PDA

View Full Version : how many ppl here have purchased a new iBook/PowerBook?

SilvorX
Nov 21, 2002, 10:26 AM
how many MR members have already bought a new ibook/pbook (since the november update) or are thinking of buying one?
i ordered my ibook (800 mhz 12.1", 640 megs of ram) on monday, so it should be ready to pick up around monday - wednesday (cuz they had to order it from the warehouse in montreal), i cant wait :D, so far everyone who i've heard who bought a brand new 800 mhz ibook enjoy it alot, cept theres some ppl who bought an ibook who have problems with the speed of burning a cd-r (its listed as 16x speed, but some people are only getting up to 4x :()
how's everyone's experience with the new ibook so far? are you having problems with the combo drive so far or is it perfect?
i've been thinking bout purchasing a powermac for the longest time, but when i had a chance to test it out for myself, i wasnt that happy with the speed (for average appz) since $2700 would be too expensive for that in my oppinion..so i kept thinking for about 2-3 weeks...and finally decided with an ibook (since i may need it next year)

Mike Teezie
Nov 21, 2002, 12:03 PM
I bought my fisrt Mac, a 1 gig/1 gig/60 Gig/Combo Powerbook last week. I am waiting for apple to ship it to me. Looking foward to making the switch.

MacRoni
Nov 21, 2002, 01:35 PM
:o That's the way I like it.....uh-huh....:D

edesignuk
Nov 21, 2002, 01:42 PM
I hope to soon, just as soon as i can sell my Stinkpad T21 i'll be ordering an iBook 800, 12.1", 640Mb, 30Gb, AirPort. I can't wait! ....just need to get some cash for the stinkpad first :(

iMax
Nov 21, 2002, 01:51 PM
1Ghz Tibook w/ 1GB RAM and Combo drive coming my way! Wooohooooooo

nicely
Nov 21, 2002, 02:26 PM
I ordered the PowerBook 1 Ghz with 1gig and a Superdrive...now if it will only ship

whocares
Nov 21, 2002, 02:40 PM
I getting a 12.1" 800MHz for Xmas on which I plan to max out the RAM :D :D

Just picked up Adobe Design Collection w/ GoLive/LiveMotion pack for less than $400 and need more power than my agging iMac can offer to run it. (isn't it great being a student, what with cheap software and all?)

AssassinOfGates
Nov 21, 2002, 02:48 PM
Powerbook 1GHz, 60 gig, Combo, 1Gig ram, radeon 9000 w/ 64 DDR

Tis my fathers, and since he has a new one i get his old PBG3 500 pismo.

mcrain
Nov 21, 2002, 03:20 PM
:) Over a thousand posts on here, and I finally switched.
|
|
|
V

monkeydo_jb
Nov 21, 2002, 04:35 PM
On Order:

TiBook 1GHz
1GB SDRAM
Super Drive

Ordered on the 11th, and, of course, still waiting for it to ship. It will be my 1st mac when it finally arrives.

-jeff

zimv20
Nov 21, 2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by MacRoni
:o That's the way I like it.....uh-huh....:D

errrr... did you get an educational discount or something?

arn
Nov 21, 2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by SilvorX
how many MR members have already bought a new ibook/pbook (since the november update) or are thinking of buying one?

Check out the results of this poll:

http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=70

121 people ordered/bought one of the new iBooks/Powerbooks
287 said they would soon.

arn

pilotgi
Nov 21, 2002, 04:52 PM
I received my 800Mhz iBook with 640MB ram on 11/13. I love it!

So far the only thing I've done with the optical drive was play a dvd with my iBook hooked up to my 17" NEC digital lcd with the included vga adapter. Cool.

This is also my first time using OSX. I love it also. An example:

I hooked up my Fuji finepix camera to the usb port and OSX detected the camera, and opened iPhoto. I clicked import and I was done. No configuring or set up. Same thing with my Epson printer. Connected via usb, selected the Epson as my default printer, done!

