PDA

View Full Version : Finder auto arrange in Mountain Lion?

Grandmaster B
Oct 14, 2012, 06:02 PM
Feel like it's a dumb question, but I can not for the life of me find where to set auto arranging files/folders in Mountain Lion. Having to constantly hit "Clean up by name" in my downloads folder for example which constantly has stuff coming in and out of it sucks.

CJS7070
Oct 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
Mine shows "Arrange by" in the contextual menu, and then holding Option shifts it to "Sort by." Maybe this is what you're looking for?

Dustmajesty
Apr 18, 2013, 01:25 AM
I'm having the same issue. It seems that even when I set the "Arrange by" to name, it still doesn't automatically arrange them. When I drag something new into the folder it still just drops in right where I drag it to, and if I hit back and open the folder again, it's still in the same place.:confused:

mindlessmissy
Apr 18, 2013, 01:46 AM
In Show View Options , mine is set up like shown in the attached pic and it sorts automatically by name ...

http://i50.tinypic.com/30s7bj5.png

AeroBar
Apr 21, 2013, 12:40 PM
Hi,

Thanks, mindlessmissy.

I've been trying to figure this out for ages.

However, I have to do this for every folder I create. Is there a way to the whole Finder to auto sort everything at once?

mindlessmissy
Apr 21, 2013, 09:53 PM
Hi,

However, I have to do this for every folder I create. Is there a way to the whole Finder to auto sort everything at once?

Just hit the "Use as Defaults" button on the bottom of the "Show View Options" popout to make it universal for every finder window ... :)

AeroBar
Apr 22, 2013, 08:33 AM
Thank you ;)

garciausmc
Apr 22, 2013, 11:35 PM
Just hit the "Use as Defaults" button on the bottom of the "Show View Options" popout to make it universal for every finder window ... :)

I'm a recent Windows switcher and this was bugging the crap out of me! Even though I didn't ask the question, thanks for the answer! Awesome!

stchman
Apr 23, 2013, 12:44 PM
Macheist has PathFinder for $9.99 and you can do a lot more with PathFinder than sucky Finder. A worthwhile $9.99 IMO.

ModeRed
Jun 1, 2013, 04:14 PM

also new to the Mac fold, equally bothered by this! Thanks:)