PDA

View Full Version : What is your PowerPC Mac used for now?

LOLZpersonok
Oct 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
I use my PowerMac G4 MDD when I'm not playing a game or running Photoshop or accessing my main files on my main computer. My iMac G3 is my jukebox. Basically my PowerMac G4 is for using GarageBand or iMovie.

What do you use yours for?

Jessica Lares
Oct 16, 2012, 11:34 AM
I use my Power Mac G5 for the whole Creative Suite package, rendering 3D with Poser, Bryce, practicing Unity 3D, and I'm trying to get a copy of Autodesk Maya for PPC, so I can use it as my main machine as my MacBook Pro screen is too small. It renders really fast actually. Do a lot of coding on it too. I want to throw a copy of Logic on it too.

The iMac G4, I do some rendering on it too, but it's mainly my family's machine, and I usually just use one of the Bannister emulators to play Genesis ROMs when I'm not using the Xbox in the living room as the screen is awesome for that.

I'm planning on adding some authoring software to my clamshell too (running OS 9). Need to figure out just what though.

SuperJudge
Oct 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm down to just my iMac G5 at this point. :(

Mostly, I use it as a terminal for accessing my x86_64 Linux box and as a front end for my media server when I'm in my home office. It handles both of those jobs with aplomb since I don't have any HD content to stream.

Zotaccian
Oct 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
G4 Dual for occasional web surfing. My PowerBook G4 currently has no working charger so it just... is.

666sheep
Oct 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
PowerBook – web surfing (my primary laptop), movie watching in bed, some light PS and AI work

Clamshell – audiobook player, light web surfing

MDD, iMacs, Cubes, eMac – my little victims of modding. Some mods already done, some in progress, some will be done. I have plenty of ideas but not as much spare time and money to finish all mods that I have in my head.

skinniezinho
Oct 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
Backup computer,scanning 35mm film rolls,ocasional web surfing.

orestes1984
Oct 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
My G5 Xserve is an iTunes server and back end for my Apple TV 3. It's also got duties of file serving, acting as a torrent daemon with web interface, a time machine server and backup ripping machine to set and forget about if I really get bogged down. It has a screen sharing front end so I can run it without a monitor. Prior to its current duties it was a PPC Linux box.

rjcalifornia
Oct 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
iBook G4 1.2 Ghz
1.25 RAM Memory

I use it for work, work work. Seriously, I do most of my work there. I also use it for photoshop, facebook, twitter, gmail, managing our online store, developing plugins, websites, watch movies, youtube, writing...

Anyways, it is one of my main computers.

PowerMacFan
Oct 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
PowerMac G4 MDD FW800:

got it as my main PC replacing my problematic AMD Athlon 64 Socket AM2 system. I use it for daily activities web browsing DVD watching music listening. I will even use iMovie for my YouTube videos however i rarely edit my videos so i have not yet edited any video on any of my Macs.

eMac:

I have the USB 2.0 1GHz model (education model) i bought it from a school that is not too far from me. I use this Mac mostly for a computer to use as i work on my PowerMac i will occasionally watch DVDs on it. I just rigged in a PC power switch as the switch broke while i was installing a SuperDrive

eyoungren
Oct 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
17" PowerBook G4 1Ghz:
Email, web surfing, word processing, photo editing.

17" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz
Same as above, but also Graphic Design (Adobe CS4, QXP 8.5.1, Acrobat 9.0 & 6.0 Pro)

My work G5 1.8Ghz:
Production, ad design, composition and page layout (Adobe CS4, QXP 8.5.1, Acrobat 9.0 & 6.0 Pro)

My work G4 400mhz:
Applescript server (photo processing, file moving)

My coworker's G4 450mhz:
Same thing my work G5 does.

All Macs above are running Leopard 10.5.8, except for the 400mhz G4 which is running Tiger 10.4.11.

Hrududu
Oct 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5:
This is my everyday system. Its the main web browsing, iTunes, CS4, and video machine. Its honestly still more power than I really need which is why I'n not in any hurry to replace it.

PowerBook G4 1.5 12"
Primary mobile system. Used for all the usual around home stuff. Its got CS3 and Office along with the internet stuff so its a good little toy.

PowerMac G4 Cube 500
This guy is setup as jukebox with iTunes / web browsing machine. Its also got a 20" Cinema display attached so its great for some SD video or even a little Adobe Illustrator and Freehand MX.

There are more, but these are the 3 that see the most daily use.

Nameci
Oct 16, 2012, 08:00 PM
Powermac G5 Quad - CAD work, graphics work using AI, PS, email, surfing the interwebs, iTunes, hulu, writing user's as well as service and tech manuals, writing QC specs and standards, Skype and almost anything I can do on a desktop computer.

FrozenMacUser
Oct 16, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hello everyone,

New here at MacRumors and I thought I would start here.

I use my "New" Power Mac G5 dual 2.0ghz as my main computer which entails writing with CopyWrite, Photoghraphy work using The Gimp 2.6.11 and Seashore (Adobe PS and Elements are out of my price range and honestly beyond what I need in capabilities), surfing the web, Mactubes for youtube, music in iTunes, a little web design and for loading ebooks onto my Ebook reader. Basically I have not found anything I need my computer to do that it can't do. It is leaps and bounds above my former main machine I just retired which was the comprimised "budget" single 1ghz model of the G4 MDD FW800. Oh and for my mobile needs I have a 550mhz G4 Tibook which is a glorified typewriter and I don't need more then that to work on my writing in coffee shops, at work or at the library.

Ariii
Oct 16, 2012, 11:19 PM
My Lime iBook is used most of the time. With the right combinations of software, it can be surprisingly useful.... even quick. I do all of my word processing and instant messaging with it, along with some Web design.

wobegong
Oct 17, 2012, 12:12 AM
G5 is my main 'home' computer, use it for Photo catalogue and minor edits (iPhoto, Picasa and Flickr uploading etc) iMovie to create holiday movies etc. games occasionally (Doom3, Amnesia, Quake3&4, UT2004 etc) browsing, email of course, iTunes and Spotify through my Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers (awesome!), utility wise Dropbox, Logmein (to give me Back to My Mac functionality), AV supplied by VirusBarrier X6, Skype gets used a lot for video calls home (I live/work abroad) etc etc. Hardware attached is a Logitech HD Webcam, Elgato Turbo.264 USB encoder, B&M Speakers, D-Link USB Wifi dongle.

My MacBook is connected to my TV permanently, I use Mobile Mouse Server to control it from my iPad - It runs BBC iPlayer (through a UK VPN) and PS3 MediaServer to serve content from my Airport USB attached hard drive to my PS3 and runs 24/7 (to enable it to keep my iPlayer programs up to date and downloaded).

My MacBookPro is my work laptop - it's lovely and it's smooth but I just like using a desktop at home and the G5 is still very much 'fit for purpose'.

