PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen or 5th gen for 10yr old

ddublu
Oct 11, 2012, 09:28 AM
My daughter has been saving for a 4th gen iPod Touch. I've always been one to by most current tech (and she knows it). Her birthday is in 9 days and I was thinking about adding the $40 or so dollars that she is short to get her the 5g. She has a really old iPod Touch that doesn't even support iOS 5 so both will be a significant upgrade. Thoughts?

soco
Oct 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
It's really a cheap upgrade, just go for the current generation model.

ddublu
Oct 11, 2012, 09:34 AM
It's really a cheap upgrade, just go for the current generation model.

Another $100 right + lightening converter. Don't mind the extra cost but that's how I thought it was priced.

jeremiah239
Oct 11, 2012, 09:41 AM
I would go with the 5th gen, bigger screen more storage, and I'm sure she will like to have the better quality camera if she is anything like my 12 year old sister.

Plus the colors are cool for a little girl, and those iPod straps are pretty neat.

Thetonyk123
Oct 11, 2012, 09:45 AM
Yes buy the 5g, in the long run it will more updates and will be better.

Also the camera is better and the screen is bigger so that is a good reason to buy it.

617aircav
Oct 11, 2012, 09:51 AM
Get the 5th even just for the camera alone. The 4th has a camera that is totally, I mean totally useless for any photos that you do not intend on keeping. Screen size difference is negligible.

dcorban
Oct 11, 2012, 09:59 AM
There is no contest here. I have a daughter turning seven next month and I ordered the new iPod. Why?

Better camera
Better CPU
Better screen
Color choice

In my opinion, the screen along is worth the cost. Why buy a device that is immediately unable to display apps as the size they are, or soon will be, intended? The camera was also critical. I was considering getting her a standalone digital camera, but this new iPod is probably better overall for its ease of use.

trundley
Oct 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
a 10yr old shouldn't have pricey kit like iPod Touches, kids dont seem to understand that stuff "costs a lot"

ddublu
Oct 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
a 10yr old shouldn't have pricey kit like iPod Touches, kids dont seem to understand that stuff "costs a lot"

I'll be the one to make that decision. My daughter is learning about responsibility and technology - two things that prepare her greatly for the future.

OSMac
Oct 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
My daughter has been saving for a 4th gen iPod Touch. I've always been one to by most current tech (and she knows it). Her birthday is in 9 days and I was thinking about adding the $40 or so dollars that she is short to get her the 5g. She has a really old iPod Touch that doesn't even support iOS 5 so both will be a significant upgrade. Thoughts?

Go for the new gen, watch the smile on her face, they grow up too fast...

Winnychan213
Oct 11, 2012, 01:05 PM
Go for the fourth generation, she isn't going to cherish it. 299 dollars is too much for a kid anyways. Hell, i say 199 is too much for her anyways, if I am you, i will buy her the 39 dollars Sansa clip+ for audio and a nano for video. Clip+ has been praised for being bang for the buck and still have great sound quality.

ddublu
Oct 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
go for the fourth generation, she isn't going to cherish it. 299 dollars is too much for a kid anyways. Hell, i say 199 is too much for her anyways, if I am you, i will buy her the 39 dollars Sansa clip+ for audio and a nano for video. Clip+ has been praised for being bang for the buck and still have great sound quality.

The point of my question was to determine if there was a dramatic difference between the two devices not to ask financial opinions. I appreciate everyone's advice - I'm going for the 5g for her.

Oct 11, 2012, 01:12 PM
I'll be the one to make that decision. My daughter is learning about responsibility and technology - two things that prepare her greatly for the future.

A bad decision imo

You've already taught her that she only needs to save towards part of an items cost as someone else will pay the rest!... You in this case

Winnychan213
Oct 11, 2012, 01:14 PM
The point of my question was to determine if there was a dramatic difference between the two devices not to ask financial opinions. I appreciate everyone's advice - I'm going for the 5g for her.

