PDA

View Full Version : My girlfriend seems to have forgotten her password...

marbleduck
Oct 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
So yeah. My girlfriend has an iMac G5, and she can't seem to remember her password. Somehow, I need to either create a new admin account, make her a new password, or wipe the computer and reinstall everything.

Here's what I've tried:
SUM. Doesn't work. It seems as though all key commands while starting up are disabled.

Resetting the PRAM+ changing the ram to access SUM. Doesn't work. Again, it seems as though key commands while starting up are disabled.

Starting from a disc. Didn't work. I was presented with a bluish screen with a big padlock on it, and a text box, presumably for a password.

Target disc mode to wipe it. Didn't work. Again, the screen with the padlock.

Anyone think they can help?

Again, it's an iMac G5 running Leopard.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

Addendum Nov 22 2012:

Alright. I've been away for awhile since I haven't had much time to work on this problem, but anyway, here's what seems to be the matter:

No key commands for startup work. I've tried to reset the PRAM (after changing the amount of RAM beforehand, of course) multiple times, but nothing works. I tried resetting the PRAM on another computer just to see if I was doing it right, and yes, I was doing it right.

I also tried taking out the logic board battery for 30 mins to reset the PRAM, but it does not seem to have done anything.

Still would appreciate help.

Jessica Lares
Oct 13, 2012, 07:06 PM
You might need to go into open firmware and reset the password. I think you're getting the padlock because there is a lock within there.

marbleduck
Oct 13, 2012, 07:13 PM
How might I go about doing that?

cocacolakid
Oct 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
1.REBOOT
2. Hold down COMMAND & S (AFTER YOU Hear THE CHIME)
3.AFTER TEXT PROMPT ENTER IN THESE TERMINAL COMMANDS (PRESS ENTER AFTER EACH LINE)

mount -w /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

****make sure to use spaces and capital letters EXACTLY as shown in the terminal commands above****

IT will not WORK if you don't type it EXACTLY like this

---
Courtesy of http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-73393-change-mac-admin-password-without-the-disk?page=3

marbleduck
Oct 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
Already told you, Single User Mode can't be accessed.

SUM= Single User Mode

SuperJudge
Oct 13, 2012, 07:47 PM
How might I go about doing that?

Simple! Change the RAM configuration and then do a PRAM reset until you've gotten at least 3 chimes. Then you should be able to get in to do whatever other OS level password resets you need.

marbleduck
Nov 22, 2012, 03:35 PM
Alright. I've been away for awhile since I haven't had much time to work on this problem, but anyway, here's what seems to be the matter:

No key commands for startup work. I've tried to reset the PRAM (after changing the amount of RAM beforehand, of course) multiple times, but nothing works. I tried resetting the PRAM on another computer just to see if I was doing it right, and yes, I was doing it right.

I also tried taking out the logic board battery for 30 mins to reset the PRAM, but it does not seem to have done anything.

Still would appreciate help.

marbleduck
Nov 22, 2012, 03:47 PM
Further notes: I started it up in open firmware mode (Cmd+Option+F+O on startup), told it to boot cdrom, still booted from the main drive. WTF.

marbleduck
Nov 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Anyone?

Also, I changed the amount of DIMMs several times, still won't let me reset the PRAM.

California
Nov 24, 2012, 01:06 PM
Were you using the OEM discs to reset the password?

blesscheese
Nov 24, 2012, 01:46 PM
Just saw this--yeah, that was what I was thinking--did you try booting from the install cd to reset the password?

AndroidBlows
Nov 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
So she hasn't been able to use it for 6 weeks?

Interesting.