Have an iPad for iPad stuff..... :rolleyes:

Use a Nokia N9 for my phone.

Keep contacts, calendars etc synced between ALL my machines (G5 on Leopard, MacBook of Lion, MBP on ML, iPad on iOS AND Nokia (!) using Fruux.

GermanyChris
Oct 17, 2012, 01:46 AM
The recently replaced quad served as my main computer for CS3. I just got a 5.5 license from work so the quad was replaced with a MP.

Starfighter
Oct 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
I use both my Power Mac G5 and my PowerBook G4 for browsing the web (Camino and SeaMonkey), listening to music (iTunes and Spotify), creating artwork for our podcast (Photoshop), keeping in touch with my friends (Thunderbird and Adium) and streaming media to our consoles (Playback).

Movie editing, podcast recording, converting, gaming and other demanding tasks is done on a Windows-based PC.

AQUADock
Oct 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
My Powerbook is used as a second computer, i mostly use it for web browsing and typing.

Zeke D
Oct 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
PowerMac G5 used for creative suite 3 (mostly DW & PS though), Apple Logic Pro 8, Final Cut Express 4, iTunes, DVD ripping, iWork, iLife and several games. This along with web browsing, I retry much use it for everything daily.

Jethryn Freyman
Oct 18, 2012, 08:22 AM
Everything.

My Macbook is only used when I'm away from home, it just doesn't have the capacity, USB ports, or display outputs that I like to use.

MultiFinder17
Oct 18, 2012, 07:10 PM
My iMac G4 is used as a third monitor on my desk (my 2009 mini has the other two), and for all of my writing.

ixodes
Oct 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
What do you use yours for?

Now I'm really glad I kept my spotless, pristine 2002 PowerBook G4 Ti.

Unlike my recent purchases from Apple this laptop came out of the box scratch and ding free. Then I expected it, now I don't.

Little did I realize that going forward Apple quality control would deteriorate as it has.

Not only that it's _still_ scratch and ding free after simply using a little care, and a Booq case and sleeve. It traveled the world with me for over a year performing all the tasks I needed to do for work.

These days I simply use it for writing, web surfing and fun since it's no longer capable of the work I do. Yet that aside it's an astounding story, as the only part that has required replacement, is the predictable need to replace the spent battery after a few years.

What a nice machine :)

LOLZpersonok
Oct 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
Now I'm really glad I kept my spotless, pristine 2002 PowerBook G4 Ti.

Unlike my recent purchases from Apple this laptop came out of the box scratch and ding free. Then I expected it, now I don't.

Little did I realize that going forward Apple quality control would deteriorate as it has.

Not only that it's _still_ scratch and ding free after simply using a little care, and a Booq case and sleeve. It traveled the world with me for over a year performing all the tasks I needed to do for work.

These days I simply use it for writing, web surfing and fun since it's no longer capable of the work I do. Yet that aside it's an astounding story, as the only part that has required replacement, is the predictable need to replace the spent battery after a few years.

What a nice machine :)

I have to agree with you. My friend's iBook G4 is still in pretty good shape despite taking some abuse. It's a shame now that Apple's new products use casings that scratch and dent so easily. It looks nice, but there's that downside. The same thing applies with PC laptops and desktops that use the same or similar casing style and techniques.

My iMac G3 and PowerMac G4 are still in good shape, just need to be wiped down.

It's a real shame that most computers nowadays aren't as durable and don't last as long as they used to. I've got 14 year old computers, all are still fast and none have bad capacitors or other hardware. I have a 13 year old computer running on the OEM installation of Windows. Even still, my 2003 PowerMac G4 is still running the OS that was installed in 2005 or so.

ixodes
Oct 19, 2012, 06:47 PM
I have to agree with you. My friend's iBook G4 is still in pretty good shape despite taking some abuse. It's a shame now that Apple's new products use casings that scratch and dent so easily. It looks nice, but there's that downside. The same thing applies with PC laptops and desktops that use the same or similar casing style and techniques.

My iMac G3 and PowerMac G4 are still in good shape, just need to be wiped down.

It's a real shame that most computers nowadays aren't as durable and don't last as long as they used to. I've got 14 year old computers, all are still fast and none have bad capacitors or other hardware. I have a 13 year old computer running on the OEM installation of Windows. Even still, my 2003 PowerMac G4 is still running the OS that was installed in 2005 or so.

Well said. I concur.

PowerPCMacMan
Oct 19, 2012, 11:30 PM
Well, I use the last version of PowerBook G4's. The dual-layer, hi-res model which is 17 inch. This is my main, everyday machine I use outside of my house. I use it for light encoding(very light), tweaking, tinkering with, etc.. browse the internet and general use.

My other PowerPC machine is my G4 Pismo which I use to run OS 9 related work, such as old wordprocessing and old game playing. Trying to figure out a way to watch youtube somewhat in Mac OS 9, though I have Tiger 10.4.11 on it. It was a G3 500, but recently put in the Wegener Media G4 550 chip, hence where you get Pismo G4.

I had an MDD Dual 1.25 w/2MB L3 Cache, a Sawtooth 500mhz, and a Digital Audio G4, but all are gone ever since I went to a G5 Quad.. and from there the rest is history. Due to financial constraints, I had to sell off my Quad. Perhaps one day I will get the Quad again, but my 6-core Mac Pro is being used as a file storage server and print server to all my remaining machines.

DrakkenWar
Oct 20, 2012, 02:37 AM
I have posted a bit here and there on most of these threads. For those that still hold on to their PPCS.
I still have to say that I love my PB G4 1.5.:D I use this beast more than any other mac in my house. It went with my on my recent trip to Texas and did everything I asked of it. It sits on the couch with me for light browsing and write ups for game reviews. Email? Check. Document editing? Done. Light web browsing? Sure. Movies while I was on the flight? Yuppers and done. I understand gravitating toward the new shinnies. Hell, I did so myself when I bought my mini. But like many have said. There is something about these PPC's that keep the loyal on them. Keep them happy, proud and mucking on with them.

So most days? My PPC is my go to mac for everything that I do in a day. I can search jobs, a bit of youtube, TeamView back to my intel mac and linux boxes. ScreenShare out to my wife's MacBook, the only real thing I wish I had here would be Evernote and Wunderlist support. With a little bit of muckeriery Dropbox works for the time being.

eyoungren
Oct 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evernote. (http://macpowerpc.com/2012/06/04/evernote-for-mac-powerpc/) :)

The Firefox Evernote addon also works in TenFourFox and AuroraFox.

Jessica Lares
Oct 20, 2012, 06:13 PM
http://www.wunderlist.com There's the web version.

wobegong
Oct 22, 2012, 03:09 AM
the only real thing I wish I had here would be Evernote and Wunderlist support. With a little bit of muckeriery Dropbox works for the time being.

I have an old version of Evernote that works fine and still operates well with my (more up to date) phone and laptop clients. Dropbox also, although an older version it still works perfectly on Leopard (for now...)