Even if she really want a 5th generation, I think there are better things to buy with 299 dollars. How about a Nexus 7 (16GB) for 258 dollars? You can add another 39 dollars for the Sansa clip+ and it would amount to be the same price as a 5th gen touch. Not only the Nexus has quad core, it has a 7 inch screen unlike the touch, the sound quality is terrible for Nexus, that is where the clip+ is going to shine. If the storage is still not enough for her, don't forget that she still got the old itouch, so she is not going to waste a perfectly good product.

The only thing that matters now is does she really need the camera or not?

NewbieCanada
Oct 11, 2012, 01:14 PM

If you haven't discussed it with her yet, make your announcement at the last minute. Major "cool dad" points are yours for the taking.

stiligFox
Oct 11, 2012, 01:15 PM

Good choice. For only 50 dollars more, she will get much more use out of it.

I had a 2nd gen that's lasted 4 years. The 4th gen is already 2 years old and will be totally out of date in two more.

----------

A bad decision imo

You've already taught her that she only needs to save towards part of an items cost as someone else will pay the rest!... You in this case

Dude, it's a birthday gift. Plus the OP has started teaching her early -- there is still plenty of time to engrain "paying for the whole thing" in her before she's fully grown up.

NewbieCanada
Oct 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
A bad decision imo

So dads are not allowed to buy their daughters birthday presents in your world?

Oct 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
So dads are not allowed to buy their daughters birthday presents in your world?

In this particular case the daughter was learning the value of saving to buy a luxury item and purchasing it via her own means... Then daddy cut in and just paid for the rest himself... Not a great lesson at all

The father should have purchased a birthday gift that was unrelated to this.

ddublu
Oct 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
In this particular case the daughter was learning the value of saving to buy a luxury item and purchasing it via her own means... Then daddy cut in and just paid for the rest himself... Not a great lesson at all

After seeing your post history it all makes sense now. I would appreciate it if you could just not reply anymore. You are of no help.

Oct 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
After seeing your post history it all makes sense now. I would appreciate it if you could just not reply anymore. You are of no help.

I am trying to help you... You just dont like what i am saying.

Best of luck with your decision.

ddublu
Oct 11, 2012, 01:28 PM

In this particular case my daughter has received birthday money from relatives she was fortunate enough to spend time with this past weekend that she wont see on her birthday. Part of our birthday present to her will be the extra $40-$50 that she will be short.

----------

I am trying to help you... You just dont like what i am saying.

Best of luck with your decision.

Nice work up-voting yourself. You are right - I don't like what you are saying.

ninaco
Oct 11, 2012, 01:35 PM
Not every 10 year old would really appreciate the 5G touch But, it sounds like your daughter would. She's already shown she can take care of the device. I think pitching in the rest of the money is a great idea. She'll be satisfied with the latest touch longer than she would be with a 4G with dated technology & an inferior camera.

LadyX
Oct 11, 2012, 01:43 PM

What is the matter with you? It's his daughter, I don't see why he can't pay the rest, there's no problem with that at all.

OP, I say go for the iPod Touch 5G, she'll love the colors and it's a huge improvement over the 4G iPod Touch :)

Winnychan213
Oct 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
What is the matter with you? It's his daughter, I don't see why he can't pay the rest, there's no problem with that at all.

OP, I say go for the iPod Touch 5G, she'll love the colors and it's a huge improvement over the 4G iPod Touch :)
The only worries I got is how much better the sound quality is from the 4th gen to the 5th gen? Sometimes newer product for apple doesn't mean better, for example, the 5th generation ipod video uses wolfson audio, but Apple decided to drop it on the 6th generation. Not to mention the 5th generation is already outdated with only A5 chip and 512MB of ram, I fear that the even the most current generation of ipod touch is not going last that many more update cycles. Nexus 7 on the other hand has quad core cpu, 1GB of ram and has a 7 inch of screen, benchmark has shown that it is only barely slower than the iphone 5 and selling for only 258 (16GB version)

