Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
It's "currently unavailable in iOS 6" according to a support document. You can still gift apps from iTunes on your mac.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Thanks. This is disappointing and Apple is loosing sales over this. I wonder why they did that. I can't access my Mac from 90% of my day and when I'm home it's the last thing on my mind.

I hope they fix this. Thanks for the info.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks. This is disappointing and Apple is loosing sales over this. I wonder why they did that. I can't access my Mac from 90% of my day and when I'm home it's the last thing on my mind.

I hope they fix this. Thanks for the info.

I do not think it was taken away for any other reason than a programming issue. I mean, why would they take it away otherwise?

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
No disrespect for Apple but I think they really messed up with this new App store.
Searching is a nightmare and now the Gifting option. I love the fact that I can view screen shots full screen again but that is the only thing I like about it.
It seems like they didn’t do proper QC or User acceptance testing before they released the Maps and App store.

I have always been a windows guy and tried the MAC a couple of times. Once with the coloured iMacs that looked like a Boob tube. And in Feb I took a huge chance running up my CC on a new 15” MBP. All because I love the iOS. Now I’m hooked but in that short time apple seems to be loosing it. :(

----------

One more messed up thing (Which is going to hurt them more than help) is the fact they separated the gift cards between the App store and the Music/Video store.
My brother in-law had to choose the App store over the music one and Apple will lose sales over it.

matt84uk

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Just noticed in one of the Apps I have you can gift it via the "share" menu within the App itself - Solar Walk - for anyone interested

Pressing this boots you out to the AppStore and allows sharing as before - for this specific App.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
I don't have this in the app I wish to gift.
It's called Zombieville 2.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
...I think they really messed up with this new App store.
Searching is a nightmare and now the Gifting option. I love the fact that I can view screen shots full screen again but that is the only thing I like about it.
It seems like they didn’t do proper QC or User acceptance testing before they released the Maps and App store.

I have always been a windows guy and tried the MAC a couple of times. Once with the coloured iMacs that looked like a Boob tube. And in Feb I took a huge chance running up my CC on a new 15” MBP. All because I love the iOS. Now I’m hooked but in that short time apple seems to be loosing it. :(

----------

One more messed up thing (Which is going to hurt them more than help) is the fact they separated the gift cards between the App store and the Music/Video store.
My brother in-law had to choose the App store over the music one and Apple will lose sales over it.

I completely agree! And what I really don't understand is that Apple prides itself on an integrated look and feel- things are supposed to flow seamlessly with barriers to that kind of 'flow' eliminated.
Now, instead of a MORE integrated system, it's more fractured than ever.
And not being able to gift an app to someone is just plain stupid...:(

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Can't gift apps or songs, can't delete songs from your iDevice, battery life (at least on the iPhone 4) is the worse I have ever seen, Maps blow....nice upgrade iOS 6 is Apple, good job! Yep, I am a bit disapointed to say the least.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
[/COLOR]One more messed up thing (Which is going to hurt them more than help) is the fact they separated the gift cards between the App store and the Music/Video store.

Is this confirmed?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
No disrespect for Apple but I think they really messed up with this new App store.

Not to mention the constant nagging popup to download Apple apps I already have almost every time I enter the App Store.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
You can still gift apps in iOS 6! I was able to do it today but I didn't send the app to anyone because I just tried it.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

That just looks like a fancy new designed Gift Card to promote various Stores. It doesn't say you can only use it at the specific store. I could see no reason why Apple would separate them.

Edit: Here straight from the horse mouth.
"They have actually had those cards for about the last 2 or 3 years and they did have the different items listed however they work for everything.
They have since redone the cards for a new look in the last 4 months.
"

Last edited:

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Yeah I said that. Thanks
You can even see on the App store card that it says you can buy music with it.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
They removed the visible links to gift apps but the backend is still there.

You can use the following url to gift an app, just replace the APP_ID. You can see the APP_ID easily by using the Mail option in the share sheet of an app page in the App Store. It should be a series of numbers.

Code:
itms-appss://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/giftSongsWizard?gift=1&salableAdamId=APP_ID&productType=C&pricingParameter=STDQ&mt=8&ign-mscache=1

This only works with apps and not songs, albums, etc. since those never had UI for gifting on iOS.

The removal of this feature and the lack of inclusion of song gifting since the first iPhone could possibly be patent related although if someone else had this patented I believe Apple would have licensed it. It might be that they are completely revamping the gifting system along iTunes 11.

Let's hope we get this back and possibly song gifting for the first time soon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.