DrakkenWar
Oct 22, 2012, 09:57 PM
I have an old version of Evernote that works fine and still operates well with my (more up to date) phone and laptop clients. Dropbox also, although an older version it still works perfectly on Leopard (for now...)

That is awesome. I guess my google-foo hasn't been up to part as of late then. I have not had any success in locating an evernote client that will work with 10.5.8 ppc. Guess it's time to start looking again.

Thanks!

wobegong
Oct 22, 2012, 11:29 PM
That is awesome. I guess my google-foo hasn't been up to part as of late then. I have not had any success in locating an evernote client that will work with 10.5.8 ppc. Guess it's time to start looking again.

Thanks!

Evernote : http://cl.ly/1I3a0Y3f26282k3p2a0E
Dropbox : http://mac.oldapps.com/dropbox_for_mac.php?old_dropbox_for_mac=1235?download

DrakkenWar
Oct 23, 2012, 01:06 AM
Y'all are awesome! Those posts fixed a few things I didn't have time to find! Thanks much!

powerpcguy
Oct 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
Writing a dissertation! Desktop at home, office laptop, and laptop for traveling--dropbox and Word 2008 work perfectly well on Power PC machines. So, no need to change here for quite some time hopefully. Plus, I just really love the aesthetics of my MDD with old school 17" studio display. For some reason the Apple's "clear plastic phase" still seems great to me.

Here's a pic of Susan Sontag's old set-up... I love it. http://mattthomas.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/sontag-large.jpg

choodalls
Oct 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
While it is still living my G5 is still in use. However, when my G4 died it got re-cycled by converting the case to micro ATX. My G5 will probably go the same way. I used a G4 conversion kit from www.thelaserhive.com and may well also get a G5 kit from them when the time comes......
The G5 by the way is a 2.7GHz dual with LCS and it is still working well.

keremtezcan
Oct 29, 2012, 12:27 PM
Title says all. I use my Power Mac G5 way more than my i7 2.8 Ghz MacBook Pro Late 2011

chapmac
Oct 30, 2012, 10:41 AM
Our G4 Imac is now exclusively an XBMC machine in the kids playroom, serving up mainly a diet of Postman Pat, Cloudbabies, and Abney and Teal and other assorted content for the under 5s.

Works great as none of this is HD, mostly off BBC Iplayer etc plus the occasional recording off the TV. The G4 form factor is perfect for this - it sits on top of a bookcase where they can't get hold of it and can swivel perfectly.

Subish
Oct 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
My Power Mac G5 2.3DP is now a server.

my media via iTunes (looking into different way now it unsupported)
Host a few webs sites like forums and a Blacknova trader game. (Apache, PHP, MySQL) Which was pain to update from source.
converting dvds
shares my printers.
host my SVN for my current projects out side of work.
backup location from all my other computers in the house.
Personal Ventrilo Server

I'm sure I can find more things for it to do.

Colpeas
Oct 30, 2012, 12:18 PM
I used my Dual-Core 2GHz G5 as a server for a couple of months, but I found the Leopard Server extremely buggy, so I turned it into my main desktop computer after all.

I use it for basic web browsing via Safari with 1fatbastard's Flash 11 plugin, hosting my iTunes Library and syncing my iPods (fortunately neither of my iPods - 3rd gen Shuffle and 7th gen classic - need iTunes 10.7), also for media sharing across my home network, as a download station (long live the uTorrent), and to store everything my 128GB Air can't hold (I have two 1,5TB WD Black drives in it set in mirrored RAID).

Honestly, when at home, I usually leave my '12 Air in my schoolbag or hooked up to a charger and rather use my G5 instead. With 8gis of RAM it runs very smooth and is capable of carrying out most of the tasks it throw at it - as long as the needed app is PPC compatible. For the rest I use the Air - obviously. Anyway, I my PPC Mac and I'm planning on keeping it as long as it works.

Zotaccian
Nov 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
My MBP charger exploded couple days ago and while waiting for replacement I have used my PowerBook G4 as my laptop. It is quite slow honestly and simple tasks such as playing YouTube -videos (by using a web browser which I don't do), browsing a web page with GIF -animations or performing Google image search will bring it down to it's knees and make you familiar with the beach ball. It is still great machine when doing something where the G4 is not the bottleneck.

BRyken
Nov 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
I gave my iMac G5 to my parents and they still use it. Its no upgradable and really slow, but they don't know any better. ;)

ihuman:D
Nov 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
My MBP charger exploded couple days ago and while waiting for replacement I have used my PowerBook G4 as my laptop. It is quite slow honestly and simple tasks such as playing YouTube -videos (by using a web browser which I don't do), browsing a web page with GIF -animations or performing Google image search will bring it down to it's knees and make you familiar with the beach ball. It is still great machine when doing something where the G4 is not the bottleneck.

Google images works great for me(in Camino anyway) and I use mactubes for youtube.

Zotaccian
Nov 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Well Camino seems to work dramatically better for Google image search! Yes, I also use something else than regular Flash plugin for YouTube (YouView).

Goftrey
Nov 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
My dual processor 1.8ghz PowerMac G5, with 4gb RAM & the GeForce 6800 Ultra is used for everything. You name it, web-surfing, email, media/file/FTP server, iTunes, Spotify, word processing, keynote presentations, games, photo & video editing, Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Express/Pro 7, Windows XP in Virtual PC 7, torrents & more. I run & do absolutely everything on my G5 & plan to do so for the forceable future. I love my G5 and have absolutely no intent in jumping on the main machine Intel bandwagon anytime soon.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/photo-3-1.jpg

Nov 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
My dual processor 1.8ghz PowerMac G5, with 4gb RAM & the GeForce 6800 Ultra is used for everything. You name it, web-surfing, email, media/file/FTP server, iTunes, Spotify, word processing, keynote presentations, games, photo & video editing, Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Express/Pro 7, Windows XP in Virtual PC 7, torrents & more. I run & do absolutely everything on my G5 & plan to do so for the forceable future. I love my G5 and have absolutely no intent in jumping on the main machine Intel bandwagon anytime soon.

Image (http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/photo-3-1.jpg)

How does VPC7 run? What is your emulated CPU?

skateny
Nov 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
I use my iBook for just about everything. . .VLC/MPlayer, MacTubes, Camino, Word Processing, Web Surfing, AVC, Spotify, iCloud (via Fluid). Don't spend much time with streaming video and, if this were a priority for me, I'd really need to think about upgrading. Got a replacement battery and, between that and the original, I get ~4.5 - 5.5 hours, depending on what I'm doing. Replaced Airport Extreme with a WiFi signal booster and get super range and power. Have yet to have a deal-breaker moment when I know it's time to move to Intel, but have had enough days in which I think about it. Love what my iBook does too much to leave it behind or place it in a home.:)

Zeke D
Nov 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
How does VPC7 run? What is your emulated CPU?

