PDA

View Full Version : File not visible in Finder until spotlight search or reboot

gowanis
Oct 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
I have a weird situation where occasionally I will grab a file from usenet and I cannot see it in Finder. When I search using spotlight, I find the file. When I choose to open the containing folder, the file appears, along with other "missing" files. What's going on ?

DoctorCrap
Oct 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
You better be sure whether it is Finder on OS X 10.8 or your source of the downloads having the problem.

gowanis
Oct 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
The problem is with Finder. The program I am using to retrieve the file completes its process successfully. When I look at the output folder, the file is not there. If I search using spotlight, the file IS found, and when I choose to open the containing folder (from spotlight), the file magically appears in the already open Finder folder.

GGJstudios
Oct 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
The problem is with Finder. The program I am using to retrieve the file completes its process successfully. When I look at the output folder, the file is not there. If I search using spotlight, the file IS found, and when I choose to open the containing folder (from spotlight), the file magically appears in the already open Finder folder.
Try re-indexing your drive:
Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409)
If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"

gowanis
Oct 15, 2012, 03:37 PM
I was unable to reproduce my problem until yesterday. I tried the Spotlight re-index and it worked, thank you.

Is this a common problem? Why does this happen?