PDA

View Full Version : Powerpoint Computer.

Spock
Nov 21, 2002, 10:43 AM
I have a really big problem, at my church I run a stupid PC for Powerpoint slides for the Pastor every Sunday Morning. Well here is the problem we make the powerpoint slides and put them on a floppy and transfer them to the laptops floppy well the Floppy drive died and we have to waste a CD-R every Sunday for a 800k file, Plus the screen is going out. I was wandering if anyone had a old Powerbook G3 they could donate or sell really cheap.

Thank You,
Spock

jeremy.king
Nov 21, 2002, 11:35 AM
Instead of wasting a CD-R, why not use a CD-RW? You can even write to it multiple times without deleting your old presentations.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 21, 2002, 11:54 AM
I've found that making Powerpoint slides on a mac and putting them on a pc (and vice versa) doesn't always work very well. You'd be better off getting another cheap pc and do it on there.

And yes I know, I'm advising a PC purchase, but there is a significant problem with Powerpoint Presentations on a Mac.

D

gernb
Nov 21, 2002, 12:10 PM
And yes I know, I'm advising a PC purchase, but there is a significant problem with Powerpoint Presentations on a Mac.

Just curious, but what's the problem?

Mr. Anderson
Nov 21, 2002, 12:20 PM
The PC version of PowerPoint has more advanced animation functions that aren't available for the Mac - and I'm not just talking about one or two. Also, the Mac handles movies differently, that if you attach a QT movie in a PowerPoint file, it usually won't work on a PC even if QT is installed on the PC. Macs allow you to attach Flash movies (with interactivity!!) PCs don't, or at least I haven't been able to get them too.

Generally, it comes down to the fact that you won't get the same presentation from one machine to the other and that can cause problems. You can simplify and use things that are going to work on both machines, but its a pain if you get stuck trying to do something that can't transfer.

Also fonts have a tendency to reformat/change between machines.

That's why I'm suggesting if you're going to make a PowerPoint presentation on PC, use a PC to present it. Same goes for Macs, keep it on a mac if you make it on one.

D

Spock
Nov 21, 2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by kingjr3
Instead of wasting a CD-R, why not use a CD-RW? You can even write to it multiple times without deleting your old presentations.

The Laptop CD-ROM will not read a CD-RW, thank you for your input Dukestreet
but the projector we use to display the PPT presentations on will only display certain font's and they are on the Mac and PC version. and running Flash Animation is out of the qustion the projector is only a 700 Lumens. We only make basic slides already and the Mac OS look's so much better than Win98.
I have had to make slides on my Performa with PPT 2001 and had no conversion problems at all. But don't get me wrong I am no doubting you. Thank You

solvs
Nov 21, 2002, 01:46 PM
What about Ethernet or a small external drive?

Or just e-mail to yourself?