PDA

View Full Version : iPod Won't Turn On Unless I Reset It

davidanderson1
Sep 1, 2005, 10:23 AM
I have a 4G Click Wheel 20GB iPod, only about 8 months old. It worked fine for about 6 months, but recently a very aggravating problem has come up. My iPod will not turn on after it has been off for a while unless I hold down the middle and lower buttons to soft-reset it. Then, it displays the Apple logo for a while and works again. Sometimes it will turn on with no problem, but if it has been off for more than say 6 or 8 hours it won't turn on without a rest.

This is aggravating, but it is still functional. The iPod is still under warranty, so I could send it in, but I am disturbed by a clause in Apple's Repair Terms and Conditions, Section 3:

Service Exclusions and Diagnostic Fee. Apple may charge you a diagnostic fee including shipping charges, of no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, (“Diagnostic Fee”), plus applicable tax, if Apple inspects your product and determines based on the inspection that the product does not require service. If Apple determines, while inspecting your product, that service is needed due to the failure of parts that are neither supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded, Apple may return the product to you without servicing it, and may charge you the Diagnostic Fee plus applicable sales tax.

So, if Apple doesn't consider this a problem, they can charge me up to $100!?! Should I send it in or resign myself to reseting the iPod every time?

rockthecasbah
Sep 1, 2005, 11:11 AM
I have a 4G Click Wheel 20GB iPod, only about 8 months old. It worked fine for about 6 months, but recently a very aggravating problem has come up. My iPod will not turn on after it has been off for a while unless I hold down the middle and lower buttons to soft-reset it. Then, it displays the Apple logo for a while and works again. Sometimes it will turn on with no problem, but if it has been off for more than say 6 or 8 hours it won't turn on without a rest.

This is aggravating, but it is still functional. The iPod is still under warranty, so I could send it in, but I am disturbed by a clause in Apple's Repair Terms and Conditions, Section 3:

Service Exclusions and Diagnostic Fee. Apple may charge you a diagnostic fee including shipping charges, of no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, (“Diagnostic Fee”), plus applicable tax, if Apple inspects your product and determines based on the inspection that the product does not require service. If Apple determines, while inspecting your product, that service is needed due to the failure of parts that are neither supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded, Apple may return the product to you without servicing it, and may charge you the Diagnostic Fee plus applicable sales tax.

So, if Apple doesn't consider this a problem, they can charge me up to $100!?! Should I send it in or resign myself to reseting the iPod every time?

Your issue has been seen in many 4g iPods where there an issue with the sleep mode...but yours seems extra problematic. My old 4g would do that if i didn't use it for a day or 2. Try restoring the iPod, not just resetting. If it still does this bring it to a nearby Apple Store if possible, they will give a test for free and only charge for servicing if you are out of warranty (which you indeed are not).

DrVu96
Sep 1, 2005, 07:16 PM
My 1 gen iPod mini does the same thing... I have to hold the Menu and Select buttons for a few seconds, wait for the apple logo to pop up, and then it will work. Funny, huh.

Note to self: go to Saddle Creek Apple Store..

pammyspyce
Sep 2, 2005, 01:33 AM
My 4th Gen iPod does that too. It's 8 months old as well. And all this time I thought it was normal. Ha! I think I'll be taking mine to the local Apple store soon.

drb6
Sep 4, 2005, 09:58 PM
Your issue has been seen in many 4g iPods where there an issue with the sleep mode...but yours seems extra problematic. My old 4g would do that if i didn't use it for a day or 2. Try restoring the iPod, not just resetting. If it still does this bring it to a nearby Apple Store if possible, they will give a test for free and only charge for servicing if you are out of warranty (which you indeed are not).

whats the difference between resetting and restoring it? My ipod sometimes does not turn on easily when it hasn't been used for awhile. I'm not sure what i press, whether i press a combination of buttons or just keep pressing the play/pause button. but after awhile the apple logo shows up and turns on. when it does, music is still there and everything. I thought when you reset it, it wipes out everything. or is that what happens when it restores it?

I'm confused, i didn't realize this was a problem at all.