Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I just updated my java through the App store and when I typed "java" into spotlight, I got "Java VisualVM" without an icon so I clicked on it and it appeared in dock and then disappeared. What is this? Do I need it? How do I fix this? If I don't need it how would I delete it?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just updated my java through the App store and when I typed "java" into spotlight, I got "Java VisualVM" without an icon so I clicked on it and it appeared in dock and then disappeared. What is this? Do I need it? How do I fix this? If I don't need it how would I delete it?

That is the Java Virtual Machine and it is used when a local Java based application is run. It is not intended to be run on its own. Just leave it be.

niallc

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
No, you don't need it, unless you are a developer.

It is a tool to monitor and profile Java processes, and it very useful to developers.

You will notice that this jvisualvm (the executable for this) is missing from here, which is where /usr/bin/jvisualvm re-directs to, through various links.
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Home/bin

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
No, you don't need it, unless you are a developer.

It is a tool to monitor and profile Java processes, and it very useful to developers.

You will notice that this jvisualvm (the executable for this) is missing from here, which is where /usr/bin/jvisualvm re-directs to, through various links.
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Home/bin

I actually am a developer. And I noticed that the jvisualvm was in /usr/bin but it wasn't in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Home/bin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.