? Are they noticeable by normal users?

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks just what I was wondering :)

Do you know what the differences are? Are they noticeable by normal users?

The iPhone 4/4S screen had far, far better color reproduction. Colors were more vibrant and saturated. Contrast on the iPhone was also way higher - blacks on my 4th gen iPod touch are distinctly bright and grey, whereas the iPhone has much deeper blacks. Viewing angles were also phenomenally better - the iPhones used an IPS screen, the 4th gen touch used a TN panel. Notice when you look at your 4th gen touch's display from any angle but straight on, everything looks awful? iPhone 4s and 4Ses didn't have that problem.

This year the 5th gen touch finally got the same higher-quality display as the iPhone.

jpdunford

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
Thanks a lot :)

Yeah I notice on my iPod 4G the blacks don't look properly black, just thought that was normal rofl.

I guess I will take it down to the Apple store when I go buy my new iPhone and see the difference :D

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
sorry guys but iFixit says the screen is NOT the same as the iPhone's. Apple has pulled the same dirty trick as they did on the Touch gen4
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod+Touch+5th+Generation+Teardown/10803/1
"When comparing the Touch to the iPhone 5 display assembly, it's apparent that this is a much simpler, cheaper design, despite Apple claiming the two have very similar functionality."
It was too good to be true. :mad:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
sorry guys but iFixit says the screen is NOT the same as the iPhone's. Apple has pulled the same dirty trick as they did on the Touch gen4
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod+Touch+5th+Generation+Teardown/10803/1
"When comparing the Touch to the iPhone 5 display assembly, it's apparent that this is a much simpler, cheaper design, despite Apple claiming the two have very similar functionality."
It was too good to be true. :mad:

They are saying it's the assembly (The whole of the front, including home button, a speaker that is only present in the iPhone, and microphones) that is simpler and cheaper, not the screen itself.

This is backed up by the sentence below it, stating that it is of cheaper build quality, not an inferior screen:

"In our recent iPhone 5 teardown, we praised Apple for designing a stronger home button. The iPod Touch 5th Generation, however, is another story.

We were somewhat disappointed with the weaker, rubber-membrane design of the iPod Touch's home button."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.