Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMacFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
in my mdd it came with a nVIDIA GeForce 4MX a Belkin 2+1 USB 2.0 card and an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard.

in it i installed a PCI Linksys WMP54G v4.1 wireless card (it provides better signal than a AirPort Extreme card) it uses the rt61 chip.

i also installed a Belkin bluetooth dongle via internal usb port.

now heres the thing ubuntu 12.04 boots perfect and works otb (thanks to the wifi card) both the Audiophile 2496 and onboard audio are detected by ubuntu however no sound comes out the Audiophile 2496 nor the internal speaker on integrated audio.

obviouslly ubuntu has drivers for both cards so how do i get sound working?

MacinDan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Your volume may be muted by default. Try installing alsa-base and alsa-utils and then running alsamixer in a terminal where you can tick the master volume with the "m" key to unmute, and also turn it up. If that doesn't work, you may have certain sound modules blacklisted. You can find more information here.

PowerMacFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Your volume may be muted by default. Try installing alsa-base and alsa-utils and then running alsamixer in a terminal where you can tick the master volume with the "m" key to unmute, and also turn it up. If that doesn't work, you may have certain sound modules blacklisted. You can find more information here.

ill try that thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.