Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
After using Hotmail for 6 months (on the road) I feel like kicking this POS to the moon and back. I can't figure out how to get a GMail account set up though - is it just for developers or something?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Thanks ColoJohnBoy! And sorry PM666 I could not take you up! I have to say that was commendably quick - I feel so popular!! :p

Now to see what all the fuss is about... :cool:

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
It's faster than Hotmail! Great! And is there a Mail.app plugin for viewing in Mail, just like the hotmail one?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
johnnyjibbs said:
It's faster than Hotmail! Great! And is there a Mail.app plugin for viewing in Mail, just like the hotmail one?
On gmail's site you can find step by step directions to set up POP mail so that it will work through/with Apple's Mail. It's neat. :eek: I like it!

:edit: Here is the link to the page that walks you through setting up the POP mail.

erickg

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
Actually you can use Gmail as a regular POP mail account, not plugin required. Just click on the settings button in Gmail and enable it. There are detailed instructions there on how to set it up in Mail for OS X (probably also for Entourage, but I use Mail). Welcome to the world of Gmail! :)

Edit: Ahhh! Devilot, you're too quick! :p

katereid@mac.co

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2005
gmail account

Please,please can anyone help me - my .mac account expires in 10 days and I do not want to renew it as its waste of money for me,but would ove to set up a gmail account. So to get to my point I believe you have to be invited. Can anyone invite me? Pleeeeeeease?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
katereid@mac.co said:
Please,please can anyone help me - my .mac account expires in 10 days and I do not want to renew it as its waste of money for me,but would ove to set up a gmail account. So to get to my point I believe you have to be invited. Can anyone invite me? Pleeeeeeease?

did you read this thread? click on the link to the thread with the gmail invites... :rolleyes: :confused:

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
katereid@mac.co said:

I sent one, although you have probably already gotten one. But I have about a billion invites, might as well use them up.

jwhil

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
I'd like an invite!!

Pick me! Pick me!
If anyone would be so kind as to payitforward, I'm ready for gmail. Tired of the yahoomail problems with pop account.
Thanks in advance to the kind soul who responds.:)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
jwhil said:
Pick me! Pick me!
If anyone would be so kind as to payitforward, I'm ready for gmail. Tired of the yahoomail problems with pop account.
Thanks in advance to the kind soul who responds.:)

You can request an invite in this . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.