I use vpc7 as well, mostly to play the really old magic: the gathering PC game. It runs about as good as a 7-10 year old commuter runs. I dislike being limited to 1gb ram though. I used to keep a dual P/// 1ghz with 1gb ram for playing it, but I have retired it to a shelf in my garage.

----------

iCloud (via Fluid).

I just use iClouds web interface. Is there a way to make it integrated like ML?

76ShovelHead
Nov 26, 2012, 04:30 PM
My 2005 or 2006 eMac 1.25 Ghz 1GB was passed down to my mom last year when her 2005 Compaq v4000 hinges broke and wouldn't turn on anymore. Complete POS, as I recall the last Compaq we owned had those very same problems before it officially wouldn't turn on anymore. Hinges go first, hard drives second, power jack last.

Anyways, it's her main (and only) computer. She gets web browsing (G4 optimized Camino runs best), facebook, msn, mail (G4 optimized thunderbird), word processing (I believe she has Office and iWork), solitaire, and of course Spotify. This machine had some problems in the past where it would just shut down, I look inside and cleaned it up. No bad caps, oddly enough changing the power cord every once and a while would fix it. She could use a speedier HDD on it too. But for now we're working on getting 2gb of ram in that tank.

WardC
Nov 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
My friend got my interested -- I've never owned a G5 before, and was curious to see how the system performs, so I got one. I found a G5 Quad on eBay in pretty much mint condition, it's the late 2005 model but was produced in September 2006, so it has the revision 2 single-pump LCS system (which he recommended). It came with 8GB/500GB HD/7800GT Graphics. I expanded the RAM to 16GB with OWC memory. I also added an Apple Airport Runway card which I purchased from eBay.

I've only had the machine two weeks, but I must say I am impressed. It runs very well and is very responsive and fast. It does not feel as fast as the Mac Pros I have owned, or my 27" i7 iMac, Retina MacBook Pro...but it feels like a PowerPC machine, and not an Intel....because it is!! And it can run AppleWorks!! Whoot!! Yes, and of course PowerPC native applications, which Lion or Mountain Lion Intel Macs cannot.

I've installed Photoshop CS3 and Dreamweaver on it, Office 2004, a host of web browsers and other various free apps, and I hope to try out Bryce 5.5 on it this week and do some 3D Landscape rendering. I bet the thing will be fast. I don't like Bryce on the Intel Macs, the older versions are much better in my opinion.

My G5 is sitting in my office downtown at work looking good right now :-) Sitting right next to my Macintosh IIfx on the desk.

WAIT -- I have a picture!!

http://www.wardcurry.com/powermacg5.jpg

Very awesome machine.

MisterKeeks
Nov 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
Could you use the TIMG tags? It's a bit hard to see! ;)

Thanks

WardC
Nov 26, 2012, 08:22 PM
I edited it for size. Hope it looks better now.

ChrisMan287
Nov 26, 2012, 09:02 PM
My PPC is my main computer. I use it for everything :D

wesco
Nov 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
my ibook g4 is used in the kitchen. pyrcast for pandora radio and yummysoup for recipes.

macgeek18
Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 AM
iMac G4 is my (when my pc is to overloaded from virtual machines) web machine.
My PM just sits in the box now adays, she used to be my back up system and my install via FW400 machine for older Macs but now my iMac can do the same thing. Poor old PM. It was my first Mac too about 5 years ago.:(

jbarley
Nov 27, 2012, 12:43 AM
Used for the same things as when I first purchased it.

seveej
Nov 27, 2012, 03:00 AM
I donated/loaned my old G4 PB (1 Ghz), 17" to my father. He's 80, and he does his correspondence and web stuff on it. He loves the big pixels.

My Dual MDD is working as a home server (file repository backup), which it does pretty well thanks to a SATA card and two huge drives.

I had a PMG5, but was annoyed by the simultaneous need for a PC workstation, so I sold both and got an iMac, which (thanks to bootcamp and parallels) ran both platforms.

Of all the Mac's I've had and sold, the only ones I really miss are a PBG4 12", that G5 and the first (and only) Alu Macbook.

RGDS,

Jethryn Freyman
Nov 27, 2012, 04:31 AM
awww yeah, same as me, though I got the ATI Fire GL graphics card. I'd be interested in seeing what OpenMark score you get...

SkyBell
Nov 27, 2012, 06:00 AM
My eMac does everything I do on a computer. Which honestly, isn't a whole lot. Light web browsing, iTunes, iChat, some light audio editing and DVD ripping.

It isn't a speed demon at any of these things, but thankfully I am a patient person. I don't mind the 3+ minute boot time, or the fact that it usually takes between 24-48 hours to rip a movie. Or that YouTube...well, it doesn't really work. At all. If I had to use the machine for work, that might be a different story. But as is, my time spent on my eMac is personal, messing around time, of which has little to no value. ;)

However, I find it pretty funny that it keeps pace pretty easily with my netbook at most any task (with a few exceptions) which is 4 years newer. :D

Goftrey
Nov 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
awww yeah, same as me, though I got the ATI Fire GL graphics card. I'd be interested in seeing what OpenMark score you get...

There ya' go.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16355192#post16355192

heartsglory
Nov 27, 2012, 01:27 PM
Mine is my main machine. I use it for developing websites for clients, video editing for my father-in-law and some great classic gaming!

Imixmuan
Nov 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=SkyBell;16371712. Or that YouTube...well, it doesn't really work. At all.[/QUOTE]

You're a highly competent regular poster so I imagine you know about youview, mactubes, and leopard webkit with click to plugin will play youtube via quicktime (360p, or what we used to call "high quality" before everyone thought they had a constitutional right to 1080p) very comfortably inside the browser on my 1.07 ghz ibook, which is 40% slower than your eMac.

To anyone who happens upon this post: Youtube on anything faster than a 700 mhz G4 is totally doable, provided you avoid the evil that is Flash.

macgeek18
Nov 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
Just setup my first desk area in over a year, I'm listening to my favorite local radio station online and playing Rise Of Nations Gold on the iMac. Love the old G4's for this, they just chug along.

SkyBell
Nov 28, 2012, 12:14 AM
You're a highly competent regular poster so I imagine you know about youview, mactubes, and leopard webkit with click to plugin will play youtube via quicktime (360p, or what we used to call "high quality" before everyone thought they had a constitutional right to 1080p) very comfortably inside the browser on my 1.07 ghz ibook, which is 40% slower than your eMac.

To anyone who happens upon this post: Youtube on anything faster than a 700 mhz G4 is totally doable, provided you avoid the evil that is Flash.

Of course there's little workarounds like these (I do have MacTubes installed), but I was referring more to that it just doesn't work, "right out of the box" like it would on most newer machines. My clarification is notoriously absent is most of my posts. ;)

iMikeT
Nov 28, 2012, 03:11 AM
G4 notebook used as a netbook. Well, except for when I need to access YouTube. I'll use my iPhone (original, 4, and 5) to access YouTube content before I use my notebook. Other than that, it's great for emails and light web surfing.

