Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forkjulle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
I find it buggy. I have the latest updates, but I've noticed one or two small things that aren't expected behaviour.

When I change my desktop wallpaper, for example, it sometimes doesn't remember when it boots up again, and defaults to a previous wallpaper or even the OS X default (the blue galaxy one).

And I experienced an odd context menu behaviour which I've since fixed; it placed Photoshop twice into the right-click context menu.

Have you noticed little bugs?

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Safari crashes at least once per day (I don't know whether safari is considered as a part of the os or not).

Time to shut down is longer and a spinning wheel comes during the shut down process.

Apart from those, the new update seems to be pretty stable and nice.

Forgot to mention that there were a that the screen gets a blue tint when the OS switch to dedicated GPU. The problem disappeared once the PRAM is reseted.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
My only issues are with safari (rendering bugs mostly), but i'll still take safari 6 over Lion's version of Safari 5 due to the speed improvements and pinch to swipe tabs.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It doesn't feel as well put together as Leopard or Snow Leopard did. Little things like animations aren't as seamless, and lets not talk about the horror that is "Instant-On". Then there's the "new" features like notifications that I have yet to use even once.

But I wouldn't say that it's buggy*, just not... "right".

But given the choice between Lion and Mountain Lion, I guess ML is the lesser of the two evils.

*And as I'm typing this, my keyboard stopped working for a few seconds. Maybe it is somewhat buggy.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Nothing major, but here is my short list:

1. When trying to move one WEB page back by sweeping with two fingers to the right, at some sites like http://www.di.se the back page stays blank and I have to hit CMD-R to force reload. I have filed this as a bug at Apples feedback page.

2. When double tapping with two fingers to zoom, at some sites like http://www.di.se I can not scroll the page left or right. I have filed this as a bug at Apples feedback page.

3. At least up to 4.8.0.1 (not sure about 4.8.0.2), if I have not rebooted my MBA for a longer period (1 week or more) selection of Air Speaker ceases to function. Each time I click on my Air Speaker it reverts back to the internal speaker. After a reboot it works as it should. This I have not reported yet since I'm not sure if it is present in 4.8.0.2.

4. One of my closest neighbors router is incorrectly configured and transmits beacons with wrong country code (GB instead of SE). From time to time when his signal strength is on par with mine, my MBA picks up his beacon and configures my MBA WiFi in accordance with GB regulatory rules instead of SE, which makes connection to my ABSE to fail (this is easy to see in the system log). This may also cause an established connection all of a sudden to cease to function. This issue appears to have been present in OS X for years. Nevertheless I have now an open ticket at Apple support.

I hope you all reports your issues to http://www.apple.com/feedback or to Apple phone support so there is at least a small chance these kind of issues get fixed.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I've never met an OS that was 100% solid. Even Linux OS favors are indefinitely labeled "projects". If everybody consistently used the same hardware and software it might be possible to come close to a near perfect OS. But, even Apple can't pull that off if everybody didn't upgrade their hardware to the latest models every time something new was released.

With that said, the only issue I've experienced with ML has been the mail app refusing to close during a shutdown making it necessary to force close it on occasion. Nothing deal breaking though.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
There are a few things i notice. The OS keeps a lot of inactive memory. I have 12GB, and sometimes I will have 6 - 8GB of inactive memory and very little free memory. Instead of freeing up inactive memory the OS will often just page out and slow down A LOT instead.

Safari also gets a bit scrambled while scrolling sometimes. Two parts of the screen won't match up. Mainly in Facebook.

Speaking of Facebook, here is a more minor gripe. Why no FB chat integration in Messages? I can add it by setting up a Jabber account on Messages, but messages I send from my phone or while on Facebook.com do not show up in the Messages app.

eyedee

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
I think it's a bit buggy. Mostly small silly things, like I always have to right click and select 'Change Desktop Background' twice before ML displays the Desktop Preferences pane.

The inactive memory thing has proved an issue once or twice so far (I've only been running ML for 2-3 weeks).

I think I'm more bothered about some of the daft changes Apple made to it, such as getting rid of the feature within spotlight where placing the cursor over a file/folder/application name displayed a yellow box that told you where on the system the file was located. I can hardly believe they did away with that incredibly sensible and useful feature. You can hold Option and Command whilst hovering over a file name to get some info as to its location, but the path displayed is only as long as the little preview bow allows, which often doesn't allow the complete path to be shown. What's the point of a search facility that can't actually tell you where a file is located!? Bonkers. :rolleyes:

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I have 3 mac running it, and yes, its very buggy. I have issues with screen sharing, iTunes will lock up, eyetv app doesnt work well at all. it kills the battery on my 2008 MBP, but my new MBP is fine on it.

then home sharing on itunes has to be restarted all the time, it was stable for a while, but the last update broke that again.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
The only issue I have is with Safari, but I think that's more an indictment of the browser than Mountain Lion. I haven't really noticed any ML-specific problems.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I've also gone back to Lion from 10.8.2 due to the sleep/wake issues. Lion is much faster than ML. I only miss IM, so I might eventually go back to 10.8.0 (fortunately I still have a copy of the downloaded app).

rrm998

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Houston, TX USA
Since I loaded 10.8.2 I've noticed I have more memory free so that seems to be improving.

I had the wallpaper issue but deleting the desktop plist resolved this for me.

Sometimes clicking on an open app in the dock won't restore it to the screen. I have to right click and select the document from that menu.

In terms of Safari, I found there's a little known utility called "Chrome" that resolved any issues I was having. :)

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Every once in a while when I reboot my new mac mini, I get a message saying my computer was restarted because of a problem even though I wasn't having a problem at the time I voluntary restarted. I wonder if it's a problem with Mountain Lion (latest version) or a program running in the background. I did an extended hardware test and also ran memtest with no errors. My startup programs are Dropbox, Skydrive, Istat Menus, and PleaseSleep.

Any ideas?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
No problems or bugs for me so far, everything has been working great and the system feels very snappy.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Tons of graphical glitches and general oversights.

1. Scrolling up to see sorting options in iCloud open dialogs are sluggish as hell.
2. Non-standard rubberband bouncing behavior in Stacks
3. Launchpad is still seriously buggy (even though I don't use it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.