LadyX
Oct 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
The only worries I got is how much better the sound quality is from the 4th gen to the 5th gen? Sometimes newer product for apple doesn't mean better, for example, the 5th generation ipod video uses wolfson audio, but Apple decided to drop it on the 6th generation. Not to mention the 5th generation is already outdated with only A5 chip and 512MB of ram, I fear that the even the most current generation of ipod touch is not going last that many more update cycles. Nexus 7 on the other hand has quad core cpu, 1GB of ram and has a 7 inch of screen, benchmark has shown that it is only barely slower than the iphone 5 and selling for only 258 (16GB version)

The 5G has a better display, an A5 processor which means it will be fast, RAM is double that of the 4G, the camera and the battery have been improved. In short, the 5G has a much better camera, display, and performance.

Winnychan213
Oct 11, 2012, 02:09 PM

The 5G has a better display, an A5 processor which means it will be fast, RAM is double that of the 4G, the camera and the battery have been improved. In short, the 5G has a much better camera, display, and performance.

True, the camera and battery life have improved, but how much is the sound quality verus the ipod touch?

zen97
Oct 11, 2012, 02:11 PM
5G due to all the updates... especially the camera. My 9yr old loves taking pics of her and her friends.

saotomefirst
Oct 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
@ OP, Great idea man! 5th gen iPod looks great for a child, and the fact that she's been saving money should be rewarded. Just remember to let her know that you appreciate her efforts to save the cash - maybe with a laser inscription?

Oh, and something no one has said so far: Happy Birthday to your child :D

Luckybobby
Oct 11, 2012, 02:39 PM
Wow, people on here are really mean. I have no idea what 10 year old wouldn't appreciate the touch. She saved all that money, and people are yelling at you for giving her a few extra dollars on her birthday. My dad bought me my first iPod touch when I was 10 years old now I buy everything for myself.
Happy birthday to your daughter:)

ITS ME DAVID
Oct 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
You can get the 4g refurbished from apple site for $149.99 which is $150 cheaper then the 5g and the refirbished from apple is pretty much new and includes the same 1 year warranty.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch/8gb

KeepCalmPeople
Oct 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
A bad decision imo

The OP isn't looking for parenting advice - you're on the wrong forum. You need to register here:

www.forumforsanctimoniousknowitalls.com

AbyssImpact
Oct 12, 2012, 01:35 AM
I would not get the 4g or the 5g. Wait for the 6g with the new A6 processor.

caramelpolice
Oct 12, 2012, 01:55 AM
I would not get the 4g or the 5g. Wait for the 6g with the new A6 processor.

I'm sure his ten year old really cares.

LadyX
Oct 12, 2012, 03:24 AM
True, the camera and battery life have improved, but how much is the sound quality verus the ipod touch?

I can't answer that since they haven't been released yet.
But I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between the audio quality of the 5G from that of the 4G since I think all iPods sound very similar and I don't think anyone can be able to tell the difference. Although, I keep hearing people talk about the difference in the sound quality of iPods, but to me, there's no difference in sound, maybe it's my ears :p
But I doubt it will be of much difference from that of the 4G.

Drunken Master
Oct 12, 2012, 05:15 AM
Tell her that you're taking that money and investing it in her college fund.

Get her a book to make up for it.

GoodBoy
Oct 12, 2012, 05:22 AM
You're seriously making a thread about debating on the 40 bucks price difference? Man... Skip a few drinks at your local bar and buy your doughter much better and up to date device. This is so small price difference it's not even worth mentioning, and I'm assuming you're not the poorest one since you buy Apple products.

AngerDanger
Oct 12, 2012, 05:52 AM
You're seriously making a thread about debating on the 40 bucks price difference? Man... Skip a few drinks at your local bar and buy your doughter much better and up to date device. This is so small price difference it's not even worth mentioning, and I'm assuming you're not the poorest one since you buy Apple products.