SmurfBoxMasta
Nov 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
What is your PowerPC Mac used for now?

Go ask your momma.....she knows but I doubt she will tell you, since it involves things that we can't talk about on here :) :)

Imixmuan
Nov 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
G4 notebook used as a netbook. Well, except for when I need to access YouTube. I'll use my iPhone (original, 4, and 5) to access YouTube content before I use my notebook. Other than that, it's great for emails and light web surfing.

Use mactubes, youview, viewtube greasemonkey script and or click to plugin in leopard webkit and your G4 netbook should have no problem with Youtube either.

keremtezcan
Nov 30, 2012, 01:55 AM
Everything. I use it more then my MacBook Pro Intel Core i7 2.8 Ghz!

rjcalifornia
Nov 30, 2012, 10:05 AM

Yeah, the iBook G4 can be considered as a 'netbook' except that I can run Photoshop CS3 and deal with 14.0 MP pictures with no issues.

As for Youtube, I have no issues. I can watch 360p with Safari. Of course my ibook G4 has 1.2 Ghz and 1.25 of RAM

jodelli
Mar 23, 2013, 10:55 PM
Right now nearly everything runs on my iMac G5 iSight since my Mac Book went south.
I'll have another Book this week at which time the iMac will go back to ripping and rendering.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8582160487_df2820809b.jpg

That little black box plugged in behind the iMac contains the MacBook drive.

LOLZpersonok
Mar 24, 2013, 04:04 PM
I saw this one store at Market Mall in my city that still uses the iMac G4's. There's two of them sitting on the counter for the main lobby.

MisterMorse
Mar 24, 2013, 10:36 PM
My G5 Quad is my main computer. I do everything with it. Web surfing, email, Photoshop (touching up old family photos), genealogy, video editing, music (streamed to my receiver downstairs), Youtube, watch an occasional movie (prefer the couch downstairs) and anything and everything else.:)

Jessica Lares
Mar 24, 2013, 11:49 PM
My G5 is going to the living room by the end of the week to replacing my parents' 2004 HP tower that is on its last legs and the logic board about to fry. Funny enough, the Power Mac is older. Should be a smooth transition. They'll actually be able to sync their iPhones and iPods with it. :D.

aajeevlin
Jun 2, 2013, 10:39 PM
What are you guys running your Powerbook G4 12'' with? I have 10.5.8 on it, and it is running extremely sluggish(or maybe this is expected?).

wobegong
Jun 2, 2013, 11:47 PM
After all this talk I got all nostalgic last week and brought my G5 out of retirement as an XBMC server and replaced it with my old MB. Spent about two days reinstalling Office, PS, Skype, Aperture, Perian, Transmission, Evernote, Dropbox, MacTubes, iTunes, Spotify, VLC, iStatmenus, Syncmate (not tried this before but installed following the good things I've read about it here for a trial), few games (Quake4, Doom3, Amnesia, BF1942, UT2004) and after re familiarising myself with Webkit (frequent beach balling), TFF etc. settled on Roccat which I had no previous experience of but so far seems absolutely perfect.

If I'm honest it feels kind of good to be back with it, lets see if I can organise my requirements between the MBP and the G5 such that I can avoid the frustrations that led me to switch full time to the MBP previously and keep that purely as a travel companion (as my travel is increasing again recently).
Looking for a Skype replacement will be No.1 on the list for video calls.. Jitsi?...iChat Google Talk...has to be something compatible with iPad/PC/Modern Mac...

P.S. - Will be adding a spare 256Gb SSD as the boot drive (will Carbon Copy clone the current 2Tb drive across and then keep that as a second drive for data storage (music/photos/videos etc).

ftored
Jun 3, 2013, 07:08 AM
What are you guys running your Powerbook G4 12'' with? I have 10.5.8 on it, and it is running extremely sluggish(or maybe this is expected?).

I always install leopard 10.5.8 on it but then i find it unbearable to use so i revert to 10.4.11. I use office 2004, dropbox, tenfourfox, mactubes (bit choppy) and that's about it. I find the OS with these apps is just fine for the simple tasks i need it (papers reading and writing) until i get a new laptop as my Air died

aajeevlin
Jun 3, 2013, 01:02 PM
I always install leopard 10.5.8 on it but then i find it unbearable to use so i revert to 10.4.11. I use office 2004, dropbox, tenfourfox, mactubes (bit choppy) and that's about it. I find the OS with these apps is just fine for the simple tasks i need it (papers reading and writing) until i get a new laptop as my Air died

Thanks. I have been thinking to put 10.4.11 back into that machine. I would like to use it for paper writing (Tex) and reading. I glad dropbox is there. Maybe I will put Tiger back into it. Besides that, I have to find a used fan to put into the machine, as the fan on my Powerbook is extremely loud.

tampasteve
Jun 3, 2013, 01:21 PM
I use my iBooks as basic notebooks and the PowerMac G4 is used for basic computing. Nothing fancy, but as basic computers one cannot beat the combination of price and functionality, not to mention style.:cool:

ftored
Jun 4, 2013, 02:33 AM
Thanks. I have been thinking to put 10.4.11 back into that machine. I would like to use it for paper writing (Tex) and reading. I glad dropbox is there. Maybe I will put Tiger back into it. Besides that, I have to find a used fan to put into the machine, as the fan on my Powerbook is extremely loud.

Funny you should mention the fan thing. I posted 3 days ago about the fact that i broke the fan connector off the motherboard and i need somehow to solder it back. Or find some other method for cooling it sufficiently.

I can't remember if the dropbox updates or which version runs, as i had it installed a long time ago, but i know that it syncs correctly.:) with tiger the performance is great and can't really tell that is a ten year old machine

aajeevlin
Jun 5, 2013, 12:18 AM
Funny you should mention the fan thing. I posted 3 days ago about the fact that i broke the fan connector off the motherboard and i need somehow to solder it back. Or find some other method for cooling it sufficiently.

I can't remember if the dropbox updates or which version runs, as i had it installed a long time ago, but i know that it syncs correctly.:) with tiger the performance is great and can't really tell that is a ten year old machine

The fan has been the biggest issue so far (other then the dented corner). Just purchased a used replacement, we'll see how that works out.

JaguarGod
Jun 5, 2013, 08:19 AM
Well, I am saddened to say that the only PPC Macs I have left are my upgraded G4 Sawtooth and my G5 Quad. But both of them now are in storage. I cannot seem to get rid of the G4 because I love the way it looks. The color scheme and the tower along with the matching 15" LCD just look great together. As far as the G5, I want to use it for something, but what?

SimonUK5
Jun 5, 2013, 10:15 AM
I have a PowerBook G3 Lombard which i'm still kinda half waiting to get a hard drive cable for. Once i have that, i'll probably sell it or keep it around incase i ever need something just to get some writing done on.