SilvorX
Nov 21, 2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by arn

Check out the results of this poll:

http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=70

121 people ordered/bought one of the new iBooks/Powerbooks
287 said they would soon.

arn
ppl change their mind easily lol :P, i did, i was undecided around when the new ibooks/powerbooks came out...but after lots of talking to jackk763, i decided on the ibook, i could tell i was annoying the fuk out of him lol...
i cant wait to get my ibook tho :D lol
hows everyone's new ibook (for ppl who got the new ibook)? (so far i heard only good things bout the new ibook :))
time seems to be going by kinda fast while im waiting for my ibook...if only it would go FASTER lol...

hui__lim
Nov 21, 2002, 05:58 PM
Powerbook 1GHz, 1GB RAM and Superdrive!!!!
woot....
And this will be the first time I EVER use a MAC computer!!!
:D :D

pianojoe
Nov 21, 2002, 05:59 PM
I'm writing this on my brand new iBook 12" Combo which arrived today. According to Xbench, the performance gain over my old iBook 600 is only 27%, but it feels much snappier.

BTW, copying my data was no prob... I just dittoed my home directory, the applications folder and Library/Application Support in FW target mode... piece of cake! Try this in a non-unix environment... This is something they should mention in the ads!

Quartz Extreme, we greet thee!

zimv20
Nov 21, 2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by pianojoe
I'm writing this on my brand new iBook 12" Combo which arrived today. According to Xbench, the performance gain over my old iBook 600 is only 27%, but it feels much snappier.

can you post the entire XBench result here?

thanks

demonx
Nov 21, 2002, 06:30 PM
Got my iBook 800mhz last Friday, my first apple purchase ever. Loving it so far, the only reason I even turn my PC on now is to Play Games, or when my eyes want a bigger monitor.

Only thing now is I need to upgrade my memory from 256mb to the full 640, but so far im in love with the desing and quality of the iBook and OSX, not to mention all the cool programs out there.:D

mousemd
Nov 21, 2002, 06:58 PM
In response to Macroni....

How'd you get the combo powerbook so cheap? Did you use a developer discount or something?

shadowfax
Nov 21, 2002, 07:02 PM
got the TiBook 1 GHz... it's so incredible. the battery lasts forever, it's crazy. the paint looks "sturdier" than the paint i saw on the 800, and it seems a bit lighter in shade as well. fan's almost always on, but i can put it on my lap for hours and not get uncomfortable. it just gets very warm. if it were winter, it would be "pleasantly warm." as it is, it's just ok warm now.

i have few to no regrets about switching. it's connected perfectly (better than my dad's dell company laptop actually) to my netgear router+wireless AP. the only SERIOUS grip i have with it is that it's offered no method for me to print to the USB printer on my dell PC. is that altogether impossible?

i have a series of questions about mac stuff... i think i'll make a new thread!

i hope you all are enjoying your new machines as much as i am. this thing is so unbelievably cool!
the best things about the powerbook:

1. the screen resolution is great (who honestly needs uXGA? that's just too much for me, personally.

2. sleeping--or more specifically, waking. i love a computer that can just do that. all the PC notebooks i have seen take 20-30 seconds to wake up. 2 second wake up time. what a great idea.

3. Battery Life--oh you know it

the case on this thing makes me paranoid, i'll admit, but after 2 days of being casually careful with it commuting from how to school (had a bag of course), it's not been too much trouble to maintain.

giljanus
Nov 21, 2002, 07:05 PM
On Monday the fine folks at the NY SOHO store called and said the new Powerbooks had come in - did I still want one? I said of course. And at lunch went and picked it up.

A fine machine - 1Ghz/1GB/60GB/Superdrive - much faster delivery then they had promised.

My new machine replaces my old Wallstreet/G3/466 (PowerLogix) upgraded portable. :p

I even ordered and got a new Tom Bihn ID w/ Brain Cell to carry my new monster.

Gil, a happy camper in NYC :D

Kwyjibo
Nov 21, 2002, 07:27 PM
I ordered my ibook on the day of the announcement and got it on 11/11/02, its the same color as the t old ibooks, white/clear on the outside, silver on the inside and white on the bottom. My ibook was pretty slow b4 i bumped the ram up to 384 total (the chip was like $25 definately worth it incase you havn'et inferred that from everyone else) Its the 1299 model only mod is the ram. With the ram its really fast, the only issues i've had are slow cd ripping, not having all my winapps ie word and excel, and not finding a great browser, right now i've used ie, omniweb, Opera (beta) and chimera currentl, in all honesty all kind of shaky compared to Opera 6.0 on Windows.

