Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Hi all,

Had an iPhone 4 and recently purchased an iPhone 5 on a new contract. The iPhone 4 still has it's own number, and I'm using a new one all together.

Logged in with my AppleID so now imessage is assigned to both phones and both numbers. I've restored the old phone to factory defaults as I'm selling it, and will give the sim to my wife for her Windows phone.

I've been into settings on the iPhone 5 and unticked the old number in the messages section. How do I remove it completely? It's bugging me being in there.

Tried logging into my Apple account online to unregister the old phone, but all I see is my iPhone 5 and iPad. The iPhone 4 is not listed.

any ideas?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The best thing to do is to put the old SIM into the iPhone 4 and toggle iMessage ON.

Wait for it to activate.

Then toggle it OFF

You can then take the SIM out of the phone and restore it again.

As far as Apple/iMessage are concerned, your iPhone 4 hasn't been restored and the iMessage activation from before the restore is still valid.

glen8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

Prior to doing a factory reset, I did indeed switch iMessage off

The number is still listed on my 5 though :confused:

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply.

Prior to doing a factory reset, I did indeed switch iMessage off

The number is still listed on my 5 though :confused:

You've done everything you can, so the best advice I can give you is to contact Apple. You might as well do it because you are within the free 90 day telephone support period!

glen8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Thanks, I think I will

I've noticed when I go into Find my iPhone it lists both my iPhone 4 and 5

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I've noticed when I go into Find my iPhone it lists both my iPhone 4 and 5

That's slightly different because it actually lets you delete old devices from that.

They only reappear in Find My iPhone if the device registers its location with the service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.