I have a 400Mhz PowerMac G4 underneath my desk as well, which i'm keeping incase i run into any older studio hardware that i can't run with my MacbookPro.

Simon

powermi
Jun 5, 2013, 11:42 AM
ill post my setup to give a example.
My loved 12" ibook is docked to my TV and my HiFi speakers, as my media Streamer.
the powerbook 15" is my main surft machine with Linux inside.
a powemac g4 is my media server, and timemachine backup for the rest of computers.
another powermac is my prefered computer for photo editing.

i also have two more powermacs for spares, another ibook 14" and two x86 computers, one for gaming.

i dont mind if my x86 conmputers are faster, i prefer to work with POWERPC computers. and i still invest money in them. i know that they are tanks and will live forever.

SaberBlock
Jun 14, 2013, 03:51 AM
I've just got back into using a 2.3Ghz G5 as my main machine (felt like a change after a few years of Windows 7) - with the exception of video streaming there's nothing it seems to have any problems with (and even then it's down to being unsupported as oppose to having a lack of horsepower).

Will probably upgrade to 4GB of RAM (it's only 30 after all) and then wait until we get a Haswell Mini... then finally transition over to Intel (yeah, yeah I know... that'll probably be in 18 months!)

With the exception of online banking (I get worried about lack of security updates - not sure if this is founded or not?!) and video streaming (Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer etc..) I have no need for anything else. I keep the iPad next to the second monitor for anything the PPC doesn't like (or anything I don't like the PPC doing!) so don't feel like I'm missing out on anything!

powermi
Jun 15, 2013, 04:16 AM
the problem with the security matters is just with osx 10.5 and early, my advice: put another HDD in your machine and install Lubuntu, Mint or Debian. and keep Osx for non internet activity.

Jun 15, 2013, 07:26 AM
the problem with the security matters is just with osx 10.5 and early, my advice: put another HDD in your machine and install Lubuntu, Mint or Debian. and keep Osx for non internet activity.

If your not doing anything serious (e.g. banking) then you could just use the newest WebKit with Safari or other WebKit browsers that just embed WebKit and rely on the system installed version or use TenFourFox or AuroraFox.

MisterKeeks
Jun 15, 2013, 07:48 PM
I've just got back into using a 2.3Ghz G5 as my main machine (felt like a change after a few years of Windows 7) - with the exception of video streaming there's nothing it seems to have any problems with (and even then it's down to being unsupported as oppose to having a lack of horsepower).

Will probably upgrade to 4GB of RAM (it's only 30 after all) and then wait until we get a Haswell Mini... then finally transition over to Intel (yeah, yeah I know... that'll probably be in 18 months!)

With the exception of online banking (I get worried about lack of security updates - not sure if this is founded or not?!) and video streaming (Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer etc..) I have no need for anything else. I keep the iPad next to the second monitor for anything the PPC doesn't like (or anything I don't like the PPC doing!) so don't feel like I'm missing out on anything!

Have you tried the modified flash plugin or XBMC for I player, clicktoplugin for general browsing.

Christine1234
Jun 15, 2013, 10:06 PM
The PowerPC G5 is my main computer. The grape iMac G3 is my backup and occasionally used for watching DVD's. The slot loading Bondi G3 gets used once in a while for fun. The eMac G4 is sitting waiting for me to change out a capacitor. The 7600/132 runs OS 8 and is used as a stand-alone for documents and OS 8 educational software. I like it that way and don't plan to put a newer OS on it. I'm trying to fix a Flower Power iMac G3, and the SE runs System 6 and gets used for documents.

The Windows laptop gets used for a doorstop.

Nameci
Jun 16, 2013, 12:23 AM
The PowerPC G5 is my main computer. The grape iMac G3 is my backup and occasionally used for watching DVD's. The slot loading Bondi G3 gets used once in a while for fun. The eMac G4 is sitting waiting for me to change out a capacitor. The 7600/132 runs OS 8 and is used as a stand-alone for documents and OS 8 educational software. I like it that way and don't plan to put a newer OS on it. I'm trying to fix a Flower Power iMac G3, and the SE runs System 6 and gets used for documents.

The Windows laptop gets used for a doorstop.

Pretty nice use for your windows laptop right there.

roadbloc
Jun 16, 2013, 03:25 AM
I still use my iMac G4 for writing and music playing. And frying eggs upon in the morning.

gr8tfly
Jun 16, 2013, 03:30 AM
Still running a B&W PM G3 as a mail and web server (OS X Server 10.2). It's been running virtually 24/7 for the last 10 years.

I also have a PM G4 933 GHz running Leopard Server that I will eventually use in place of the G3.

tigerintank
Jun 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
Right now I use my imac g5 mainly to play music and occasionally music videos. Sitting at a desk is a bit of a problem due to a leg injury, so I cant use the imac for anything else just now.

Use my intel macbook for all other stuff - internet/mail/work/docs etc

mrchinchilla
Jun 16, 2013, 09:41 PM
With me having been away from them consistently for the past three years, they do nothing but gather dust.

SkyBell
Jun 16, 2013, 11:11 PM
My eMac has definitely taken on less of a daily role since I purchased a MacBook, but it still gets a good bit of use for nearly everything I do. Right now, I am listening to iTunes, chatting on AIM and creating this post on it. :)

snarfquest
Jun 18, 2013, 03:01 PM
My father is still using my old 8100/100 to run his HO Model train layout.

MacMadness
Jun 19, 2013, 10:21 AM
Using 3 PowerMac G5's (Dual 1.8ghz and 2 Dual 2.0ghz(8Gbs of ram in each) and a 2003 1.25ghz 20" imac (2Gb ram) all running OS X10.5.8/itunes 10.1/Puremusic with 4TB external HD's serving up aiff files in various listening rooms around the house.

Music files range from 44.100khz CD rips to 24/192khz pristine vinyl rips.

Typical set up is Mac>>M2Tech Hiface>>Monarchy 24/96 Dip>>Monarchy 48/96 upsampler>>DAC>> tube buffer>>out to amps.

They all perform flawlessly and the music is audiophile quality. And I still get to enjoy my old Power PPC's which I hope to never part with.

powermi
Jun 19, 2013, 01:17 PM
WOW! nice setup. for what do you use the G5? for storage/server?
the imac g4 is a great option if you need a silent machine on your studio.

Jun 19, 2013, 01:37 PM
I wish I had a 20", I have a 17".

MacMadness
Jun 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
WOW! nice setup. for what do you use the G5? for storage/server?
the imac g4 is a great option if you need a silent machine on your studio.

Thanks for the kind comments.
The G5's (and imac run OSX/itunes/and the Puremusic software which attaches itself and overides itunes as the digital source software. The music sounds much smoother with a larger soundstage and better detail
compared with itunes.

It stores each track in memory during playback and requires a minimum of 2 GB of ram (but runs much better with 4-8GB) especially when processing 24/192Khz files. It really does an amazing job at capturing nuances in the music that are lacking in itunes.