SilvorX
Nov 21, 2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I ordered my ibook on the day of the announcement and got it on 11/11/02, its the same color as the t old ibooks, white/clear on the outside, silver on the inside and white on the bottom. My ibook was pretty slow b4 i bumped the ram up to 384 total (the chip was like $25 definately worth it incase you havn'et inferred that from everyone else) Its the 1299 model only mod is the ram. With the ram its really fast, the only issues i've had are slow cd ripping, not having all my winapps ie word and excel, and not finding a great browser, right now i've used ie, omniweb, Opera (beta) and chimera currentl, in all honesty all kind of shaky compared to Opera 6.0 on Windows.
ive heard quite a bit about the new ibooks having a slower burn speed (cd-r) than listed, its not a rare problem it sounds like, hopefully they will fix this problem soon with a firmware update...hopefully the ibook i get isnt one of the slow combo drive models :(
i would hate to have a burn speed of 4x (concidering my pc burner is 8x and well over 2 years old since it was produced)

lmalave
Nov 21, 2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by pianojoe

Quartz Extreme, we greet thee!

Were you running Jaguar on your old iBook, though?

robbieduncan
Nov 22, 2002, 02:29 AM
I orderd my new iBook 800 on the day of release and it arrived a couple of days ago. Slapped in the airport card from my old clamshell and upped the ram to 640Mb. The enabled monitor spanning. I am very happy with it: it seems very responsive. I took it into work yesterday and everyone thought it was very cool. One guy is now seriuously considering returning to a Mac (the second or third I have convinced since I switched a couple of years back).

MacRib
Nov 22, 2002, 02:40 AM
I ordered my iBook 800/640/12,1" 14 days ago, from the UPS tracking service I learned to know it will be delivered just the next few hours.

Then I'm gonna call myself a switcher - and I'm sure that I won't regret this November 22nd, 2002 a bit!

*reallyexcited*

msbsound
Nov 22, 2002, 10:28 AM
Ordered mine last night and will have it tomorrow...1Gig with a superdrive in a a nice little package. It's replacing a ibook 600 and a g4 sawtooth. I can't wait.

MB.

Mike Teezie
Nov 22, 2002, 10:35 AM
How are you guys ordering and getting your powerbooks the next day? I ordered mine (with no superdrive) and paid for overnight shipping - and my shipping date keeps getting pushed back. Its really starting to piss me off, because i know several folks who have gotten their superdive models, and I am still waiting for my computer to get a shipping coformation.

msbsound
Nov 22, 2002, 01:05 PM
I shopped around until I found a place that had them in stock with no back orders to fulfill. Two places last night had this...smalldog.com and powermax.com. I went powermax since I was able to trade in my old ibook for a little price break.

MattB.

steevw7
Nov 22, 2002, 01:28 PM
Got a Ti1ghzSD last Saturday (King o' Prussia Apple Store)....sooooo nice. My wife hates me know!

lmalave
Nov 22, 2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by msbsound
I shopped around until I found a place that had them in stock with no back orders to fulfill. Two places last night had this...smalldog.com and powermax.com. I went powermax since I was able to trade in my old ibook for a little price break.

MattB.

What deal did you get on your trade-in, if you don't mind my asking? I just bought my iBook, but it would be good to know for the future...

SilvorX
Nov 25, 2002, 11:40 AM
waiting for the ibook is getting really tiring :P lol, i kept trying to check my email today to see if the powerbook came in today....so far no email :(, but then again i told them to add 512 megs more ram, so that may take a while (if theyre busy), but hopefully i can pick it up on wednesday (if its not ready then, friday then)

robbieduncan
Nov 25, 2002, 01:42 PM
I waited and waited - phoning every day. But when I got my iBook it was worth every minute :D

hui__lim
Nov 25, 2002, 08:09 PM
well ordered my Powerbook 1GHz with superdrive on the 7th November. Today is already the 26th Nov which means that I already have been waiting 3 weeks!! That means still 2 more additional weeks plus about a week till I see my Powerbook. This totals up to 7 weeks!!! Its very torturous to me... Can't wait till get the Powerbook (p.s. I'm a SWITCHER :D never used a Mac ever before...)
On another note, does anyone know how to check up the status or my order on the web as at the moment, im having to ring Apple up to check up on the status of my order. I'm sure they have like a web status monitor as to where your Mac machine is in the world :D
Apple noobie... ME!!!

SilvorX
Nov 25, 2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by robbieduncan
I waited and waited - phoning every day. But when I got my iBook it was worth every minute :D
since saturday i kept checking my email to see if it's in yet, but the person at the computer store said it would probably take a week, so if he ordered it for me on tuesday, it should be ready to pick up tomorrow...
im tired of waiting tho lol, but i cant wait :D