Bit hypocritical coming from somebody who made this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464807) thread. You clearly think there are differences between the iPod touch 4 and 5 that warrant some consideration otherwise you wouldn't have devoted your own thread to one of those differences. Besides, the OP made the decision a few hours after creating this thread; it wasn't much of a debate at all.

GoodBoy
Oct 12, 2012, 05:56 AM
Bit hypocritical coming from somebody who made this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464807) thread. You clearly think there are differences between the iPod touch 4 and 5 that warrant some consideration otherwise you wouldn't have devoted your own thread to one of those differences. Besides, the OP made the decision a few hours after creating this thread; it wasn't much of a debate at all.
Irrelevant post. My thread is totally different story about something completely else and it actually points out some design changes Apple has made. This thread however is utterly useless debate wannabe about wheter or not to spend 40$ more on the new toy. I'm sure everybody's interested so tell us more.... ;)

AngerDanger
Oct 12, 2012, 06:06 AM
Irrelevant post. My thread is totally different story about something completely else and it actually points out some design changes Apple has made. This thread however is utterly useless debate wannabe about wheter or not to spend 40$ more on the new toy. I'm sure everybody's interested so tell us more.... ;)

It's not about "something completely else"; it's about a design change that might affect a buyer's decision regarding whether they should buy the fourth or fifth generation iPod touch. :rolleyes:

GoodBoy
Oct 12, 2012, 06:15 AM
It's not about "something completely else"; it's about a design change that might affect a buyer's decision regarding whether they should buy the fourth or fifth generation iPod touch. :rolleyes:
I never pointed that out in my thread. And even if some people see it that way it's much more important than a debate wheter to spend 40$ more or not....

trundley
Oct 12, 2012, 06:15 AM
the end all and be all of it is that the 5G is the better one. End of. Bigger screen new processor yadda yadda. If you really want to save the bit of cash, sure go for the 4G but it isn't really that much.

Also a heads up, turn off IAP for games if you intend to sign in your app store account on the iPod as for 15 minutes, you dont need to enter the password again and she can buy whatever she likes :D

dthree36
Oct 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Wow... if its any consolation on the age discussion. I have a 9 year old that is getting a iPod Touch 5g for Christmas. Its been ordered and should receive it soon. My biggest problem is not opening it and using it myself.

We are an extremely tech savvy family and are deeply immersed in the apple products world. I find it much more convenient to be able to get free games and even paid games under 5 bucks and feel it is a far better investment than a Nintendo DS or the Sony rig. My Daughter loves music so that is its primary function. If you are a good parent and monitor your kids use and don't let them play games all day, I have no concerns of what age a kid is who is getting an iPod touch.

Get the latest version available. Apple hasn't release a new version of the touch every year like it does its phone so if you get the 5th gen, chances are it will be on the market for 2 years before being replaced. But then again, this is the tech industry where products are introduced constantly.

AngerDanger
Oct 12, 2012, 12:09 PM
I never pointed that out in my thread. And even if some people see it that way it's much more important than a debate wheter to spend 40$ more or not....

You didn't need to point it out; you said "damn Apple" and clearly consider the protruding camera to be a negative point to buying the new iPod touch. As for which thread is more important, that is completely opinion based. I've never seen somebody in a situation where they absolutely need their iPod to lay flat on a table. This thread isn't merely about spending an extra $40; it's about deciding which iPod touch would be better for a 10 year old girl. You could probably find a different forum where telling people to "Skip a few drinks at your local bar" would be welcome. :)

pkagel
Oct 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
My 8 and 10yo girls both have 4th gen but if I was buying today they would get the biggest 5th gen I could buy. Why, because they love to take a million photos and videos. They both take very good care of them and I bought them thick rubber cases for when they do get dropped on the tile floor. They have had them since the 4th came out and they are still in very good condition.