There are are other software programs such as Audirvana Plus and Amarra which are arguably a notch above Pure Music but require 2008 and newer Intel Macs to run.

The beauty of PureMusic is I can use it seamlessly between 10.5.8 (PPC or Intel) and 10.6.8 (Intel) and it works equally as well on both platforms with itunes 10.1 as the server.

It took about 2 years to collect, convert and compile all the metadata and album art for 3.6GB of music that resides on the 4TB external drives. Of course none of it its compatible with the newer crappy, bloated IOS infested horror show that poses as itunes these days, so I will be sticking with the current hardware/software configuration for the foreseeable future.

It all works so well, so there's no reason go tearing it all apart.

Here's a couple more pics of Computer based stereo porn. (a couple of the rooms utilize ipods for 44.100 Khz playback though wadia docks but that's a story for a different thread....

powermi
Jun 20, 2013, 08:36 AM
i have my ibook linked to my HS50 speakers, but i have to use itunes cause i play the music remotely from my server in other room.

snarfquest
Jun 20, 2013, 09:23 AM
Klipsch Quartets Nice! I have the same speakers. LOVE THEM!

Using 3 PowerMac G5's (Dual 1.8ghz and 2 Dual 2.0ghz(8Gbs of ram in each) and a 2003 1.25ghz 20" imac (2Gb ram) all running OS X10.5.8/itunes 10.1/Puremusic with 4TB external HD's serving up aiff files in various listening rooms around the house.

Music files range from 44.100khz CD rips to 24/192khz pristine vinyl rips.

Typical set up is Mac>>M2Tech Hiface>>Monarchy 24/96 Dip>>Monarchy 48/96 upsampler>>DAC>> tube buffer>>out to amps.

They all perform flawlessly and the music is audiophile quality. And I still get to enjoy my old Power PPC's which I hope to never part with.

MacMadness
Jun 20, 2013, 09:33 AM
Klipsch Quartets Nice! I have the same speakers. LOVE THEM!

Awesome.
Thanks.
The Quartets and Fortes are Bob Crites fortified with x-overs and tweeter upgrades. They punch way above their respective price classes...

WMD
Jun 20, 2013, 11:33 AM
Wow, I feel inadequate posting after those audio setup pics :p

My PowerBook G4 12" is currently under my bed running OGR-27 packets for distributed.net. (The G4 is, oddly enough, the most efficient CPU available, per clock, for this task.) Running 10.4, it's also my go-to machine for any Classic apps. It's been a while since I've felt the need, though.

GermanyChris
Jun 20, 2013, 12:41 PM
Here's a couple more pics of Computer based stereo porn. (a couple of the rooms utilize ipods for 44.100 Khz playback though wadia docks but that's a story for a different thread....

What does this mean, thats what my home theater reciever say's when I hook the TOSLINK cable to it Digital 44.1Khz. I don't hear well enough to concern myself over audio quality so I'm just wondering.

Wildy
Jun 20, 2013, 01:35 PM
Digital audio is not a continuous wave, but instead a stream of values which represent the amplitude of the wave at a specific time interval, just like how a video can be thought of as a series of discrete frames.

The more samples (snapshots of the wave) you have per second, the closer to a continuous wave it gets, meaning it is a more authentic representation of the original wave being recorded, and thus the better it sounds - similar I guess to how a video with a higher FPS looks more fluid.

44.1kHz is chosen as the sample rate because of a theory which states that the highest possible frequency you are able to represent is half that of the sampling frequency - so ~40kHz is chosen because it is double the upper hearing range of a human.

MacMadness
Jun 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
What does this mean, thats what my home theater reciever say's when I hook the TOSLINK cable to it Digital 44.1Khz. I don't hear well enough to concern myself over audio quality so I'm just wondering.

Without knowing what the source material is, 1411Khz (44.100 KHZ) is CD quality playback and the sample rate they are mastered at.

MP3's usually have sample rates of 128kbps, 256kbps, or 320kbps by comparison*.
*Corrections courtesy of Wildy

Wildy
Jun 20, 2013, 03:55 PM
Do you not mean MP3s have 128 [...] bitrates?

keremtezcan
Jun 20, 2013, 04:14 PM
I'm down to just my iMac G5 at this point. :(

Mostly, I use it as a terminal for accessing my x86_64 Linux box and as a front end for my media server when I'm in my home office. It handles both of those jobs with aplomb since I don't have any HD content to stream.

iMac G5s were known for failing! Watch out!

----------

I use my Power Mac G5 for the whole Creative Suite package, rendering 3D with Poser, Bryce, practicing Unity 3D, and I'm trying to get a copy of Autodesk Maya for PPC, so I can use it as my main machine as my MacBook Pro screen is too small. It renders really fast actually. Do a lot of coding on it too. I want to throw a copy of Logic on it too.

The iMac G4, I do some rendering on it too, but it's mainly my family's machine, and I usually just use one of the Bannister emulators to play Genesis ROMs when I'm not using the Xbox in the living room as the screen is awesome for that.

I'm planning on adding some authoring software to my clamshell too (running OS 9). Need to figure out just what though.

Which version of the CS Suite are you using and what programming language do you work on? Thanks.

----------

Well, I am saddened to say that the only PPC Macs I have left are my upgraded G4 Sawtooth and my G5 Quad. But both of them now are in storage. I cannot seem to get rid of the G4 because I love the way it looks. The color scheme and the tower along with the matching 15" LCD just look great together. As far as the G5, I want to use it for something, but what?

Well, you could give it to me :rolleyes:
Lol just jk

----------

My PPC is my main computer. I use it for everything :D
Why? PPC is getting outdated why use it as a main computer?

----------

I donated/loaned my old G4 PB (1 Ghz), 17" to my father. He's 80, and he does his correspondence and web stuff on it. He loves the big pixels.

My Dual MDD is working as a home server (file repository backup), which it does pretty well thanks to a SATA card and two huge drives.

I had a PMG5, but was annoyed by the simultaneous need for a PC workstation, so I sold both and got an iMac, which (thanks to bootcamp and parallels) ran both platforms.

Of all the Mac's I've had and sold, the only ones I really miss are a PBG4 12", that G5 and the first (and only) Alu Macbook.

RGDS,

Aren't big pixels bad?

GermanyChris
Jun 20, 2013, 05:00 PM
Without knowing what the source material is, 44.100Khz is CD quality playback and the sample rate they are mastered at.

MP3's usually have sample rates of 128, 256, or 320KHz by comparison.

Hope that helps.

Movies mostly, DVD and BluRay Rips, as well as streaming it literally doesn't change no matter. If the source is either of my MP's it says the same thing. Thats why I asked..

Is it better than the 128, 256, or 320Khz ?

Wildy
Jun 20, 2013, 05:09 PM
128, 256 etc. is the bitrate. It is the sample rate * how many bits each sample is made from and it is measured in kbps, not kHz.

The sample rate from Bluray should be much higher than 44.1k, so either the settings you used to rip it were incorrect, the output sample rate on your Mac pro is set to 44.1k (check in Audio MIDI setup and audio settings), or the receiver is incapable of playing anything back higher than 44.1k (very unlikely).

MacMadness
Jun 20, 2013, 05:30 PM
128, 256 etc. is the bitrate. It is the sample rate * how many bits each sample is made from and it is measured in kbps, not kHz.

The sample rate from Bluray should be much higher than 44.1k, so either the settings you used to rip it were incorrect, the output sample rate on your Mac pro is set to 44.1k (check in Audio MIDI setup and audio settings), or the receiver is incapable of playing anything back higher than 44.1k (very unlikely).

@Wildy

Thanks for the correction. I didn't mean to mix up bit rates (kpbs) and Sample rates (Khz).
Alot of things are is going on around here (in the middle of changing out/updating my Mac Pro to a newer one and I guess I was unintentionally speaking out of my arse.

I'm not knowledgeable about what the correct sample rates are for DVD's and Bluray since my focus is audio ripped from CD's and Vinyl.

I defer to you sir...

SuperJudge
Jun 21, 2013, 12:42 PM
iMac G5s were known for failing! Watch out!

Considering that I have personally recapped the logic board and replaced the power-supply on it, I'm not too terribly worried about it. ;)

Zotaccian
Jun 21, 2013, 01:15 PM
Aren't big pixels bad?

Some people obviously prefer not having high ppi, I currently own a laptop which has 15,4" screen and 1680 x 1050 resolution. All of my friends who have used it have complained "why is the text so small" like if I would have zoom settings on Firefox etc. Same thing most likely happens when people use retina MBPs. Average user is used to 1366 x 768 or 1280 x 800 resolution on 15" displays.

GermanyChris
Jun 24, 2013, 01:06 PM

I changed it to 96Khz in the audio midi and it sounds better kinda. I'm going to try a .MKV BluRay rip tonight.

I'd like to add as a side note my Quads audio sounded better than either of my MP's

kbfr08
Jun 24, 2013, 01:14 PM
iMac G4, just to look cool, I'll use it when I need to run an old app in classic or just feel like it. I have it set up in my office on the desk, everyone that sees it immediately wants to buy it :D

Powerbook Kanga is used for AOL 3.0.. because all of the old stuff is still up, it's like entering a time machine.

Also have Powermac G5 dual 2.7 and dual 1.8s, which were used for video editing until they died back in 2010 and 2012 :(

SaberBlock
Jun 24, 2013, 06:18 PM
Have you tried the modified flash plugin or XBMC for I player, clicktoplugin for general browsing.

I'd just assumed iPlayer was a no go... however I tried it out the other night and it's flawless in Webkit, TenFourFox and Stainless. Playing on the second monitor the CPU usage sits between 35%-50% which isn't bad at all all things considered - watching Blackadder as I type this :)

Running a late 2005 2.3 Dual G5.

Nameci
Jun 24, 2013, 08:11 PM
I changed it to 96Khz in the audio midi and it sounds better kinda. I'm going to try a .MKV BluRay rip tonight.

I'd like to add as a side note my Quads audio sounded better than either of my MP's

Because our quads are not using Intel HDA chips I guess. My PB's analog audio output are warm sounding, full and pleasing to the ear, while my MB's are tinny, no matter how much I push the limits of the equalizer in iTunes.

wobegong
Jun 25, 2013, 01:52 AM
Because our quads are not using Intel HDA chips I guess. My PB's analog audio output are warm sounding, full and pleasing to the ear, while my MB's are tinny, no matter how much I push the limits of the equalizer in iTunes.

All computer sound chips are rubbish, get speakers with a USB connection that take the raw audio file and process it on their own superior on board processor if you want real music system audio. Anything coming from an audio jack is crippled before it even hits your speaker cable.

Nameci
Jun 25, 2013, 02:12 AM
All computer sound chips are rubbish, get speakers with a USB connection that take the raw audio file and process it on their own superior on board processor if you want real music system audio. Anything coming from an audio jack is crippled before it even hits your speaker cable.

I guess you are right, so it means you need to have an external DSP to convert USB audio to analog.

Aside from MM-1's do you have any speaker in mind that could connect directly to the PowerMacs USB port?

roadbloc
Jun 25, 2013, 02:29 AM
Why? PPC is getting outdated why use it as a main computer?

They are only 'outdated' because Apple made them so. Computers of the age should work fine, maybe not the latest OS, but certainly in support. If the computer does what the poster wants it to do without issue (like mine does), what is the point in buying a new one?

wobegong
Jun 25, 2013, 02:30 AM
I guess you are right, so it means you need to have an external DSP to convert USB audio to analog.

Aside from MM-1's do you have any speaker in mind that could connect directly to the PowerMacs USB port?

There are a few, do a search for onboard processor, Creative did one (rubbish) and so did Bose when I got mine plus the Focal XS, maybe a few others but no not a huge selection if you want true audiophile quality from your computer :) But if you can get it then you have the worlds largest and most flexible music stack system all in a small box, complete with iPad/Phone remote and thousands of tracks on tap :)

Jethryn Freyman
Jun 25, 2013, 03:02 AM
I've got a cheap blue box from eBay with the C-MEDIA CM6206 chip in it, works great.

Anything coming from an audio jack is crippled before it even hits your speaker cable.
Perhaps, but only if you've got a really badass set of speakers. And you've absolutely got to be using high quality source audio, no torrented 320kbit stuff.

wobegong
Jun 25, 2013, 03:10 AM
Perhaps, but only if you've got a really badass set of speakers. And you've absolutely got to be using high quality source audio, no torrented 320kbit stuff.

The speakers are only as good as the audio data they receive, a true music solutuion will have a MUCH better sound processor than the one found in any computer (even a MAC...). Rubbish speakers you won't notice the diffeence but as you go up the sound scale you hear it EASILY...

320kbit is not necessarily torrented, and is irrelevant - it could be from a iTunes CD rip, music should be lossless ideally, otherwise whats the point of listening to it? A CD sounds much better than any kind of MP3/lossy codec, why trash all that sound you've paid for when you rip to get a 2/3 cut result? Disk space is the only valid argument here really (tied up with budget), otherwise as you can only LISTEN to music why deliberately sabotage that experience when you start off with high quality for "free" (CD) ;)

Jun 25, 2013, 09:56 AM
They are only 'outdated' because Apple made them so. Computers of the age should work fine, maybe not the latest OS, but certainly in support. If the computer does what the poster wants it to do without issue (like mine does), what is the point in buying a new one?

Don't feed the troll, he has posted many things like this.

AnonMac50
Jun 25, 2013, 10:04 AM
I have a wonderful iBook G4 with 10.4.11 that I use for quite a lot of things.